Do most of you use an iwb kydex holster for carry? - Page 4

Do most of you use an iwb kydex holster for carry?

This is a discussion on Do most of you use an iwb kydex holster for carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Only Kydex holsters I have used, thus far, are the hybrids, and I have grown to dislike that design immensely. Personal preference....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Do most of you use an iwb kydex holster for carry?

Only Kydex holsters I have used, thus far, are the hybrids, and I have grown to dislike that design immensely. Personal preference.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tusky View Post
    I carry mostly a 1911 4.25 inch always IWB and the 4:30 position in a kydex holster. Iíve tried various holsters and always come back to my kydex IWB holsters. I have the drawer and box full of holsters like everyone else. My other edc is a compact pistol and that also only gets carried in a kydex IWB holster. I find it provides the best mix of retention, concealability, ability to draw quickly, and comfort.
    I thought the same thing until I tried a summer special 2...IWB winner for the 1911 hands down!!
    OD*, BigJon10125 and OldChap like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    It is physics...more precisely, it is gravity. And it is personal choice. Whatever you choose works for you, fine. For most people a gunbelt, which doesn't have to be heavy and bulky, works for them.
    Oh of course. A Gun belt will always be good to go. Itís just not really needed for a very small, lightweight gun like an Airweight J Frame worn IWB. I say that and normally wear a Wilderness 5 stitch belt anyway. Besides supporting a heavy pistol IWB, itís comfortable and infinitely adjustable. For those really heavy guns, worn IWB or OWB, like an all steel Govt Model, my Kramer Horsehide Belt fits the need very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OldChap likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Iíve used leather, kydex, and hybrid holsters and have grown to like Kydex the most for edc, but a good leather holster is nice to have.
    OldChap likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Nope, I am old school traditionalist. I like my guns being metal and all of my holsters are leather. Love the feel, smell and the ability to conform to the weapon and the body, something plastic cannot do.
    OD*, forester58, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

What belt are you using? As others have already stated, a good holster means little without a good base to hang it on. I can't recommend this Recycled Firefighter belt enough. Hands down, the best nylon belt I've used and I've had a few.
    The Skeleton holster is not a purpose built AIWB holster. It will not work well in that position no matter what. A claw and/or a wedge is needed, IMO, to make AIWB work at it's best. Some disagree with that but that's ok. It's what I've found works best form me.
    I resisted the sidecar style AIWB holster for a long time. I figured how the heck is something that big going to be comfortable IWB? I was having a hard enough time making the minimalist single clip holsters conceal comfortably. I finally decided to give one a shot when I found a T-Rex Sidecar used for a great deal. Man, I'm so glad I did. It's hard to describe the difference in feel over the smaller single clip design. But it definitely feels better to me. It has 2 clips so it has better stability and distributes the weight of the pistol better than a single clip. The single clip design tends to tilt some on the belt changing the location of the grip slightly too. I was a die hard minimalist when it came to holsters. I just couldn't wrap my head around more holster = more comfort. But, for me, it just works. And the setup got even better when I bought the Recycled Firefighter belt. I make no claims that this is the best solution for you, or anyone else for that matter. It's what has worked for me. Holsters are a very subjective and personal thing. Even more so than the pistols we carry.
    OldChap and Rabbit212 like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ďExperience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyrannyĒ
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    I thought the same thing until I tried a summer special 2...IWB winner for the 1911 hands down!!
    I'll see your Summer Special II and raise you a Versa Max II!

My wife has some unique kydex designs she has been trying out. Definitely geared towards ladies. Some have suede on them which seems like a good idea.
    Chief1297 and OD* like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I'll see your Summer Special II and raise you a Versa Max II!

My wife has some unique kydex designs she has been trying out. Definitely geared towards ladies. Some have suede on them which seems like a good idea.
    Sadly, I have never tried a versa max 2. I hear nothing but good things so I will take your word for it. It does spread out the weight so it makes sense to me. My SS2 works fantastic for my lite weight officer's and I don't really carry my steel full size 1911s. Some folks don't mind kydex but I am definitely not one of them.
    OD* and BigJon10125 like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Sadly, I have never tried a versa max 2. I hear nothing but good things so I will take your word for it. It does spread out the weight so it makes sense to me. My SS2 works fantastic for my lite weight officer's and I don't really carry my steel full size 1911s. Some folks don't mind kydex but I am definitely not one of them.
    My sentiments exactly! I need a SSII!
    OD* likes this.
    BigJon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links