Why do dual magazine holders take up so much real estate?

This is a discussion on Why do dual magazine holders take up so much real estate? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at dual magazine holders lately and all of them appear to take up much more space on the belt than I would ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Why do dual magazine holders take up so much real estate?

I've been looking at dual magazine holders lately and all of them appear to take up much more space on the belt than I would like. It appears more practical to me to just use two individual magazine carriers. Is it my imagination, or is there a better solution?
    simple_man17 and Rexster like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Maybe you are looking at the wrong one?

I use Bladetech, Blackhawk and Fobus double mag pouches and none of them take up any more space than the two mags.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

I haven't noticed them taking up a ton of space, but there is some distance between the magazines....presumably so you can grab them individually easier.

Esse quam videri
    G26Raven and Pete63 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I use Simply Rugged's doubles and they, in .45, fit nicely between jeans belt loops...I have two singles which have kinda like wings on them to stabilize, made of kydex...now THEY are too wide.
    G26Raven likes this.

If you are going with singles I recommend Kytex gear. Super slim design.
    KYTEX Shooting Gear | Shooting Accessories for Competition, Carry & Duty
    G26Raven likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I've been looking at dual magazine holders lately and all of them appear to take up much more space on the belt than I would like. It appears more practical to me to just use two individual magazine carriers. Is it my imagination, or is there a better solution?
    You need the extra space to get a decent grip on the 1st mag while doing a reload........2nd mag, not an issue.
    G26Raven and Pete63 like this.
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    Pocket carry has always been an easier, preferable method for me when it comes to spare mags.
    G26Raven likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Bianci and Safariland make slimline models that turn the mags face out instead of flat to your hip, they range from 2 to5 mags
    https://www.galls.com/brands/bianchi
    https://www.galls.com/safariland-sli...002131&PMSRCH=
    Snub44 and G26Raven like this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Here's what I use. Doesn't take up much more space than just the mags.

DeSantis 4006948 Single Stack Double Magazine Pouch for 9mm/40 Cal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048KMKCO..._kge3Cb8G65EKB
    Pete63 and G26Raven like this.

From a makers perspective, it's harder to wrap material around 2 mags than one. It's the material in the middle that causes some issue and how to attach it to the back. For leather I've started using one stitch line in the middle instead of one for each mag to shorten it some. Then the attachment points make a difference. Fore and aft on leather just add space too. But loops on the back may not be as stable.

I do a clip on single mag holder with a clip on the back. I could probably carry 3 of those and be the same size as a double pancake. So some of it is style and some of it is material that limits what can be done. Then customer wants can drive the market too. My single clip on is not as popular as my single pancake. Go figure. I've even mentioned carrying two singles to folks worried about space, they usually just buy a double instead. Again, go figure.
    G26Raven and Rexster like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Here's what I use. Doesn't take up much more space than just the mags.

DeSantis 4006948 Single Stack Double Magazine Pouch for 9mm/40 Cal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048KMKCO..._kge3Cb8G65EKB
    I use these also. And a similar version from Bianchi. Like @Chuck R. said, you want some room to make a quick change!
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I use 2 individual carrier for IWB and OWB. I can space them as I see fit for comfort and I can just use one if a second seems unnecessary.
    G26Raven and Rexster like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Big, flat things do not fit me, very well, unless worn forward of the hips, which is not concealable, or, centered behind my back, which is not very accessible, not very comfortable, and probably not very healthy. For concealed carry, I use single mag pouches.

Another factor is that I want concealed spare mags to be accessible to each hand. My “primary” weapon hand remains my right hand, as my default carry position is the right hip area, but my right thumb/wrist/shoulder are not what they used to be, so I am probably going to transition the handgun to my left hand, if I have to hold it for more than a very brief period*. This means that my right hand may well be the one reaching for a spare mag.

Moreover, if toting Glock mags, which are not only double-column, but thick-walled, a double mag pouch, with mags in it, makes it look like I am shoplifting a box of Wheaties, or something like that. If concealed means concealed, that includes the spare magazines.

*This is especially true when carrying a Glock; Glocks are my “lefty” weapons.
    G26Raven likes this.

Is this a topological problem or some kind of geometry exercise.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Is this a topological problem or some kind of geometry exercise.
    It's a space issue.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links