How many of you own a support side holster?

This is a discussion on How many of you own a support side holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read many times that it's a good idea to have a support side holster in the event your primary arm/hand is injured. I was ...

View Poll Results: Do you own a support side holster?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I own one support side holster.

10 16.39%
  • Yes, I own several support side holsters.

16 26.23%
  • No, I do not own any support side holsters.

35 57.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: How many of you own a support side holster?

I've read many times that it's a good idea to have a support side holster in the event your primary arm/hand is injured. I was giving it some thought today and although I have quite a few holsters, I do not own even one for my support side (I am right handed). I was thinking about which pistol I should buy one for, how good a holster I should get, etc. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Note: This poll is not focused on those that regularly carry two firearms, but aimed (pun intended) at those of us who normally only carry a single firearm, and have an injury that puts their primary side out of commission for an extended period of time. Sorry if that was not made clear earlier.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Never thought of it, if I do carry a BUG it is pocket carried.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Never thought of it, if I do carry a BUG it is pocket carried.
    My primary pocket carry holster is also for my right side. Really have to give this some more thought on what is the most intelligent way to handle it. I do have an ambidextrous Galco that could go in my left pocket.
    Snub44 and Old Man like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've been considering it. However, at this time I do not. I've been thinking about getting a short barreled revolver and pocket holster to carry on my weak side.
    G26Raven and Snub44 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I seldom carry 2 guns...when I do, one of the guns is in my pocket...the only way that I will carry 2 guns.
    Old Man likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Appendix carry let's me draw with either hand. Might not be as smooth or fast but it works.
    Snub44, G26Raven and hogdaddy like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    I seldom carry 2 guns...when I do, one of the guns is in my pocket...the only way that I will carry 2 guns.
    The poll isn't really about carrying two guns, but how to handle being armed in the event your primary side has an injury that puts it out of commission for an extended period of time.
    Snub44 and Old Man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Appendix carry let's me draw with either hand. Might not be as smooth or fast but it works.
    I had not really thought about that option. I will have to try that and see if I have sufficient flexibility to get a good grip and do that.
    Rabbit212 and Snub44 like this.

I have a whole drawer full of holsters and I have used all kinds, but I have no idea what a "support side holster" is, nor have I heard that term in 50 years of shooting handguns. You mind explaining?
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    The poll isn't really about carrying two guns, but how to handle being armed in the event your primary side has an injury that puts it out of commission for an extended period of time.
    How is it not about carrying 2 guns...are you asking if I carry a my gun off my primary side? Would I do that just in case my primary side gets hurt...in that event, it should have been on my primary side.

You asked about carrying on the support side...that means 2 guns, or at least it does to me.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

VIP Member
    I don't have a support side I have two strong sides. I own many both right and left handed and practice drawing, reloading from both sides.
    G26Raven, Pete63, Gabill and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Thinking back to when I had rotator cuff surgery, if you have something like that on your shooting hand side, it will be several weeks at minimum before you can draw and aim with your strong hand. This has been discussed on several other threads and it really is a good idea to train and learn to shoot with either hand. Or take it farther: As @rob99VM104 said - he has "two strong sides."

There are several quality holster brands that can be ordered and delivered to you in about a week, so if you don't want to invest money in an "off side" holster in case you never need to carry that way, I don't see it as a major problem.
    hogdaddy, OD*, Gabill and 2 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I normally always carry a pocket gun in my left front pocket (right handed), with a bigger iwb gun. But I do also have Remoras or Sticky holsters for all of my guns, so I can and have used them support side iwb.

Some people don't care for Remoras, but I like em alot. I have taken my German Shepherd for 5 mile hikes while carrying anything from my p2000sk to my 3" Gp100, and they have never budged. I like that they can be placed anywhere around the belt line that you want. Makes for a good floater gun.
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.

I own both left-hand and right-hand pancake style belt holsters. I am left-handed and right eye dominant. I have primarily carried and shot right-handed since 1969. Off-hand drills are a piece of cake for me. I can carry and shoot from either or both sides. I have carried guns on both hips.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I suppose if you were really that concerned about it, then it’s a good idea.

But hell, I ain’t. If my strong arm goes down , I’ll just do what I did the last time and either just wear my 1911 holster on the other side, stick it in my offside sans holster Mexican style, or just pocket carry on the left side.
    OD*, G26Raven, forester58 and 5 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links