Question for those that carry OWB. - Page 2

Question for those that carry OWB.

This is a discussion on Question for those that carry OWB. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mycamaro_68 Ok any recommendations for leather pancake holsters that are good value/quality? I don't want to spend a ton of money but ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Question for those that carry OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycamaro_68 View Post
    Ok any recommendations for leather pancake holsters that are good value/quality? I don't want to spend a ton of money but also dont want the cheapest POS either.
    Kramer Horsehide OWB Belt Scabbard = as good as it gets.
    I've been using one since the early 90s. It is my primary carry holster during the Spring, Fall and Winter (Summer and those times that I need/want more concealment I'll use one of my IWB rigs).

I even used the Kramer scabbard for my plain clothes on duty assignment with my SIG P220. Today my carry gun is my Glock 19, though I am playing around with a Gen 26 that has a grip reduction on it that I really like (first 26 that I have cared for).

Good luck with your search.
    forester58 likes this.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Ok any recommendations for leather pancake holsters that are good value/quality? I don't want to spend a ton of money but also dont want the cheapest POS either.
    I have always liked Don Hume from Gunners alley. Thinner leather but well boned to fit your gun model and reasonably priced plus I wear 1.75" wide belts and theirs have 1.75" loops.
    There are makers who make high ride pancakes which work great for a light gun like your shield. Try Sideguard holsters for leather or an adjustable height Kydex like Bravo Concealment.
    OD* and hogdaddy like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Back when I was young & skinny I carried a snub OWB crossdraw.
    This was in AZ, pre-Constitutional carry, so I carried "semi-concealed". Any part of the gun or holster exposed was legal.
    So an inch or less of holster peeked out the bottom of my zipper hoodie.
    If anyone ever noticed, they never said anything to me (before cellphones).
    Nowadays when I OWB it's open carry at 3:00.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

DG
    I carry a Smith & Wesson J-frame in a Galco cross draw holster. If anybody has ever noticed, they never said anything. Probably the only people who might notice are people who are carrying themselves. Like was previously posted, most people are too self absorbed to notice what's going on around them.

I carry SCCY cpx 2 in a Tactical justice IWB kydex holster in the spring to fall. much easier to conceal carry at about the 2:30 position.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! I will look into all these holsters, also if anyone has an OWB holster for a Shield that is taking up space in thier holster drawer, let me know.

CBP gives trainees a Gould & Goodrich OWB holster... which I had to use in the “off duty” class. I’ll keep it, but it is a useless holster I’ll never use. Complete garbage.

We had a FAM that gave us a lesson for firearms, and he was talking to us about that holster. Think someone left the academy without a holster, and just shoved it in a bag... which the deployment of the holster to trainees was a knee jerk reaction. The same FAM said his group gave a few good holster recommendations... yet this piece of junk was decided afterwards.

That being said, I have a AIWB holster on the way to me. I drive a lot, so prefer that setup. Yet, I wanted to get one OWB, as I’ll be up in ME and like options. Picked up the Bianchi OWB with locking lever that your middle finger engages. It is secure, just don’t like how thick the locking mechanism is. But leaps and bounds better that the one I was issued.

I'm 5'9", 150lbs, and have no problem concealing a Glock 19 or 4" 1911 (same size guns) OWB in a Galco leather holster. I don't even need a gun belt for the 19, a stiff Carhartt leather belt is sufficient. The 1911 is just heavy enough that it needs a little extra stiffness in the belt, though, so I do wear an actual gun belt with it.

I am curious about carrying OWB. I just started carrying a few years ago and have always carried IWB with kydex holsters. Today the holster for my Shield broke where the clip attaches so I need to get something new anyway. So when you guys carry OWB (I'm thinking leather pancake style) is it difficult to keep the muzzle end concealed? I realize a longer shirt would cover better but I would think that would mean more shirt to fumble with to draw the weapon. I think my normal attire would cover decent until I have to reach high for something and then I would be concerned about my shirt riding up high enough to expose the holster. Am I overthinking this or is this a valid concern? Thanks for any input.

I carry a Glock 19X OWB in a Bianchi pancake, or a Colt Defender 1911 in a Tagua pancake. I'm 5'9", 215, and I wear 2xl polo or tee shirts. You're overthinking. FTR, The Bianchi paddle was 38 bucks at Rural King. The Tagua was gently used for 25 from a pawn shop. It's sized for a full-size 1911, so that increases my options. Still looking for a pancake for the Glock 30SF

flh
    I use owb occasionally as others have said a good belt is a must , if reaching for something high up use your weak hand to retrieve it when your shirt lifts a little , it's not a problem the weapon is on the other side

Glock 19-23
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question for those that carry OWB.-img_0677.jpg  

Rockymonster likes this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

The part of a handgun that is most difficult to conceal is the grip - the part that extends 90 degrees from the barrel. If you don't believe that, try (or at least think about) concealing an AR-15 pistol on your waist. Most of us who wear long T-shirts could actually conceal it fairly well, EXCEPT for the pistol grip and the 30 round magazine!

One of the secrets I have discovered is to use a real gun belt no matter whether I carry OWB, IWB, or AIWB. I frequently carry OWB, but contrary to most, I run the belt through the loops so that it is on the outside of the holster, rather than the inside. That holds the holster much closer to the body, reducing any print.

One of my favorite concealment holsters is the Vedder.

https://www.vedderholsters.com/lighttuck/
    flh, Henry9008, hogdaddy and 1 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    Barrel length matters some, but grip length matters more. I now carry a SA XD45 Mod2 Sub over a tucked in T and under an untucked Columbia shirt. I use an OWB KRounds pancake. People are basically clueless to the fact that you are carrying regardless of how you do it. I've had people put their hand on my pistol while exchanging hugs at church and they had no idea they had done so.

This is all assuming you don't live in a communist state.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    The part of a handgun that is most difficult to conceal in the grip - the part that extends 90 degrees from the barrel. If you don't believe that, try (or at least think about) concealing an AR-15 pistol on your waist. Most of us who wear long T-shirts could actually conceal it fairly well, EXCEPT for the pistol grip and the 30 round magazine!

One of the secrets I have discovered is to use a real gun belt no matter whether I carry OWB, IWB, or AIWB. I frequently carry OWB, but contrary to most, I run the belt through the loops so that it is on the outside of the holster, rather than the inside. That holds the holster much closer to the body, reducing any print.

One of my favorite concealment holsters is the Vedder.

https://www.vedderholsters.com/lighttuck/
    Genius, I say! Pure. Stinking. Genius! I'm DEFINITELY trying that. Thanks for the tip OldChap!
    OldChap and EddieFL like this.

Senior Moderator
    Years ago I only carried IWB, but after various body parts being removed and others replaced, OWB carry became the more comfortable method. No problems here in Florida as I just wear loose fitting shirts and now ONLY carry OWB. I use good leather holsters, a quality leather belt, and can easily conceal any of my Glocks 19, 26, 30SF, and even my 21 at times. Concealment is not about the barrel length, but rather the length of the grip, and with the correct clothing (even in the FL heat), no problems.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I use owb occasionally as others have said a good belt is a must , if reaching for something high up use your weak hand to retrieve it when your shirt lifts a little , it's not a problem the weapon is on the other side

Glock 19-23
    Flh......who made your holster?
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links