Question for those that carry OWB.

This is a discussion on Question for those that carry OWB. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious about carrying OWB. I just started carrying a few years ago and have always carried IWB with kydex holsters. Today the holster ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Question for those that carry OWB.

I am curious about carrying OWB. I just started carrying a few years ago and have always carried IWB with kydex holsters. Today the holster for my Shield broke where the clip attaches so I need to get something new anyway. So when you guys carry OWB (I'm thinking leather pancake style) is it difficult to keep the muzzle end concealed? I realize a longer shirt would cover better but I would think that would mean more shirt to fumble with to draw the weapon. I think my normal attire would cover decent until I have to reach high for something and then I would be concerned about my shirt riding up high enough to expose the holster. Am I overthinking this or is this a valid concern? Thanks for any input.

Ex Member
    Concealment OWB is going to depend on individual body size and gun size. I a a trim 165 pounds, whatever I wear showns on me so I carry a gun they will get the job done and which I can conceal. The photos below show my OEB concealed PPS M2. In a Bianchi Foldaway Holster. If I tried to OWB conceal a larger gun it would not work as well.

Question for those that carry OWB.-debddd0b-0cd4-49c2-9061-4cbe2995b8e2.jpeg

Name:  F323B480-E4DE-42CE-8134-DC6BBC7CD128.jpeg
Views: 236
Size:  50.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mycamaro_68 View Post
    So when you guys carry OWB (I'm thinking leather pancake style) is it difficult to keep the muzzle end concealed?
    Mycamaro_68,

I OWB carry either my Kahr K9 or my Sig M11-A1. 9:00 position, leather pancake holster with thumb break, FBI cant. Holster completely covers the muzzle. I do have to be mindful of revealing the muzzle end of the holster, though. Wearing a dark holster, and dark belt, and dark(er) pants, and having a pistol that's not too long help keep my CCW from being recognized for what it is, though, I think.

rx7sig

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

when carrying OWB I carry a DB9FS. The holster covers just even with the muzzle.
    I use a pancake DeSantis Speed Scabbard open top holster.FBI cant. A good gun belt is also necessary.
    6Ft @240 Lbs. 2XL Shirts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question for those that carry OWB.-f8mqlac.jpg  

Question for those that carry OWB.-cccarry1.jpg  

Senior Moderator
    I rarely carry IWB, and for lots of reasons I lean toward paddle holsters. An untucked shirt here in AZ is adequate cover for 8 months of the year. Most commonly these days I'm carrying a .45 Shield, and a dark or patterned untucked shirt provides plenty of cover for all but the most discerning and trained eyes.
    OD*, Helix, AzQkr and 3 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

You are overthinking this. Don't worry about your shirt riding up, as the Sheep are too engaged w/ their shiny phones to notice anything going on around them.

Wear the holster you want, and dress to conceal.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

I carry full size guns OWB in a leather pancake style holster @ 3:00 with a spare magazine @ 9:00. I wear a one size larger untucked shirt to cover.
    Goldy49 and hogdaddy like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming! I am 5'10" and 200lbs and usually wear xl shirts. I do sometimes carry a full size m&p9 that I cut the grip down to accept compact magazines so that would definitely be harder to conceal because of the barrel length.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming! I am 5'10" and 200lbs and usually wear xl shirts. I do sometimes carry a full size m&p9 that I cut the grip down to accept compact magazines so that would definitely be harder to conceal because of the barrel length.
    Barrel length is a minimal factor in concealability, compared to the width of the gun and the length of the grip. One of the guns I carry in a paddle holster is a full-sized Sig 220 with a 4.4" barrel, with no more concerns about concealment than the Shield. You just take care to dress around the gun.
    OD*, Poorly, bigmacque and 4 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I find rubber grips harder to conceal. They cause my shirt to bunch up. Smooth wood grips work best for me.
    rotorhead1026 and Goldy49 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I agree that barrel length isn't the real issue. My carry gun has a 4.75" barrel. Cant can help a lot.

As a side note...Does your user ID mean you have a 68 Camaro?
    I have a 70 parked in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Barrel length is a minimal factor in concealability, compared to the width of the gun and the length of the grip. One of the guns I carry in a paddle holster is a full-sized Sig 220 with a 4.4" barrel, with no more concerns about concealment than the Shield. You just take care to dress around the gun.
    I was surprised how similar my "compact" M&P9 carried compared to my Shield. Grip length are almost identical to each other and the double stack feels better in my hand. I also feel like the longer barrel/slide helps to keep the butt of the gun tucked in better than the Shield

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyR View Post
    I agree that barrel length isn't the real issue. My carry gun has a 4.75" barrel. Cant can help a lot.

As a side note...Does your user ID mean you have a 68 Camaro?
    I have a 70 parked in the garage.
    Yes I do have a 68 Camaro. Is yours a split bumper? I love the front ends on the split bumpers!

Ok any recommendations for leather pancake holsters that are good value/quality? I don't want to spend a ton of money but also dont want the cheapest POS either.

I carry a Shield in a DeSantis Mini-Scabbard with no problems concealing with a loose T-shirt or Columbia type fishing shirt.
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links