AIWB / Cross Draw holster padding

This is a discussion on AIWB / Cross Draw holster padding within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a Vedder Light Tuck to use in the AIWB position. After a time I just couldn't get used to having my gun ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By eatfire
  • 1 Post By TSKnight
  • 1 Post By Holmes375
  • 1 Post By matthew03

Thread: AIWB / Cross Draw holster padding

I recently bought a Vedder Light Tuck to use in the AIWB position. After a time I just couldn't get used to having my gun pointing at my femoral artery. So I decided to give cross draw a try. I really like this position. Easy and natural to draw from and the barrel of my gun is pointing just past my leg, which I like. However I have a slight comfort issue. The holster begins to dig into the top of my leg after a while. What have you guys who carry cross draw or appendix used to pad the holster?

Following. I've always wondered why Texas Rangers, US Marshalls, cowboys, outlaws, etc carried crossdraw. Not just in the movies but old historical pics too.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    Following. I've always wondered why Texas Rangers, US Marshalls, cowboys, outlaws, etc carried crossdraw. Not just in the movies but old historical pics too.

All I can say is after carrying strong side, and AIWB for a time cross draw just feels natural when drawing the firearm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Sorry I don't have a good answer for you.

The only way I have carried crossdraw is my Blackhawk in an OWB holster.
    With a contoured holster the barrel sets to the outside of my left leg with the main weight above my leg and in front.
    Very comfortable while seated and easy to access. Even bouncing around in a tractor or on the 4-wheeler I don't have any problems.
    Haven't tried crossdraw with the G17 since it has assumed primary EDC duty around the farm this summer. Only have one holster that works with the Holosun mounted.

Have tried AIWB with the G19, but it doesn't work as well for me as a traditional IWB at 3-4 o'clock.
    I have a Vedder Life Tuck. It came with a neoprene wedge which worked well until it started to come apart. I replaced it with a Dr. Sholes gel heal insert. Works just as well and is a little softer.
    Part of the problem is with my back/neck injuries my posture sucks. Try slouching with a pistol digging into your stomach.
    No problem with correct posture, but I can't maintain it for long due to the pain.
    eatfire likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Gotta ask, what firearm are ya carrying?

I am right handed and CC CD @ approx 10:30. Or as I like to call it, SIWB.
    I usually prefer a holster with an offset clip for that position.
    I modified a kydex holster, adding a leather sweat shield and removing excess material from the base.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post

Crossdraw is a nice horseback carry.position, especially with the larger longer barreled revolvers.. I carry crossdraw when driving using a Sticky holster that is kept in the vehicle for such purpose.
    forester58 likes this.

I use a Vedder LiteTuck with a G43 in the crossdraw position. Great choice if you are in and out of a car a lot too because there is no interference with the seatbelt (for right handers). Now I use the crossdraw position all the time - no other padding needed.

I carry a Sig P229 AIWB in a JM Custom Kydex. I don't use anything to "pad" the holster. I do use a Dr. Scholls gel heel pad on the lower end of the holster, not for padding but to lever the muzzle out to keep the butt of the gun tucked in. I suppose that does some padding up against my thigh. I'm 5'9" and 155 pounds.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

If you are using your Aiwb holster in a cross draw position, it's probably not in the proper cant. It should have negative cant. That keeps it from digging into the leg.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

3inch SP101in Simply Rugged #2 leather.
    As much forward cant in 2 to 2:30 position.
    Just for reference! I am 6 foot and 172 libs at 75+ years old.
    I can have this on belt for 6 hours and no problems. I am right handed and holster on right side.
    I can carry my gp-100 in the same configuration, just not as comfortable.
    Your mileage will probably differ, but carry what feels best. Tom in Oregon TKH

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Gotta ask, what firearm are ya carrying?

I am right handed and CC CD @ approx 10:30. Or as I like to call it, SIWB.
    I usually prefer a holster with an offset clip for that position.
    I modified a kydex holster, adding a leather sweat shield and removing excess material from the base.
    Thank you all for responding. I am carrying a Glock 27 sub compact. I'm about 5'11" and 175lbs. I'm using a Vedder Light Tuck which is advertised to be usable in any position, but AIWB and cross draw seem to be the preferred positions. I am using a negative cant. In terms of using a pad to pull the butt of the gun into my body, with the "claw" attachment I haven't seen a need for that. I may try a Dr. Scholls heel pad just to see if it could be a little more comfortable. For the most part the holster is comfortable but after a long period of carrying I do begin to feel some pain. The sweat shield idea may be an option as well. I originally had an Alien Gear Shape Shift (hybrid) AIWB. And I did carry it AIWB. It was comfortable but printed horribly, very bulky. This was the only time my wife had complained she could easily see my firearm.

Printing can be a problem with cross-draw. Although I much prefer cross-draw, I usually carry that way only in colder weather since it is easier to conceal under a jacket than a shirt.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!
    "Never mistake motion for action" - Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    Printing can be a problem with cross-draw. Although I much prefer cross-draw, I usually carry that way only in colder weather since it is easier to conceal under a jacket than a shirt.
    Wow it's funny you should say that. I've found that I have less problem with printing with the cross draw position than I've had with strong side at 3:30, especially if you have to bend or squat to pick something up. This is the whole reason I switched to AIWB, which of course I abandoned for reasons stated earlier. I cary about 11:00 cross draw and I've now been able to wear less "sloppy" shirts. I have historically worn XL or XXL to cover my firearm. I'm now able to wear the correct size T shirt (L) without issue.

Cross draw can be a liability in close proximity gun fights. Very easy to stuff the draw stroke.
    bill35738 likes this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Sponsored Links