how many holsters? and longevity?

This is a discussion on how many holsters? and longevity? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a bad habit of having backups, not only with guns but holsters too and most everything else. I live in Kentucky and opened ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By boomer92266
  • 3 Post By Old Man
  • 3 Post By KevinRohrer
  • 1 Post By Orive 8
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By TSKnight
  • 2 Post By wmhawth
  • 1 Post By KILTED COWBOY

Thread: how many holsters? and longevity?

I have a bad habit of having backups, not only with guns but holsters too and most everything else. I live in Kentucky and opened carry till 5 years ago when I got my permit to conceal a weapon. I bought a Desantis holster then, a dual carry 2, I bought two of them so I would have one for IWB and one for owb without having to change on the clip. I carry everyday 6-12 hours and carry 7 day a week, both holsters still look great without any wear to speak of. with that though I have now bought two more and put them up as back up. I even think I might need backup to my back up. I am on a tight budget and can't save to get a high dollar holster, i have tried and somehing comes up to get my money. But I can't complain on the Desantis, so my question is this, do any of ya'll have backup holsters? and about how long will a decent leather holster last? thanks for any help.
    5lima30ret likes this.

I have right-hand and left-hand OWB pancake style leather holsters of the same model for the same guns. I am left-handed, but right eye dominant. I usually carry handguns right-handed, but sometimes carry left-handed or carry a second gun.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member

How long will leather holsters last?

I am similar in that I have duplicates of some handguns along with holsters that I like to use. In other cases I have different holsters for the same handgun, not just ones I tried and didn't like, but ones that I liked, too.

In my opinion, how long a leather holster will last depends upon a number of things, including the quality of the leather used, how the leather is finished, the thread used, the design, the maker's skill, and how much normal wear and abuse it receives. I have a Lawrence brand leather holster for a revolver that I have owned since 1971 and it is still very good as it approaches fifth years of use by me. I have seen holsters over a hundred years old that were still very serviceable. I would expect some of my holsters will last 100 years or more and others won't.

Here is an old "Hunter" brand for a .22 revolver that has seen a lot of hard wear in the field and is still going strong.
    Name:  hunter holster.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  6.1 KB

I think that this Thad Rybka holster will last a long time. At some point it might need to have a strap added as it loses it's shape,
    how many holsters? and longevity?-thad-rybka-holster-3.jpg

This Red Nichols set will outlast me and likely will be worn by my grandson someday.
    how many holsters? and longevity?-nichols-beat-devil-1.jpg

I think that this Milt Sparks holster will need belt loop replacement someday to keep it going, which isn't a big deal.
    how many holsters? and longevity?-kimber-ultra-ii-milt-sparks-summer-comfort-ii.jpg

This Milt Sparks Axiom with elephant trim will outlast me.
    how many holsters? and longevity?-milt-sparks-axiom-elephant-trim-w-kimber-pro-carry.jpg

This unidentified holster will last a long time due to the fact it is a poor design for me and I don't wear it. It is very comfortable, but the thin leather with no reinforcement on the mouth of the holster results in the holster collapsing when the pistol is drawn, resulting in not being able to re-holster easily. If I am going to wear it I need to have the maker add reinforcement to the mouth, which he would likely do, perhaps matching the black belt strap.
    how many holsters? and longevity?-exodus-holster-1-.jpg
    how many holsters? and longevity?-exodus-holster-3-.jpg
    msgt/ret, wmhawth and OD* like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have a late eighties vintage SafariLand leather high ride w/ thumb break for my 1976 Ruger Police Service Six w/ 2 3/4" bbl that is in excellent condition even though it was carried quite bit in years past. I have a couple of Dillon Leather gun belts that were were worn daily when I was assigned to the Detective Division and they are still solid over 20 years later! Good leather will last many years!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    no back up holsters here, but definitely more than one for each rotational EDC, just different models/makers to suit different seasons and clothing.

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    I own 80-holsters and routinely vary holster and gun carry. I do it because I can.
    OD*, DownInTheDark and Old Man like this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

I have a ton of holsters and always use my custom kydex stuff made by a local guy. T5 Kydex. Great quality and pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like most on a gun forum, I have LOTS of holsters, and had LOTS of holsters that I sold off in the past.

My EDC gun is a Glock 19, the holster that I primarily use during the Spring, Fall, and Winter is a Kramer horsehide OWB belt scabbard. I have been using these holsters since the early 90s, they last - had one from that I bought in 92 or 93 that I used for my SIG P220 off-duty and during a period of time when I worked a plain clothes assignment. After I sold off my SIGs in 2005, I sold that holster - it was still in great shape.

I do have a spare Kramer horsehide belt scabbard for my Glock 19 - just because I like having spares.

During the Summer or when I need/want more concealment, I'll use one of my IWB holsters (Sparks SSII, Comp Tac CTAC, or Comp Tac MTAC). I also have a spare Sparks SSII for my Glock 19 - its my favorite IWB holster. I have some Kydex holsters too...
    Old Man likes this.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

VIP Member
    My .093" kydex pancake holsters come one per gun, and seem to be indestructable.
    Old Man likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Wow, I have had more holsters than I can remember.

The holster I've had the longest and carried the most is a Mitch Rosen "Workman" for my S&W 36. This was my daily carry for 20+ years and still sees some use even though the G19 has replaced it as my EDC. The Workman is still in great shape. The only thing I've done is replaced the snap on the belt loop a couple of times.

Buy quality and you will be less likely to need a backup! JMHO
    Old Man likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer92266 View Post
    I have a bad habit of having backups, not only with guns but holsters too and most everything else. I live in Kentucky and opened carry till 5 years ago when I got my permit to conceal a weapon. I bought a Desantis holster then, a dual carry 2, I bought two of them so I would have one for IWB and one for owb without having to change on the clip. I carry everyday 6-12 hours and carry 7 day a week, both holsters still look great without any wear to speak of. with that though I have now bought two more and put them up as back up. I even think I might need backup to my back up. I am on a tight budget and can't save to get a high dollar holster, i have tried and somehing comes up to get my money. But I can't complain on the Desantis, so my question is this, do any of ya'll have backup holsters? and about how long will a decent leather holster last? thanks for any help.
    I have more extra holsters than any man needs boxed up and taking up space in my garage.

A good quality leather holster with normal use and care can last indefinitely. The link I'm pasting here to a forum thread dealing with vintage holsters may interest you. In any case it's time someone gave it a bump.

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...er-thread.html
    Old Man and TSKnight like this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Have tried a lot, sold or gave away those which donít work for me.
    Only keep what I use for each pistol.
    All are high quality leather.
    I maintain my holsters to the same high standards that I do with my firearms.
    They will outlive me.
    Old Man likes this.

Sponsored Links