Anyone Tried "The Holster King"?

This is a discussion on Anyone Tried "The Holster King"? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I made the long trek across the bridge this morning, to go to the Orange, TX gun show. Not shopping for anything in ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By raytracer
  • 1 Post By Kenny53
  • 2 Post By chiefjason
  • 1 Post By 1MoreFord

Thread: Anyone Tried "The Holster King"?

VIP Member

Hi All,

I made the long trek across the bridge this morning, to go to the Orange, TX gun show. Not shopping for anything in particular, but I did find a few interesting tidbits that I brought home. Among them were two holsters from "The Holster King". When I first walked past them, I figured they were a sort of gimmick, but I listened to the salesman's pitch, saw him go through a pretty good demo, and handled the holsters. When he told me he was selling them at a 'show special' price of $15 each, I decided to pull the trigger and get one leather one and one nylon:

Anyone Tried "The Holster King"?-theholsterking.jpg

Anyone Tried "The Holster King"?-holsterking2.jpg

Please note, I am NOT selling these holsters, and I'm not affiliated with them, but so far, I'm impressed!

This is a "Universal" holster, intended to accommodate almost any pistol or revolver, and can be worn IWB or OWB. When the guy told me it would fit anything from an LCP to a Desert Eagle OR most any revolver, I was skeptical, but it seems he was right, or very nearly so. After I got home, I tried several different guns in it and it seems to handle most of them pretty well, from the .380 mouseguns and J-frames up through a Ruger P85, 4" Colt Lawman Mk III, S&W M69, and a full-size 1911.

My observations (in no particular order):

These appear to be very well-made holsters, particularly considering the price. Material and workmanship are very good. They come with a lifetime guarantee.

The design is surprisingly good at retaining a variety of guns firmly, without making them difficult to draw. Obviously, there's going to be some barrel and/or slide sticking out the bottom for most larger guns. How much just depends on how big the gun is!

Because the holster is designed to snugly hold such a wide range of gun sizes, one-handed holstering is not an option. You've pretty much got to spread the sides of the holster out with one hand while holstering with the other.

While the holster will accommodate a huge range of pistol & revolver sizes, there are a couple of trade-off's. The micro-pistols (e.g. P3AT, LCP, and CW380) may ride low enough in the holster that they are not as quick to access as one might prefer. The large-frame revolvers leave all or most of the trigger exposed, so I don't consider the holster ideal for them.

I also had a concern that the holster might apply pressure to the mag release on some of the autos, but so far I've seen no indication of a problem. I'd want to vet this pretty thoroughly with a particular pistol before relying on this holster for EDC.

In conclusion, I think this is a great low-budget holster, particularly for mid-sized handguns. I would not hesitate to use it for a Shield, M&P Compact, P365, or similarly-sized pistol, and it looks like a good choice for a J-frame or other small to medium frame revolver. It's an excellent fit for my 3" SP101.

All of this is from my short-term experience today, so there could well be downsides I haven't discovered yet. So, wonder if anyone here has used these holsters and can add any insights?
    OD* and PhaedrusIV like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I've got a copy of one around here somewhere. Bought it for my CZ-82 if I ever wanted to tote it. It works, that's about all I can say about it. Not great, not bad. Mine has a clip on one side, belt slots on the other. Versatile in that way.

With belt tension, it holds my CZ well enough. Maybe not if doing cartwheels, but if I'm doing cartwheels, it means I got hit by a tractor-trailer and I don't really care about the gun anymore.
    Kilowatt3, Rooster and Rotorflyr like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have a number of issues with that style of holster, but the biggest issue with those - and all "yaqui" style, even those fitted to the gun - is that the exposed slide/frame below the holster is very easily caught on furniture or other obstructions in a tight environment which can result in your heater clattering around your ankles. Mildly embarrassing at best, at home or among family. Potentially much worse in other situations.
    OD* and M1911A1 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    We have a holster just like it...probably a knockoff...it has worked for a lot of different handguns over a lot of years. If you want to carry a gun and don't yet have a fitted holster...it will work for a lot of handguns.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

I got one or two, haven't use them in a few years. but they worked well enough, think I carried my 1911 most of the time.
    Shootnlead likes this.

In my experience, "one size fits all" really fits nothing particularly well.

I used to make something just like that, except much simpler. It required you to wear a belt.
    It really would hold absolutely any pistol, although not always as securely as one might like.
    I sold hundreds of 'em mail-order. In today's inflated money, what I used to charge $2.00 (including shipping) for would now cost you about $14.00!
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny53 View Post
    I got one or two, haven't use them in a few years. but they worked well enough, think I carried my 1911 most of the time.
    Same with us...although, it HAS carried an assortment over the years.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Those kind of holsters seem to be marketed under some different brand names. I have one for my Bodyguard .380 that is under the brand name "Master's Holsters." Mine seems to be better constructed than the ones in your pictures. I did have a problem with it actuating the mag release, but I cut a notch out of the side of the holster and stitched it up to keep it clear of the release.

I don't think much of this design. Mine lives in the holster drawer now.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Similar to Galco JAK slide

The universal holster shown is similar to the old Galco JAK slide, which was made for many years by Galco. I have a couple of them, and they do fit most guns. It is essentially a belt slide holster allowing the barrel to extend below the holster, and fits inside the belt but outside the pants. So it is more comfortable than most IWB holsters and allows the pressure of the belt to press the gun into your side and keep it in place. You need a pretty good cover garment to be sure you are concealing the exposed barrel. Like most belt slides, it can also dislodge the gun onto the floor if you sit down in a chair with arms that fit closely to your body.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've got a copy of one around here somewhere. Bought it for my CZ-82 if I ever wanted to tote it. It works, that's about all I can say about it. Not great, not bad. Mine has a clip on one side, belt slots on the other. Versatile in that way.

With belt tension, it holds my CZ well enough. Maybe not if doing cartwheels, but if I'm doing cartwheels, it means I got hit by a tractor-trailer and I don't really care about the gun anymore.
    If you need something better I can get you something. I bought the 82 just for making holsters. I've paid for that gun several times over. It's kind of slowed down a bit but still sell quite a few of them.

As to the holster, like said above it's a copy of an older pattern. Not a dig at it. There is not much new under the sun in wrapping guns in leather to carry them. It's hard to have an original design, and some of the more recent original designs I have seen should probably not have been tried.
    OldVet and M1911A1 like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    OP, like you I ran across these at the last gun show I attended and bought one. Not something I'd want to use on a long term basis but definitely nice to have a holster for a new gun while you wait for a purpose fit holster to arrive.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Joe

I have never had great experiences with the "one size" holsters but for 15 bucks they look pretty good!

Sponsored Links