Nuts and bolts in a kydex holster

This is a discussion on Nuts and bolts in a kydex holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So for a lack of a nail a kingdom was lost.... and I'm missing the tensioner bolt from my holster. Iirc it was the bolt ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By M1911A1

Thread: Nuts and bolts in a kydex holster

So for a lack of a nail a kingdom was lost.... and I'm missing the tensioner bolt from my holster. Iirc it was the bolt and a rubber grommet in between - my holster is similar to the one in the picture though mine is an off brand and I cant remember where I got it. It's a great backup holster to my leather one and now I don't trust its retention due to the missing bolt.

I picked up some standard kydex nuts and bolts from amazon but the bolts are too short. Also the nuts have a "sleeve" that fit in the hole while the bolts are loose in it. So.... do they make "necked" bolts and where can I get a longer bolt?

And while it makes not difference it's for my xds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nuts and bolts in a kydex holster-iwb-23_1000-r1_1080x_1568608754618.jpg  

Go to a stationery or office-supply store, and ask for Chicago Screws.
    They come in many lengths. Try several sizes, to see what length you need.

Mostly, you'll find ones made of aluminum. Don't get these.
    Ask the store to special-order them in brass for you.

The tensioning washer is merely the correct size of electronics grommet. Get them at Radio Shack, or the like.
    In electronics, rubber and soft plastic grommets are used to protect wire from the edges of holes drilled through the sides of aluminum chassis boxes.
    The correct size to use as a holster tensioner is the one which fits closely over the thicker part of the Chicago Screw's shaft.

Assemble as a "sandwich": Chicago Screw base (nut), Kydex, grommet, Kydex, Chicago Screw screw.
    Tighten as required, by making trial presentations and adjusting with a screwdriver.
    wmhawth likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Huzar, or you can go to Raven Concealment and they offer a kit of spare parts for Kydex holsters with various screws and nuts. Although I don't wear their holsters much anymore, I have one of these kits and the parts have worked fine in other Kydex holsters.

https://rcsgear.com/basic-hardware-kit/
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    I now have only one Kydex holster and it is warrantied for life so getting parts is not an issue for me. I have parts from other kydex holsters that I have had and modified or discarded. I kept the grommets, bolts, etc. The photo shoes the parts. You can have them if you want them. PM me with an address and I will mail them next day. No charge.

Attachment 301996
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I now have only one Kydex holster and it is warrantied for life so getting parts is not an issue for me. I have parts from other kydex holsters that I have had and modified or discarded. I kept the grommets, bolts, etc. The photo shoes the parts. You can have them if you want them. PM me with an address and I will mail them next day. No charge.

Attachment 301996
    thanks! Link isn't working though :( I sent you a PM :)

Sponsored Links