Going to "make" my own Kydex Pocket Holster

This is a discussion on Going to "make" my own Kydex Pocket Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pocket carry my XDS 45 in a Sticky holster. It works well, but there are a couple of cons that make me think it ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By SpringerXD
  • 3 Post By bustoff
  • 1 Post By drmordo
  • 1 Post By SpringerXD
  • 1 Post By starlights
  • 3 Post By Bad Bob

Thread: Going to "make" my own Kydex Pocket Holster

I pocket carry my XDS 45 in a Sticky holster. It works well, but there are a couple of cons that make me think it could be improved upon. One is poor retention, not that it matters much in a pocket, and the other is the fact that it's closed-end and collects a lot of pocket lint. It's also thicker and less concealable than Kydex and a bit puffy, since it's nylon. I've decided to try some ideas.

The reason I said "make" above in quotes is because I've ordered a QuickShell from knifekits.com:

https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/quick...b-p-12460.html

In addition, I also ordered kydex sheets from Amazon (in .080 thickness to match the shell).

Frankly, I don't care to spend $40.00+ on an existing kydex pocket holster when they still don't quite have what I'm after. I'm also not inclined to get into molding my own holster body when I can get a really nice shell for $20.00.

This way, I can implement some ideas. I like the idea of a Kydex pocket holster, so we'll see if I can pull this off.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I made this, and I still have plenty of materials left over. Seems like you always need a new holster. I encourage your efforts. I'm thinking of making something for my new Taurus pt92.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going to "make" my own Kydex Pocket Holster-wp_20160521_010.jpg  

SpringerXD, M1911A1 and Bad Bob like this.
    Peace

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I may end up resorting to that as well. The only thing has stopped me is finding a local leather holster maker who does pretty good and inexpensive work.
    SpringerXD likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Well, so much for that. I've decided to mold my own instead. I just ordered some Chicago screws from Amazon and I'll get a cheapie toaster oven from Walmart. I already have a couple of Kydex sheets.

Why the change in plans? Look at the picture of the shell above and take note of how it would be folded/wrapped around the gun. The strip down the middle, where you fold it and where the sight channel would be, is molded in the WRONG direction. It curves DOWN toward the gun instead of curving up to make a sight channel. This made my day into a complete hair puller trying to heat it and get it right. I finally made it wrap the gun properly, but it still doesn't lend itself to what I'm trying.

And yes, I know the above is a shell for an IWB holster, not a pocket holster. I had hoped to modify it for what I'm after, but I think a fresh start will be required.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

- have fun with it
    - be sure to post up pix of your final product!

SpringerXD likes this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I have 'refined' the couple of kydex holsters I have using a hairdryer.
    Add a bit of retention, angle the belt clip a tad.
    But I do enjoy making my own leather holsters
    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A couple I have made, leather and Kydex.

Going to "make" my own Kydex Pocket Holster-640.jpgGoing to "make" my own Kydex Pocket Holster-20190630_143830.jpgGoing to "make" my own Kydex Pocket Holster-model-13-kydex.jpg
    SAXDM9, bustoff and SpringerXD like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Sponsored Links