Opinions from fellow small skinny guys needed. - Page 2

Opinions from fellow small skinny guys needed.

This is a discussion on Opinions from fellow small skinny guys needed. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mmb617 I'm 5'5" and 135 lbs. Those body dimensions make CC a bit of a challenge, so I'd like to hear from ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Opinions from fellow small skinny guys needed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I'm 5'5" and 135 lbs. Those body dimensions make CC a bit of a challenge, so I'd like to hear from some others of similar body types as to what works best for you.

.... And of course my small frame means everything wants to show through my clothes more than it would on a bigger guy.
    I don't believe there is a holster, either IWB or OWB that will prevent all printing all the time, no matter what your body position happens to be at any given moment. Most of us have had to modify our clothing somewhat so that we don't print most of the time.

I'm not a skinny man, but am a fairly thin woman: Medium/small boned, 5'3" and 113 pounds. The same issues of comfort, position of holster, type of holster and clothing apply to women. I never wore skin tight clothing or clingy jersey knits, but still had to modify my tops somewhat. I use Vedder Light Tuck all Kydex holsters for the most effective IWB, thinnest profile carry FOR ME. There is no place on my waistband that I can carry even my smallest gun OWB that it does not stick out and make a BIG BULGE. I have OWB leather holsters for range use.

When I weighed a lot more (40+ pounds more) I could carry a larger gun, IWB, just in front of my hip bone, because I had quite a bit more fat for the gun to "squish into" and hide. Sounds gross? Well, it's true.
    Rock and Glock and Redbert31 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I'm 5'5" and 135 lbs. Those body dimensions make CC a bit of a challenge, so I'd like to hear from some others of similar body types as to what works best for you.

There are two main problems I've identified. Since I have basically no padding over my bones anything carried tends to dig into me, especially when bending in any direction. And of course my small frame means everything wants to show through my clothes more than it would on a bigger guy.

I can't afford to buy a ****load of different holsters to see what works best, so I thought some input from others might help.

I bought a high noon mr. softy AIWB holster for my M&P Shield9 and I'm experimenting with what position feels best. 3 o'clock is out as it digs into my hip bone and is extremely obvious. I tried the 11 o'clock as well as the 1 o'clock position and they both aren't too bad, but could be better. I'm trying what I guess would be about a 12:30 position now, right up against the fly in my jeans, and it seems the most comfortable so far.

I just picked up the gun yesterday and am wearing it around the house to attempt an evaluation of best position, so I don't have much data yet.

Opinions?
    Let me lose another twenty pounds, and I'll get back with you.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post

Plastic holsters are not all day comfy for me.

Anyway, I can save you time and money. I find that holsters with some kind of backing is the only way to go for my old bones.

The example shown is a Nelson Stealth and my 229. Another maker that I like is Black Arch.

The backing on the Nelson makes such a difference carrying a heavier gun all day. I intend to get one for my Shield also.

There is some wait time involved, but it is sure worth it. Quality is off the chart.

Life is too short to walk around wearing less comfortable holsters.
    Although I have no experience with them a plastic holster just doesn't seem like it would be the most comfortable to me either. I'm guessing that retention of the weapon would be one of their strong points but with the appendix carry the bulk of the gun is below the belt line and coupled with a snug fit in the holster it's hard for me to visualize any problems with that as far as retention goes.

The backing on those holsters you mentioned would probably be a plus in the summer if the holster were to be right against the skin under a T shirt, but right now my normal dress is a tucked in T with a sweat shirt worn over it. Yeah, I'm one of those old farts who always wears my T's tucked in, but I'll have to modify that next summer and get used to letting them hang out. I've heard that some guys like to wear a strap T (wife beater) tucked in and then a regular T untucked over that to keep the holster from being against the skin. I've got at least 6 months to decide if I want to try that option.

I'll stick with this Mr Softy I have for now as I seem to have spent all my mad money on guns and ammo. If you can imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    You might try a crossdraw option,
    I found that carrying at @11:00 with the grip towards center is easier and pretty concealable.
    The holster needs to be minimal and I prefer an offset clip.

Good luck as you continue to find what works for you.
    I thought that might be a good option too, but after trying it for some reason it just doesn't feel as good to me as the 12:30 position does.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I don't believe there is a holster, either IWB or OWB that will prevent all printing all the time, no matter what your body position happens to be at any given moment. Most of us have had to modify our clothing somewhat so that we don't print most of the time.

I'm not a skinny man, but am a fairly thin woman: Medium/small boned, 5'3" and 113 pounds. The same issues of comfort, position of holster, type of holster and clothing apply to women. I never wore skin tight clothing or clingy jersey knits, but still had to modify my tops somewhat. I use Vedder Light Tuck all Kydex holsters for the most effective IWB, thinnest profile carry FOR ME. There is no place on my waistband that I can carry even my smallest gun OWB that it does not stick out and make a BIG BULGE. I have OWB leather holsters for range use.

When I weighed a lot more (40+ pounds more) I could carry a larger gun, IWB, just in front of my hip bone, because I had quite a bit more fat for the gun to "squish into" and hide. Sounds gross? Well, it's true.
    I get what you say about clothing modification. As I mentioned above I have always worn my T's tucked in, but when warm weather rolls back around and I don't have a sweatshirt over it I'll have to get used the the untucked style.

And I didn't intentionally exclude women when I titled this thread, I just figured that a lot of them carry in their purse and I don't intend to start carrying one of those. They also tend to wear clothes that are a lot different from my not the least bit stylish attire. I also agree that those with a little more padding can conceal a weapon easier.

I have to say that I've learned a lot on this forum already. Well worth the price of admission.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    @mmb617 There are some women who carry their guns in purses. I do everything in my power to discourage that practice. I know a few women who carry a gun in their purse and NOT ONE of them has practiced drawing enough so that she could possibly get the gun in position quickly enough to do any good.

Yes, I know there are some very few women who purse carry and are quite proficient, but I stand by my statement that it is the worst way to carry a gun. Well, other than the people of both sexes who leave a gun in the car thinking they can get to it if they need it.

And, not being mean, but please do not use the term (wife b.....ter). I'm not being a snowflake. I have known too many women who have been married to those worthless, evil thugs and they do not deserve a "singlet" (the Brit name for the sleeveless tee) named after them.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Moderator
    Well worth the price of admission.
    We need to talk.

You apparently missed the invoice from the Staff for 25 Bitcoin in our party account.

Late fees are steep, so you might want to read the rules quickly.

Glad you got some help!
    Sister likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Skinny means AIWB should be easy. I'm a fan of AIWB, just be careful not to shoot yourself.

I have gravitated to OWB at 4 o'clock most of the time. It's comfortable and conceals well unless you are wearing a tight shirt. These days my main carry gun is a FN Hi Power at 4 o'clock, and conceals just fine under a untucked button up shirt.
    Rock and Glock and Struckat like this.

5í10Ē 158# 31Ē waist. AIWB Kydex thx to Appalachian Concealment (thx Matt03!). Usually at 12:30, sometimes at 4:30. Conceals completely either way under untucked single layer t-shirt.

AIWB more comfortable anytime and more accessible than OWB when seatbelted in truck seat. But when on a longer drive then I move holster and gun to small gap between seat and console.

AIWB faster to draw from interview position. I never reholster into AIWB, but instead pull holster out, reholster and replace the holster. Itís easy enough.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

I Pocket Carry a tcp738 with Uncle George holster. It's like 50 bucks but so worth it. I'm same size you are.

https://www.unclegeorgeswalletholste...aurus-tcp-380/

I can't recommend it enough

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    You might try a crossdraw option,
    I found that carrying at @11:00 with the grip towards center is easier and pretty concealable.
    The holster needs to be minimal and I prefer an offset clip.

Good luck as you continue to find what works for you.
    Iím short, kinda round in places and cross carry at 10-10:30 IWB and nobody seems to notice or else their just smitten by my elderly beauty and just canít see past that.

Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

EPSTEIN DIDNíT KILL HIMSELF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links