Opinions from fellow small skinny guys needed.

This is a discussion on Opinions from fellow small skinny guys needed. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm 5'5" and 135 lbs. Those body dimensions make CC a bit of a challenge, so I'd like to hear from some others of similar ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Opinions from fellow small skinny guys needed.

I'm 5'5" and 135 lbs. Those body dimensions make CC a bit of a challenge, so I'd like to hear from some others of similar body types as to what works best for you.

There are two main problems I've identified. Since I have basically no padding over my bones anything carried tends to dig into me, especially when bending in any direction. And of course my small frame means everything wants to show through my clothes more than it would on a bigger guy.

I can't afford to buy a ****load of different holsters to see what works best, so I thought some input from others might help.

I bought a high noon mr. softy AIWB holster for my M&P Shield9 and I'm experimenting with what position feels best. 3 o'clock is out as it digs into my hip bone and is extremely obvious. I tried the 11 o'clock as well as the 1 o'clock position and they both aren't too bad, but could be better. I'm trying what I guess would be about a 12:30 position now, right up against the fly in my jeans, and it seems the most comfortable so far.

I just picked up the gun yesterday and am wearing it around the house to attempt an evaluation of best position, so I don't have much data yet.

Opinions?
    ETXhiker likes this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    A good quality OWB holster may be a better answer for you than an IWB.
    Check out Nelson or Tucker holsters.
    With the right cover clothing may work better for you.
    Rockymonster and 5lima30ret like this.

I'm 5'9" and 152 pounds. Not too far out from you, but relatively thin. I carry a Sig P229 (a much larger and heavier pistol) in a Kydex AIWB holster. I find it to be way more comfortable than I ever thought possible.

I have the pistol at about the 1230-1:00 position depending on the pants I wear. The only time I experience any discomfort is bending over forwards. Since about the only time I experience that is when I am donning or removing shoes it's not an issue.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    ...I find it to be way more comfortable than I ever thought possible....
    Agreed. I'm slightly taller and 40lbs heavier, but appendix carry is, in just about every way, the best way I've found to carry as well.
    G26Raven likes this.

VIP Member
    AIWB is what a lot of folks have gone to as Raven described... I haven’t been able to get there yet mentally however. I’ve been using OWB a lot lately and that’s been better comfort wise but not perfect in terms of concealability.
    G26Raven and KILTED COWBOY like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

I identify as thin, but it doesn't seem to help.

When I was 5'7" I weighed 140 lbs. And I remember trying to wear a gun at 3 o clock was like having a tumor sticking out of my hip. The secret to hip carry is finding that hollow spot behind the hip and raising the gun to just a few inches below the ribs. Then adjust the cant to put the barrel between your front and rear pockets.When you find that right spot the gun won't block access to either front or rear pockets. And your butt will push out on the barrel and force the grip into that hollow spot just above the waist. Good Luck DR
    Rock and Glock and Sister like this.

Distinguished Member
    I am 5'10" weighing in at 160 pounds. I have a 33" waist with a holster contact area of my midsection that has no padding. I found that OWB is best for my subcompact PPS M2, but There are many times when I cannot go with OWB. I recently bought a GypsyEDC "Bones" holster because is sounded like a fix for EDC for me. I have had the holster for over month now, and I have gone back to IWB carry since it is so comfortable and concealable. You can see a smalll photo gallery of the holster as worn by me at:https://postimg.cc/gallery/2vllz4rym/

GypsyEDc.com lists the holster model as Bones. If you go there you can read my review of the holster under the name Richard.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I'm 5'9" and 152 pounds. Not too far out from you, but relatively thin. I carry a Sig P229 (a much larger and heavier pistol) in a Kydex AIWB holster. I find it to be way more comfortable than I ever thought possible.

I have the pistol at about the 1230-1:00 position depending on the pants I wear. The only time I experience any discomfort is bending over forwards. Since about the only time I experience that is when I am donning or removing shoes it's not an issue.
    Do you think that a kydex holster is more comfortable than a leather one of similar configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by johndp1911 View Post
    Agreed. I'm slightly taller and 40lbs heavier, but appendix carry is, in just about every way, the best way I've found to carry as well.
    I haven't tried any others but it sure seems to me like appendix carry would be the best option for my body type. I think I'm too skinny to conceal any type of OWB holster, but haven't tried any so I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I am 5'10" weighing in at 160 pounds. I have a 33" waist with a holster contact area of my midsection that has no padding. I found that OWB is best for my subcompact PPS M2, but There are many times when I cannot go with OWB. I recently bought a GypsyEDC "Bones" holster because is sounded like a fix for EDC for me. I have had the holster for over month now, and I have gone back to IWB carry since it is so comfortable and concealable. You can see a smalll photo gallery of the holster as worn by me at:https://postimg.cc/gallery/2vllz4rym/

GypsyEDc.com lists the holster model as Bones. If you go there you can read my review of the holster under the name Richard.
    I have a 31" waist and can't say there is no padding around my midsection, but it is minimal. Back when I was a young stud I had a 27" waist at the same bodyweight. I had a six pack then, not so much now.

I'll have to check out the holster you referred to.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I'm 6'1" and about 215.
    I haven't seen a 33 inch waistline since high school.
    Wish I had your problems
    G26Raven, Rockymonster and Sister like this.

mmb617, I can't speak to comfort with a leather holster worn AIWB, but I am sure there are others here who can. I've only worn AIWB for the past year, but before that I primarily wore OWB with an untucked shirt.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

After wearing the Mr Softy AIWB at the 12:30 position all day yesterday it's already starting to feel pretty natural so I think that's going to work for me, at least right now. In the future I'm sure I'll be buying more guns and more holsters because I know that's just the way it goes.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

5’7” 139# as of Monday, new all time high.

Plastic holsters are not all day comfy for me. IWB was my preference, but of late I think somthin has gone wrong with my pants. I do AIWB a mouse gun from time to time, but don’t really care for it.

Anyway, I can save you time and money. I find that holsters with some kind of backing is the only way to go for my old bones.

The example shown is a Nelson Stealth and my 229. Another maker that I like is Black Arch.

The backing on the Nelson makes such a difference carrying a heavier gun all day. I intend to get one for my Shield also.

There is some wait time involved, but it is sure worth it. Quality is off the chart.

Life is too short to walk around wearing less comfortable holsters.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

You might try a crossdraw option,
    I found that carrying at @11:00 with the grip towards center is easier and pretty concealable.
    The holster needs to be minimal and I prefer an offset clip.

Good luck as you continue to find what works for you.
    Sister likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

VIP Member
    +1 on Black Arch holsters....
    Struckat likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links