Did something I've never done before; ordered a mag holster!

This is a discussion on Did something I've never done before; ordered a mag holster! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know why but I never bothered with mag holsters or even extra mags. I always felt the capacity on hand would be enough. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Did something I've never done before; ordered a mag holster!

I don't know why but I never bothered with mag holsters or even extra mags. I always felt the capacity on hand would be enough.

Now I've seen enough general malfunctions on the range to make me want a spare mag just in case something were to happen.

I've carried a spare mag in a pocket of some sort for over a month now. Watch pocket for jeans and a cargo pocket in shorts.

Well I figure if I'm going to carry one that I need consistency. I finally ordered a Vedder mag holster for my opposite side so that my spare mag is always in the same location.

Anyone else's opinions on CC change over time in the same way?

I've never owned a mag holster, either, although I often carry a spare mag in a pocket. I've considered getting a pocket mag carrier because I probably wouldn't want to carry one on my belt. At the very least it would keep pocket lint out.

Now that I'm taking an interest in pressing Kydex, I might try to make myself a few.
    Rooster likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I got a leather one from Tucker Gun Leather.
    Holds 2 mags on my opposite side. I like them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    I have an elastic one that I like because it adds minimal bulk. It can be worn iwb, owb, or even between belt and wb
    SpringerXD likes this.

I use a knife sheath with a flap that goes over the top and velcros. To the average person, it looks like I have a small knife. I don't want people to see a magazine. Cost like $7 on Amazon.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

Weakside carry-always spare mag.
    Attachment 304298
    M1911A1 likes this.
    THE CROW

VIP Member
    If you shoot any type of competition, you are hard pressed to find a place for your magazines if you don't have on belt mag holders! Other than that, I don't have additional everyday carry type magazine holsters.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Yes I carry second mag EDC. Shooting IDPA awakened me to need for 2nd mag, not for more rounds but for another mag. If tap rack doesnt clear a malfunction then Im dropping mag, inserting new mag, and racking. Tough to do with no spare.

This was reinforced well in two-day Glock training last week. Great course for me, some of it was reinforcing things I knew or do, some was improving techniques. Clearing malfunctions was an hour, I think.
    OD* likes this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I own 3...only because they came with holsters...never used one of them.

Not saying they are not worthwhile, I have just never used them.

They have never been part of my EDC...and at this point, I don't see that changing.
    The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver. Skeeter Skelton

I use a knife sheath to carry a spare mag in my back pocket. Not a speed "tactical" reload, but more of a "strategic" after the event reload in case things aren't fully over yet.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

I've carried a spare magazine since day one. I think it was something I picked up in the Military. When I joined the issue was an M1911 and two magazines by the time I got out it was a Beretta M9 and two magazines but it was always and two magazines.

My employer issues two magazines, CSPD issues two magazines.

Seems like the thing to do

I wear a double mag pouch for IDPA matches, two is the number of mags allowed for handguns with mags holding 10 rounds (Im simplifying the rule somewhat). Im ordering a Kydex single mag pouch now so I can not wear the bulkier thing, and keep it with my gun bag for matches.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

I've always carried at least one spare magazine>
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

I have a couple of mag holders that are specific to a gun, 1911, and Glock. They work great, hooking to the belt running parallel to the belt. I use them once in awhile but most the time instead of the extra mag I carry the extra gun.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Just to clarify...I don't carry my spare in any type of mag carrier...so, that is the reason I have never used any of the 3 that I have. I prefer to stand it up in my off-hand front pocket.
    The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver. Skeeter Skelton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links