Holster squeaks

Holster squeaks

This is a discussion on Holster squeaks within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a azula owb holster for my m&p 2.0 compact and it squeaks when i wear it what do i need to use on ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Holster squeaks

Holster squeaks

I have a azula owb holster for my m&p 2.0 compact and it squeaks when i wear it what do i need to use on it to stop the squeaking? Thanks for everyones time.

Senior Moderator
    A little baby powder sprinkled and rubbed in should solve the problem.
    G26Raven, WC145, G-man* and 2 others like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

My cats take care of all “squeaks” around here.

Beware of any conditioner or oils, they can cause the holster to loose it’s retention.
    M1911A1 and msgt/ret like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I found going near deaf to be the easiest solution.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

A little bow string wax on the squeaky parts has always helped my new eather holsters to help get past the noisy period of break in.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Saddle soap, Not too much ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

In leather holsters, as in shoes or belts, squeaks come from dry leather rubbing against dry leather.

While lubricating the leather with saddlesoap or neatsfoot oil, or one or another form of wax, might cure the squeak, you have to be very careful about where you put it.
    If you put a leather lubricant onto (or into) the holster's pouch (where the gun is kept), you will, as sammeow wrote, make the holster pouch too soft to properly support and retain the pistol.

So, the first part of the job is to find out exactly where the squeak is coming from.

If it happens only while holstering or presenting the pistol, and the squeak comes from the holster pouch itself, I suggest that you leave it alone, and don't try to fix it. Trying to fix it will end up ruining your holster.
    If the squeak comes from the holster rubbing against your belt, and your belt is properly stiff, RETSUP99's baby powder is a pretty good cure. Put it on the belt, only where the squeak is coming from, but not on the holster.
    You could use furniture (or other) wax on the belt, instead of baby powder. But realize that the wax will soften the stiff belt, to some extent, which is probably not a good thing.

Here's the, um, rub: Squeaks sometimes come from two layers of leather (for instance, in a lined holster or double-layer belt) where the two layers have not been properly cemented together before being stitched.
    You can't fix this, practically speaking. It is possible to use a hypodermic syringe to inject graphite powder, or, indeed baby powder, into the not-cemented space, but this is a thankless job best done by an expert (not me). Better is to pick out the stitches, pull the layers apart, and re-cement the whole job properly. That's an expert's job, too. And it's nearest impossible to do when it's a fully dry, wet-formed holster pouch.

So the very first thing to do, as I've previously written, is to localize the squeak. Where is it? What's causing it?

I hope that helps.
    Nmuskier likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Sometimes you just have to wear the holster a lot and let it break in to get rid of the squeaks.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    I use plain cheap white candle wax. My wife has a few of those 2 inch non scented candles on a shelf. I grab one of those and rub it all over where my belt will contact the holster. Takes care of the squeak and it's free. If you don't have any candles they are really cheap at the store and have all kinds of uses.
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    At my age the noise is coming from my hips.
    Saddle soap or wax should solve the holster squeak
    sammeow and 5lima30ret like this.

Waiting for obligatory mouse gun jokes....
    Tennessee Jed likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Most of the squeaks come from the holster and belt contact. Gun belts are great for carry, but they make the squeak worse. I use wax where the belt contacts the holster. The front outside edge to the belt slot. Back of the belt slot. And where the belt rides along the back of the holster sometimes. Since I also make holsters, I use a beeswax mix I keep around.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Squeaking leather holsters usually result from one of the following:

1. friction where the holster is mounted to the belt (belt loops, tunnel loop, etc)
    2. friction of the handgun moving within the holster during use
    3. friction between two layers of leather at a seam area of the holster.

Removing the squeaking noise requires removing or reducing the friction. An application of neutral shoe polish on the belt surfaces where the holster mounts as well as the belt loop areas will help with this. Placing the pistol inside a thin plastic bag, then wiping the outer surfaces of the bag with neutral shoe polish, then shoving the bagged holster into the holster repeatedly will cause transfer of the wax in the neutral polish to the inside of the holster where the leather fibers will retain it as a lubricant, reducing friction in use.

Note that I specifically recommend neutral shoe polish, which is nothing more than a wax of paste consistency, no oils or grease that will adversely affect the formed leather of the holster.

If the squeaking is between two layers of leather at a seam area it is nearly impossible to correct. Most quality holster makers cement the holster layers firmly together prior to stitching the seams specifically to prevent such squeaking noise.

The other alternative is simply wearing the holster and belt during normal activities for several weeks or a few months until the squeaking eventually disappears, or is reduced to a level that is not annoying.

43 years operating a holster business (over 25,000 products delivered to all 50 US states and 33 other countries), I learned a little bit about these issues.

Maybe a little Galco "Draw EZ", if you can isolate the source of the squeak.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I know a guy so tight with his money he squeaks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links