Installing tritium sights on a Glock without a sight pusher?

This is a discussion on Installing tritium sights on a Glock without a sight pusher? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wanting to replace the factory sights on a G43 that I carry a lot for a while, but I'm cheap. I know ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Installing tritium sights on a Glock without a sight pusher?

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar

I have been wanting to replace the factory sights on a G43 that I carry a lot for a while, but I'm cheap. I know that the best way to do it is with a sight pusher, but that will basically double the cost of the install. I have seen several videos on youtube where people install a tritium rear sight by drifting it on with a punch. I am tempted to try this, but don't want to wind up destroying the rear sight. Has anyone on DC changed their Glock night sites by tapping them in place?
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Sponsor
    I've broken 2 night sites by trying to tap them in before I got a sight pusher. I wouldn't try it again myself without a sight pusher. Even tho I told true glo I broke the sights by taping it in the replaced it for me no problem.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

JD
    Administrator
    If the rear has a set screw you can file the sight and make it go way easier.

If you get really hard up you can send me your slide and sights and I'll do it for you. Just have an extra shipping/postage label in the box.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    I have been wanting to replace the factory sights on a G43 that I carry a lot for a while, but I'm cheap. I know that the best way to do it is with a sight pusher, but that will basically double the cost of the install. I have seen several videos on youtube where people install a tritium rear sight by drifting it on with a punch. I am tempted to try this, but don't want to wind up destroying the rear sight. Has anyone on DC changed their Glock night sites by tapping them in place?
    Hey ETX are these factory sights your replacing plastic or steel??
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

One of the best investments I have ever made.

I have not done it myself, but if I was going to replace the rear sight and didn't want to buy a sight pusher, I'd probably make a 'jig' out of wood and use a C-clamp or my vise. This guy used a vise, but required two people. I think I'd card out a pocket in a block of wood for the sight to fit in and use the vise to push the block of wood (and the sight)

ETXhiker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    @JD Thanks for the offer. From the responses so far, I'm thinking I will probably just buy a sight pusher and be done with it.

@Rabbit212 It's just the plastic factory sights I will be replacing.

@Psycho41 Thanks for the video link. I have a vice, so I might try that method.

At any rate, the idea of banging on a sight with tritium vials is seeming like a bad idea now.
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Iíve done it many times with just a rubber ( hard plastic) mallet and a piece of wood.

Now, Iíve never damaged a sight, but I will admit that is not the correct way to do it.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    I put Tirjicons on my 19 without a sight pusher and it was simple. Unlike S&W, Glock sights are usually not installed into the rear channel with red locktite or some similar, nearly unmovable, adhesive.

In my case; I removed the slide, barrel, etc., and put the slide in a vise within a piece of good leather to protect it. Then I used a nylon punch and a small hammer and simply tapped the rear sight out of the channel. As I recall, punch it to the right, in the event the channel is cut slightly wider to the right. It didn't require any muscle at all...just easy taps.

It only took a couple of good taps and the slide moved easily our of the channel. Install of new sights was similar, just reversed. PS: Spend the $8 bucks and get a Glock front sight removal tool on Amazon. Makes it a breeze on the front end.

In the case with my S&W Shield: Two sight pusher tools were ruined trying to dislodge the factory adhesive on the rear sight...one by me and one by my local gun smith. My gun smith called me to let me know he'd ruined his tool and couldn't get it to budge. Since I'd given up trying myself and took it to a 'pro', I told him to "Get Medieval with it".

He called me back 10 min later, laughing, and said he'd done just that...locked it down in his vise and hit the **** out of it with a nylon punch and hammer and it finally came loose. He must have hit it much harder than I did. :)
    ETXhiker, Pete63 and CrabbyOldGuy like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    I put Tirjicons on my 19 without a sight pusher and it was simple. Unlike S&W, Glock sights are usually not installed into the rear channel with red locktite or some similar, nearly unmovable, adhesive.

In my case; I removed the slide, barrel, etc., and put the slide in a vise within a piece of good leather to protect it. Then I used a nylon punch and a small hammer and simply tapped the rear sight out of the channel. As I recall, punch it to the right, in the event the channel is cut slightly wider to the right. It didn't require any muscle at all...just easy taps.

It only took a couple of good taps and the slide moved easily our of the channel. Install of new sights was similar, just reversed. PS: Spend the $8 bucks and get a Glock front sight removal tool on Amazon. Makes it a breeze on the front end.

In the case with my S&W Shield: Two sight pusher tools were ruined trying to dislodge the factory adhesive on the rear sight...one by me and one by my local gun smith. My gun smith called me to let me know he'd ruined his tool and couldn't get it to budge. Since I'd given up trying myself and took it to a 'pro',I told him to "Get Medieval with it".

He called me back 10 min later, laughing, and said he'd done just that...locked it down in his vise and hit the **** out of it with a nylon punch and hammer and it finally came loose. He must have hit it much harder than I did. :)
    Caution: "off color language"

ETXhiker likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I've replaced both plastic and steel with a hammer and nylon punch....not broke any yet.
    The Wheeler pusher gets great reviews for it's quality and use on various guns !!
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Glock 43
    CZ P10 S

I have the Right to remain silent....just NOT the ability !!!
    Carry Safe & Train hard !!

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    @JD Thanks for the offer. From the responses so far, I'm thinking I will probably just buy a sight pusher and be done with it.

@Rabbit212 It's just the plastic factory sights I will be replacing.

@Psycho41 Thanks for the video link. I have a vice, so I might try that method.

At any rate, the idea of banging on a sight with tritium vials is seeming like a bad idea now.
    Ah ok. I have factory night sights (mepro I believe) on my 43x and been wanting to replace them with steel glock sights as a 3 dot set up is no good for me. Was hoping yours was steel so I could offer to trade you.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BCC73 View Post
    I've replaced both plastic and steel with a hammer and nylon punch....not broke any yet.
    The Wheeler pusher gets great reviews for it's quality and use on various guns !!
    The issue with night sights is that the impact can bust the tritium vials.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Back in 2015 I decided I wanted night sights in a couple of my XD's. I read all over the place about how ridiculously tight XD sights are and that gunsmiths were adding an additional surcharge on XD models.

So I spent about $70.00 or so on a sight pusher. Those sight installs were honestly some of the easiest gunsmithing I've ever done and I've replaced several since.
    M1911A1 and ETXhiker like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I've drifted sights before, and even with a brass punch, I've left marks. Nylon punches have never worked worth a damn for me. When I decided to put night sights on my Glocks, I finally broke down and bought a Maryland Gun Works Glock sight pusher. Even with 3 Glocks I wondered whether it was cost effective, but I didn't want to trust some low paid gun store drone to install my sights, so I did it. Turns out to have been a great investment. I've not only easily installed Ameriglo sights on all 3 guns, but was able to take the tool to the range with me to fine tune the alignments. I'm glad I bought it.
    ETXhiker and M1911A1 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links