Issues with Vedder pocket holster

This is a discussion on Issues with Vedder pocket holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that I have had my P365 and Vedder pocket holster for awhile, I am seeing an issue with the holster that I failed to ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Issues with Vedder pocket holster

Now that I have had my P365 and Vedder pocket holster for awhile, I am seeing an issue with the holster that I failed to identify sooner. Specifically, the placement of the thumb tab/thumb release is simply way too high on the holster for me, but maybe not everyone. I wear a size large in gloves, so my hand is not exactly small

With the release where it is, I find it extremely awkward to get a good full grip on the pistol as high up on the backstrap as possible. This forces me to readjust my grip as I draw the pistol from my pocket, or before I draw the pistol. This slows the draw down a bit.

It's apparent that the thumb tab could be lowered at least a full inch below where it is right now without compromising the coverage of the trigger and trigger guard.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? I plan to contact Vedder about this issue, but was curious as to whether anyone else noticed this. I'd like to hear from anyone else who has noticed the same issue.

Issues with Vedder pocket holster-forced-thumb-position.jpg

With the holster as it is designed, my thumb is at a very awkward angle to release the pistol from the holster.

Issues with Vedder pocket holster-normal-thumb-position.jpg

Note the more natural position of my thumb in this second photo. If the trigger tab was moved down an inch or so, this would allow for a better grip and a faster release.
    So many weapons, so little time.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

We are ALL Virginians!

It seems fine for me, my hands are small and so are my pockets.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    It seems fine for me, my hands are small and so are my pockets.
    Which pistol are you using, and does your holster have the release in the same position?

We are ALL Virginians!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

LCPII and the holsters look the same. Itís a lot smaller than my 365. Even with big pocket pants the 365 is to big for a consistent draw so I never bought a pocket holster for it.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    LCPII and the holsters look the same. Itís a lot smaller than my 365. Even with big pocket pants the 365 is to big for a consistent draw so I never bought a pocket holster for it.
    Thanks.

We are ALL Virginians!

I am telling ya the Aholster eliminates all of that with no thumb push needed. I never even thought about the holster when drawing my gun it just always gets hooked and comes off easily, no need to adjust the grip after clearing the pocket.

That said, mine was an LCP not the Sig P365 which I consider way too big for pocket carry. I should rephrase that. Its way to big for pocket drawing. I could fit my G43 in my pocket pretty comfortable but, drawing it easily? No way.

https://aholster.com/product/pocket-aholster/
    G26Raven and CreedDryrot like this.

Forester58, I've found that it really depends on the pants I am wearing whether the pistol can be drawn or not. There is more than sufficient room in (most pairs of) the 5.11 pants I wear. That's not the issue. It's the ergonomics of the holster. But, I appreciate your recommendation of the Aholster and will probably try one, depending on the response I get from Vedder. Thank you.
    forester58 likes this.

We are ALL Virginians!

And the next email Vedder would get would be complaining that the slide was not covered.

I had a guy contact me to complain that he wanted more holes punched lower on the leather than I had. Explained to him that he was asking me to make a large holster even larger. And that of the few complaints I get 90% of them are about how big those holsters are.

You shoot for the middle to make most people happy. You simply cannot make everyone happy.

FWIW, it's kydex. It's not that hard to tweak it. Trim it down, heat it, and flare that edge out to grab it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Chiefjason, I don't claim to be an expert on holsters, but I do have a master's degree in ergonomics/human factors and understand the principles of designing for human use pretty well. I am not saying this is a terrible holster, but it needs a tweak. I don't think my hand anatomy is unusual and if I can't get the proper grip high enough on the backstrap, I'm betting others can't either with this particular holster/pistol combination.

And, yes, I had already thought about seeing if I could modify the holster. I've never worked with Kydex before, so I'll have to do some research to see how it's done properly without ruining the holster. Thank you for the suggestion.

We are ALL Virginians!

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Dremel and a hair dryer for adjusting the kydex. Draw out a pencil line where you want to cut then draw out a second line half way above the first one because been there done that and you cant put it back after you trimmed it off but you can trim more off if you need to. Lowest heat setting needed to make the kydex soft and throw on a wet hand towel over the section your not heating up to keep it cool and not loose its shape. Its easy.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Distinguished Member
    I've not had a problem with how I grab, thumb release, and draw, but I'm using an LCPII in the holster.
    I hope you can solve your issue!
    G26Raven likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Dremel and a hair dryer for adjusting the kydex. Draw out a pencil line where you want to cut then draw out a second line half way above the first one because been there done that and you cant put it back after you trimmed it off but you can trim more off if you need to. Lowest heat setting needed to make the kydex soft and throw on a wet hand towel over the section your not heating up to keep it cool and not loose its shape. Its easy.
    I've tried a hair drier twice and couldn't get it hot enough. Maybe I'm not patient enough. A heat gun works great and quickly, just don't get it too close and go slowly. Heat for a couple seconds and check, repeat. You can see the kydex change when it gets hot enough to mold.
    G26Raven and Rabbit212 like this.

VIP Member
    Dremels are your friend. Just sayin'.
    G26Raven and Rabbit212 like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post

FWIW, it's kydex. It's not that hard to tweak it. Trim it down, heat it, and flare that edge out to grab it.

I've done this a few times with very good results. Ain't nothing like a good customized holster.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Chiefjason, I don't claim to be an expert on holsters, but I do have a master's degree in ergonomics/human factors and understand the principles of designing for human use pretty well. I am not saying this is a terrible holster, but it needs a tweak. I don't think my hand anatomy is unusual and if I can't get the proper grip high enough on the backstrap, I'm betting others can't either with this particular holster/pistol combination.

And, yes, I had already thought about seeing if I could modify the holster. I've never worked with Kydex before, so I'll have to do some research to see how it's done properly without ruining the holster. Thank you for the suggestion.
    You may be right, and I'm not going to argue that part.

What I will tell you is what people need and what people want is not always the same thing. And selling things is sometimes about giving people what they want, even if it's not what they need. And what they want is protection of the slide thinking it will help with wear and keep from printing. Which is marginal at best. And gun geometry plays into it here too. Some grip angles give me fits, and some are just right. Taken to an extreme, I'll refuse an order when a customer wants something I don't think is a good idea. But I can see this as being a case where the covered slide is a bigger selling point.

But looking at the pic, think of it this way. When you raise your thumb, you change the angle of the entire hand. I don't think you can both get that grip you want, while moving the thumb into that position. And you certainly can't cover the slide and lower the tab. Compromises. The grip angle and how far the slide protrudes towards the rear are also part of the issue. And I see the LCP mentioned twice. That slide has a very different profile and might allow the kydex to be cut lower where the slide angles toward the front. The P365 is more square.

All that to say, the gun is probably some of the issue too. Holsters are always and exercise in compromise. Safety, comfort, and function are the big ones. And sometimes you just can't get all 3 at 100% for a multitude of reasons.
    G26Raven and Wavygravy like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links