Cheapo Kydex holsters

Cheapo Kydex holsters

This is a discussion on Cheapo Kydex holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was not sure i would like a kydex holster.. My wife likes hers and will use nothing else.. I started looking for the cheapest ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Cheapo Kydex holsters

Cheapo Kydex holsters

I was not sure i would like a kydex holster.. My wife likes hers and will use nothing else.. I started looking for the cheapest of the cheap, only because it was a complete unknown if I could even tolerate the feel of Kydex.
    I found a Kydex holster for my P32 brand new with a nice wide well made belt clip for $20.. Shipped... It actually fits my Keltec P 32 very well indeed. Nice and secure, and you get that lovely little "click" when you pistol is seated in the holster properly, just like the one on my wife's $75 kydex... It was a nice unit for that low a price.
    I have another one coming for my P938,, That was a bit more at $25 shipped.. I tried to get something in kydex at my LDS, not worrying about price IF I could try it and make sure it would work for me. However they had nothing in stock, didn't seem overly excited about ordering something for me, and didn't even know what an Ulti clip was, ..

I actually hate the fact that I have to buy online, but more and more its almost as if I am forced to.. I buy very good quality .32 acp ammo online for $10 a box. At stores locally, its closer to $30 a box.. I want to help keep them stay open and all, but jeez.. Lots of the online stuff seems to be made in China, but half the stuff i buy locally is as well. Sad to say.

I guess the locals can't keep everything in stock, but not everyone wants fancy tooled leather holsters that cost almost as much as the gun that goes inside them.. I will continue to do business with the local shops, and do my best to support them. Matter of fact I bought 2 guns from them this week..
    However these days, I feel almost forced to run home and start clicking to get what I need at a price I can deal with.. I am not sure if its my problem or the local retailers.. bob
    Old Man likes this.

flh
    Are you going to keep us in suspense , what is this cheap holster you speak of ?
    Old Man and Well_Regulated like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    A detective I know carries his G21 in a plain jane Fobus paddle holster. He's had it for quite a while and it's held up well without any issues. They're not the highest end kydex holster but they do the job, and usually for under $30 bucks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Are you going to keep us in suspense , what is this cheap holster you speak of ?
    didn't say anything about sellers as I didn't want to have people think I was shilling for one site or another...
    Best way to do it is to go to Ebay, type in Kydex Holsters, and then go to Best Match and click Price and Shipping Lowest First... Thats what I did,- There are a bunch of sellers of Kydex holsters. amazon as well.
    Just saw one for Sig 365-$20 shipped.. They are probably all MIC.
    mine is not quite as nice as the one my wife got From The Well Armed Woman, but it was less than 1/3 the price and for what I paid, its very satisfactory.
    I have another coming from a different seller for my Sig P938, and it looks really good $25 shipped.. From the pics the pattern in the kydex material looked identical to what my wife has..
    Buying on ebay at cheap prices on stuff made in China is a two way street.. I am glad i am getting something I like and can use at a good price, but am sad about the fact I can't get the same item made here unless I want to pay 4 times the price, IF I can even find it at all... I wish it weren't that way..... bob
    oldIthink likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    A detective I know carries his G21 in a plain jane Fobus paddle holster. He's had it for quite a while and it's held up well without any issues. They're not the highest end kydex holster but they do the job, and usually for under $30 bucks.
    Thanks for that.. Checked them out and they are very reasonable indeed.. Not American made, but I would still prefer to buy from a manufacturer based in in a country thats a good friend and ally to the US, if I can't find or afford US made.. bob

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    There is a difference between cheap and cost effective. Knowing the difference is experience.
    Old Man, OD*, forester58 and 2 others like this.

Everyone like cheap, but I learned my lesson the hard way. My first kydex was a PJ Holster and it did not fit. Since then, I moved on to Vedder, JM Custom and Black Point. They better accommodate
    the custom features I want (e.g. Inforce lights, red dots, left handedness and guns other than Glock). I find the price difference between cheap and high end kydex is much less than among leather holster makers

Ex Member
    The true quality test is not how they look or feel out of the box. Instead it is how they hold up over years. The other test is the design of the holster. Does it allow for a full combat grip so you had is in the right position after the draw with no need to reposition it. Sometimes bargains ar just that. other times they are wasted money. only time in service tells.
    forester58 and M1911A1 like this.

As of this time, it fits the gun as well, and draws as well as my wife's much more expensive holster.. The good thing about any kydex holster is they are easy to adjust, tighter or looser with a bit of heat from a hair dryer and a little thumb pressure.. Already had to do my wife's $70+ holster a few times.

Cost effective ?. not sure, but it doesn't look like it will wear out in a year.. Looks like it will last a good long time, from what I can tell.. Supposedly, the Kydex material and the hardware on some of those cheap holsters are made here in the US and then shipped over to be cut,formed and assembled.. Not sure of that of course, just something i read.. bob

Distinguished Member
    I use two of the suppliers of Kydex holsters on eBay, JBowe for pocket holsters and Stay Holstered for IWB. Both are in the good old USA and Stay Holstered is Vet Owned. For my money they have served me as well as my more well known suppliers of kydex holsters. For me, Kydex serves a purpose, but they aren't well crafted leather either.

For me, kydex is appropriate for some of the situations I have found myself in such as "Wow, that is a great price on that pistol, I think I will pick one up and give it a whirl". I don't like having a handgun that I don't have a holster for and $20-$25 with free shipping seems a bargain if it is well made. Kydex also seems appropriate to me for ferritic nitrocarburized finished pistols (Tennifer or Melonite) such as found on Glocks. Kydex does seem to accelerate finish wear and my Glocks that have been used a lot have slide wear near the muzzle.

Clips are terrible because they will come loose if you ever get in a physical confrontation. The wider the clip the easier they come loose because they do not conform to the curve of your waistline. Speaking from experience not opinion. There are some "better" clips that are narrow and close together when over the belt. All others, including Vedder are junk.
    If you really want to make sure your gun will be where you put it when you need it use snap loops.
    If you have a clip holster where the clip is held on with screws you can get a snap loop kit from Concealment Express and convert it. They also sell a snap loop with a strut that bolts right on a Vedder to fix that holster as well.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    If it works for you, it is a good holster.
    I have to confess that I am a bit of a belt and holster snob.
    I prefer leather. I tried a friends Kydex and did not like the feel, but that is just me.
    A lot of folks here love them.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Clips are terrible because they will come loose if you ever get in a physical confrontation. The wider the clip the easier they come loose because they do not conform to the curve of your waistline. Speaking from experience not opinion. There are some "better" clips that are narrow and close together when over the belt. All others, including Vedder are junk.
    If you really want to make sure your gun will be where you put it when you need it use snap loops.
    If you have a clip holster where the clip is held on with screws you can get a snap loop kit from Concealment Express and convert it. They also sell a snap loop with a strut that bolts right on a Vedder to fix that holster as well.
    The clips on these are wide, held with 2 screws, and are stout and tight. They hold better than some on more expensive holsters.. that being said, they still are plastic and NOT a super firm positive lock such as you get with the Ulti Clip.. I plan on getting those ordered in short order.. As stated, went to the LGS I have bought a ton of stuff off of, and they didn't even know what it was. the did look it up one the Iphone, but tried to sell me what they had in stock instead of offering to order what I really wanted... I get that in a lot of businesses, but still, it annoyed me a bit.. So i bought some guns there, but I don't like what they do in accessories.. I need some lower end scopes for several different long guns, just for target shooting, and they said they would get me set up.. i honestly hope so.. If not its back to the net, after doing some research here... bob
    forester58 likes this.

Bought my kydex off ebay as a cheap tryout. I ended up loving this holster for my LC9s.

Not affiliated with them. Just giving my honest review.

I used jetacticalholsters on ebay. Paid $17.00 with free shipping on mine. Looks like they are still under $20.

A big selling point for me was that they are a small company based in the USA, owned by veterans that hire veterans

https://www.ebay.com/str/jetacticalholsters

Last edited by JeffreyR; December 7th, 2019 at 11:54 AM.
    ETXhiker and M1911A1 like this.

Nothing wrong with cheap. I mean inexpensive.

I picked up a Clinger Atom holster a few years back for $20. Wanted it for itís offset clip. Made in the USA even if it is Arkansas.
    Added a sweat shield and removed excess material and rounded all edges. After 6 years it serves as my LC9 AIWB crossdraw holster.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links