Anyone Else Carry While Kayaking? - Page 2

Anyone Else Carry While Kayaking?

This is a discussion on Anyone Else Carry While Kayaking? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I used to carry my guns in a canoe. That's how I lost everything I had!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Anyone Else Carry While Kayaking?

Well, I used to carry my guns in a canoe. That's how I lost everything I had!
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Nix
    I usually don't carry while kayaking; however, if I'm kayak-camping in bear country, I'll pack a S&W 629 in a chest rig.
    Goldy49 likes this.

I carry in a dry bag while kayaking in the Gulf of Mexico and local fresh water lakes. (alligators are numerous)
    jstert likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, What do you do with the gun when you get off the water? Even though it's a Glock there are metal parts that can corrode. DR
    5lima30ret and jstert like this.

Lead Moderator
    We used to kayak quite a bit as well as camp from kayaks. Being in the wild areas I typically would carry my USP with a drop leg holster and a lanyard strap for retention.
    Goldy49 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Literature teacher showed us Deliverance movie in jr high, I dont camp I certainly dont kayak/canoe.
    jstert likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Just out of curiosity, What do you do with the gun when you get off the water? Even though it's a Glock there are metal parts that can corrode. DR
    Iíve got a little black bag it rides in when not on the water. I also usually set up and strip down my kayak a short distance away from everyone else. The bag has a Nikon logo on it so no one has ever really bothered to see what Iím doing with it.

I do give it a good cleaning and re-oiling if it does get seriously wet, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dangerranger and jstert like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Here in NY state, many [not all] kayak launch/ access areas are at state parks, so legally you can carry on the water, BUT you can't carry on the land you have to cross to get to the water.
    See how they did that?
    Anyway, I don't kayak, but do go out fishing on a little aluminum 14 footer alone, sometimes come in close to dark, and yes these days I always have something besides a fishing rod for protection, regardless.
    About I dunno, 10-12 years ago my son and I launched a little boat in a deep creek that feeds one of the finger lakes.. It was not a ramp, just a little dirt area in a town park.. Upon our return there were a bunch of young thug looking guys lurking right there where we launched, partying, loud etc. Right where my truck was parked. I remembering tightening up wishing I had something decent to protect myself and my son.. This was before I had my CCW.

They just kind of scowled at us but left us alone as we recovered and trailered my little boat, but if they had lets say demanded money, or decided to annoy us , intimidate us or whatever, we would have been alone at their mercy without any help around.. Whenever I go on the water I think of that helpless feeling on that little boat that day.
    Yeah they were just a bunch of young hoodlum looking kids, getting high/drinking, and left us alone pretty much, but another time there might be one or two that need money for drugs, see an old man trailing his boat alone in the dark etc etc.. I hated that ugly feeling of not being able to defend myself should I need to. That feeling became stronger the older slower and weaker I became. It happens to most of us I suppose.

So yeah, although its a very long shot anyone will ever bother me here in the Finger Lakes while I am out enjoying some time on the water or woods, I simply feel the need to know I am providing for the safety of myself and whoever might be with me. One type of small pocket gun or another is always with me on the water since that day years ago. bob
    jstert likes this.

A couple of years ago I took up Kayak fishing around the Chesapeake. I've run into my fair share of Cottonmouths while fishing and thought it might be a good excuse for finally buying my first revolver with some snake shot.

On a related note: the fishing has been changing as climate change warms the water. This was a terrible season for Striped Bass but fish that are more common in the Carolinas and south have started showing up (.e.g., pinfish) Best of all, we are beginning to see some shrimp in the lower bay. You usually don't see shrimp north of North Carolina

Depends on where I am headed. But it's either a Taurus 605 in .357 or Walther P22. Either under a fishing shirt OWB or OC OWB.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I have lived and worked with handguns in a humid salt water marine environment. Glocks and M&P's hold up quite well with a little cleaning and lube. My guns don't have any rust despite being exposed to this environment. FWIW, I use a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 & Marvel Mystery Oil.
    Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I have lived and worked with handguns in a humid salt water marine environment. Glocks and M&P's hold up quite well with a little cleaning and lube. My guns don't have any rust despite being exposed to this environment. FWIW, I use a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 & Marvel Mystery Oil.
    Good luck!
    I knew my gut instinct was right on this one! All metal guy or not, this is one job my metallic fleet canít quite take on as well as Gastonís creation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    5lima30ret likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Anyone Else Carry While Kayaking?-newskins.jpg

My kayak.
    5lima30ret and jstert like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Good luck!
    Just a field strip and oiling? or a complete tear down each time you get them wet?
    Where I live its hot and dry 9 months of the year, So I have little experiance with humid weather, rain, or just getting wet. DR

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    I don't kayak but do paddle board, the wife & I. I carry a LCP in a dry bag in my cooler.
    We mainly Do salt water inlets. Don't worry about gators, very rare. more worried about 2 legged threats ; )
    H/D
    In saltwater inlets (like Matanzas Inlet or Ponce Inlet) bull sharks are a very real threat especially to surfers!
    hogdaddy and G-man* like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links