A good solid list of holsters to avoid.

This is a discussion on A good solid list of holsters to avoid. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "The Nine Worst Holsters" list I would round out with a number 10. Don't use any holster that has a clip or clips of any ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: A good solid list of holsters to avoid.

"The Nine Worst Holsters" list I would round out with a number 10.
    Don't use any holster that has a clip or clips of any kind.

We are being sold a lot of crap by people only out to make a buck who don't give two hoots what happens when you need your gun at the most critical time in your life. I know I pound on this point a lot but, its because I do care that folks here have their best shot at defending themselves in the real world. I know your "holster holds tight enough with the clip(s)". Your wrong it does not when SHTF happens. Great range holster is not necessarily a great carry holster.

https://www.redhawkfirearmtraining.c...-blog/holsters

I know a lot of us prefer leather, myself included, but, in reality most do a poor job passing the basic holster test unless they have IWB pressure on them. There are some but, they get really expensive fast and normally require additional retention devices like thumb breaks. Open top OWB, which I myself really like, does not usually pass muster either.

One example of an excellent holster,there are many out there but, this is one I own.

A good solid list of holsters to avoid.-phlster-4.jpg
    A good solid list of holsters to avoid.-phlster-2.jpg

What makes this an excellent holster?
    1. Retention of gun in holster. This gun takes a stout pull to break free of the holster. Not a 2 finger grab but, a full firing grip purposeful pull.
    2. Fully covered trigger guard. Gives me some piece of mind when wrestling around in a fight for my life with a AIWB carried gun.
    3. Retention on belt. The one way snap loop is the best thing after a permanent loop on a holster. I have had mock attackers jerk on this holster (or rather jerk on my hands holding the holster) when we were both going for the gun hard enough to lift me off the ground and it stayed on the belt.

Yep, most likely hard training with your carry gun in a Kydex holster is going to show wear marks. It should or your really not training at all and your really not carrying a defensive tool but, rather a show piece or a talisman.
    The finish on my 642 is almost completely gone and it is scratched all over. Grip has been ground down to accommodate smoother reloads. All OK by me. Its a working gun.

We all have guns we want to keep really nice. I get it as I have some myself but, they just don't get carried for self defense use. They are the guns I take to a family shooting day.

VIP Member
    He is flat WRONG about item #3:

" 3. The holster that doesnít retain the firearm even when off the belt.
    A good holster will retain the firearm even when the holster is taken off the belt, turned upside down, and shaken. John Correia from Active Self Protection has a brilliant video explaining this concept (along with the other first two points Iím making here). Hereís a hintÖ you canít do this with a hybrid holster."

For many hybrid holsters, this would be true. My old Crossbreed had zero retention. My Comp-Tac hybrids hold the gun like nobody's business.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    Appreciate your opinions. My Black Arch Hybrid has held to my belt just fine for 2+ years, heck there are times I find it tough to take off the belt to change it to another pair of pants! Have a Great Day!
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    One man's meat is another man's poison.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

I avoid all primary carry holsters that are not quality leather pancake style with a sweat shield and belt loops. It must carry a government model 1911 or other full size gun @ 3:00 on my belt all day from getting dressed until I go to bed.

A good solid list of holsters to avoid.-holsters.jpg
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Too many holster designers and builders are not training and carrying every day, all day.
    OD*, G-man*, forester58 and 8 others like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

A revolver with an exposed trigger/guard has never been a concern for me, and up until Striker fired guns wasnít even an afterthought.

But other than that, I agree with the OP.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    A revolver with an exposed trigger/guard has never been a concern for me, and up until Striker fired guns wasnít even an afterthought.

But other than that, I agree with the OP.
    Yep, I still have a Tom Threepersons but, that one has a thumb strap over the hammer.
    OD*, G-man*, matthew03 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Appreciate your opinions. My Black Arch Hybrid has held to my belt just fine for 2+ years, heck there are times I find it tough to take off the belt to change it to another pair of pants! Have a Great Day!
    You have never trained in hand to hand with it then. I have a few clip holsters that I really liked and seemed to hold really tight on a leather belt. That one lasted 10 minutes in a force on force class before it sailed across the room with gun still in it. Even if your clips hold that hybrid shell thingy will not.

A good iwb with pull tab snap loops or an owb on the belt is the best way to security.

Some paddle holsters like the Safariland are pretty decent.

About all of this other stuff is feces.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

SERPA/ Uncle Mike's
    gatorbait51 and sigman69 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    You have never trained in hand to hand with it then. I have a few clip holsters that I really liked and seemed to hold really tight on a leather belt. That one lasted 10 minutes in a force on force class before it sailed across the room with gun still in it. Even if your clips hold that hybrid shell thingy will not.
    Again, appreciate your OPINIONS. You have no idea what I've done. Mine works fine. Nice thing is that you get to wear what you want, and so do I. Strikes me that there have been LOTS of opinions spouted as Gospel straight from the Deity's mouth that have turned out to be opinions and nothing more over the years. I recall the HUGE push for the all holsters to meet the standards set by Serpa holsters, turns out they are a ND waiting to happen. Used to hear a lot of old-timers talk about how leather is always better - until it gets soaking wet. Flaps used to be required on holsters too. Same with retention lanyards. All have gone the way of the dodo. Current craze is pointing a loaded firearm at ones private parts. This too shall pass. Have a great day!
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Again, appreciate your OPINIONS. You have no idea what I've done. Mine works fine. Nice thing is that you get to wear what you want, and so do I. Strikes me that there have been LOTS of opinions spouted as Gospel straight from the Deity's mouth that have turned out to be opinions and nothing more over the years. I recall the HUGE push for the all holsters to meet the standards set by Serpa holsters, turns out they are a ND waiting to happen. Used to hear a lot of old-timers talk about how leather is always better - until it gets soaking wet. Flaps used to be required on holsters too. Same with retention lanyards. All have gone the way of the dodo. Current craze is pointing a loaded firearm at ones private parts. This too shall pass. Have a great day!
    Actually forward of hip has been around since firearms were made small enough to carry. Good ideas come back around.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

I use a clip on holster, you canít see it but there is a smaller clip inside the over the belt clip that locks the holster securely to the belt.

A good solid list of holsters to avoid.-p1010187.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

The nine-bad-holsters list was incomplete, partly because, except in one specific case, it did not name names.
    Specifically, it did not include the Fobus holster, the child of someone's imagination which should have been aborted before birth.
    When a felon decides to do a gun snatch, it's a Fobus holster that he looks for. It's easy-peasy.

The moral of the entire story: Avoid cheap holsters!
    Why anyone who would spend $300-to-$600 on a pistol would than carry that pistol in a $25 holster just beggars my imagination.
    But people do it.

And, no, a properly-constructed and properly-cared-for leather holster does not turn to limp mush when it gets wet.
    That may only be a property of several De Santis products. It is not a general case.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links