Secure Carry Flub at Movie Theater

This is a discussion on Secure Carry Flub at Movie Theater within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mrs. Old Man and I were out this evening to the movie theater to watch "1917" (IMHO not very good, definitely not up to a ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Secure Carry Flub at Movie Theater

Distinguished Member

Mrs. Old Man and I were out this evening to the movie theater to watch "1917" (IMHO not very good, definitely not up to a Golden Globe award). It was heavily raining when we left and we arrived a little late. The theater was dark and the last of the previews were playing as we took our seats. It was difficult to see the other folks in the theater, but we chose two seats with a little space around us and sat down.

At the end of the movie as the credits were playing, but before the lights came back up, in the row I was sitting two young men nearest me to my left stood up to leave and I heard the unmistakable sound of a handgun hitting the deck and go skittering across the concrete floor. In hushed voices I heard one tell the other, "I dropped my gun", and the other say, "You better find it, quick!" They commenced to go searching without a light for it on their hands and knees. I was pretty sure it had went towards me and was under one of the seats in the next row.

As other people were now standing up and moving around, their shenanigans didn't cause any large disturbance. I had my normal EDC paraphernalia, including a Streamlight ProTac 2AA, which I produced and shined it where I thought it had went, searching under the seats, quickly spotted the pistol. It looked like a small single stack like a small Glock or Shield. With one hand discreetly on the grip of my own pistol, I whispered to them "Its over here," and the nearest one retrieved it, stuffed it in his pocket, and quickly muttered a "Thanks man," and exiting.

My wife leaned over and asked me what the disturbance was about and I whispered I would tell her outside. It was still raining and I went to get the truck, leaving her inside the lobby. As I walked towards my truck I spotted the two persons leaning against the side of the building having a smoke. There was no acknowledgement of me and I walked onto my truck. They were pre-occupied making phone calls.

In the vehicle on the way home my wife asked how I thought the person was carrying that they would have dropped their pistol. I told her that I thought that he raked it out of his pants on the arm rest as he stood up. I don't know if the holster was made for the pistol, if the clasp broke, spring pulled up and loose, or what, but this could have turned out much worse for the individual than it did.

Finders keepers
    OldChap, M1911A1, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

I'm going to have to start checking under the seats for handguns when I get to the movies! Good job helping them out.
    OldChap, M1911A1, baren and 6 others like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Old Man, good thing it wasn't a Sig P225 or they might never have gotten it back....
    OldChap, baren, Old Man and 3 others like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

Senior Moderator
    Glad you had a torch!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    I agree with OM the film was beautifully shot but it was nothing new it pretty much went as I expected it to. Joker for me is still best picture of 2019.
    Pete63 and Old Man like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Had something similar happen back when I first started carrying as a civilian, not knowing any better I was carrying a Kel-Tec P-32 in an Uncle Mikes IWB holster when I suddenly heard the unmistakable sound of plastic bouncing and sliding across the floor. Luckily I was able to grab it and stuff it in my pocket before anyone noticed, most embarrassing.
    Pete63, Old Man, Struckat and 6 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Glad you had a torch!
    Try not to leave home without one!

My leo brother used to tell me that was why Det. Phil Fish in Barney Miller wore a shoulder holster - he kept dropping his gun on the floor in the bathroom or maybe it was because he was in there so much.

Good thing the guy in the theater didn't pick it up by the trigger.
    G26Raven, OD*, ETXhiker and 4 others like this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly2 View Post
    My leo brother used to tell me that was why Det. Phil Fish in Barney Miller wore a shoulder holster - he kept dropping his gun on the floor in the bathroom or maybe it was because he was in there so much...
    Hah!
    Just wait until you're that old. Then you'll understand.
    After about age 75, bathrooms take on a whole new significance.

As my doctor told me, as I passed that milestone (and it wasn't the only stone that I passed): "You must never pass-up a bathroom, and never trust a fart."
    They were words of wisdom to live by...and words with which to avoid embarrassment, too.

But there are better solutions than shoulder holsters, especially if you wear suspenders (braces).
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    Hah!
    Just wait until you're that old. Then you'll understand.

As my doctor told me, as I passed that milestone (and it wasn't the only stone that I passed): "You must never pass-up a bathroom, and never trust a fart."
    They were words of wisdom to live by...and words with which to avoid embarrassment, too.

But there are better solutions than shoulder holsters, especially if you wear suspenders (braces).
    And never waste....an opportunity for a nap. I think thatís how that saying went.

I am baffled how some think they can carry a gun unsecured. Was it in a coat pocket? And yes, very glad he didnít pick it up by the trigger.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

VIP Member
    Bathrooms. Many a LEO sidearm has been found in a bathroom. Shoulder holsters are your friend.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post

That's what I have to look forward to????
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

All I ever find under movie theater seats are boogers and chewing gum.
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

I just canít believe you didnít think ď1917Ē was good...
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links