Need Tier 1 Elite holster advice for Sig P365

This is a discussion on Need Tier 1 Elite holster advice for Sig P365 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iím just getting into concealed carry and Iím ordering my first AIWB holster. I decided to go with the Tier 1 Axis Elite for my ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Need Tier 1 Elite holster advice for Sig P365

Iím just getting into concealed carry and Iím ordering my first AIWB holster. I decided to go with the Tier 1 Axis Elite for my Sig P365. Problem isÖ. I donít know which magazine size Iíll be using and thatís making it difficult to configure my order. To make things more difficult, a call to Tier 1 resulted in a vague and incomplete/unhelpful answer to my questions. So, my P365 came with a standard 10rd mag and a 10rd mag with the pinky extension; and I picked up a 12rd magazine. Iíve never seen or held the 15rd magazine. My dilemma comes with the choice between the standard magazine holder and Tier 1ís ďextended magazineĒ option - the description says the ďextendedĒ version is a ď+4 roundĒ version. However, the optional extended mags available only come in +2rd and +5rd versions. So, I called Tier 1 for clarification and they guy sounded like he didnít want to be bothered and kept insisting, ďitís a 4+ extensionĒ until he realized that there isnít a +4 magazine made; at which point he just said, ďwell, then itís the bigger one.Ē At this point I didnít have much confidence in his information or his interest in helping me so I thanked him, hung up and started typing this. Lol!

If I order the ďextended magazineĒ version and its made for the 12rd Iíd have to accept a considerably higher riding position if I wanted to run the 15rd; but if itís made for the 15rd magazine, both the 12rd and the 10rd would sit super low - maybe too low? Heck, I donít know if they would even work. I mean, would a 10rd mag even be retained if you stuck it down into a 15 round holster? What Iím asking isÖ Which magazine is the Tier 1 Axis (or Agis) Elite ďextendedĒ magazine holder designed for? And which other magazines (if any) can be effectively and comfortably worn with this configuration?

FWIW - I really need that finger extension on the 10rd magazine, AT LEAST, to get a good grip on the P365. So, I canít see any reason not to (at least) carry with the 12rd magazine, which is essentially the same size as the 10rd with pinky extension. I feel like the 15rd would be more difficult to conceal, which is my primary reason for choosing the P365. As for the extra magazine, I like the idea of the 15rd but I wonder whether the 12rd wouldnít be a little more comfortable to wear in the appendix position when sitting. Maybe itís still short enough that it wonít sit so proud as to poke you badly in the stomach? If Im already carrying 13rds in the pistol, how many more rounds do I realistically need in a civilian carry? I know the answer is always, Ďmore is better.í But I need this to be both comfortable and very concealable on my skinny frame and Iíll trade a few rounds if itíll make a significant difference in those regards. Iím totally open to advice on this but I want to make sure that I actually carry the rig EVERY day and every situation. My inexperienced mind tells me that 25 rounds OUGHT to be enough for 99% of situations.

Sorry for the long post and thanks to those that reply!
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Your holster and mag carrier should be separate.

The fact that the holster limits what mags you use should tell you that it is junk.
    Rabbit212, JD, 5lima30ret and 1 others like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post

The fact that the holster limits what mags you use should tell you that it is junk.
    It's for AIWB having the gun and mag on the same holster is not uncommon in AIWB holsters.
    Struckat and Pete63 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Sendit my advice is get the shorter version there is a 99% chance you will never fire your pistol in a self defense situation.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    It's for AIWB having the gun and mag on the same holster is not uncommon in AIWB holsters.
    Not uncommon, but depending on the rig there's a LOT of less than ideal sets ups where the integrated

I still prefer a separate AIWB mag carrier than the tactical kydex cod piece.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JD
    Administrator
    @Sendit6.5 ,

Go to JM Custom Kydex and check out their offerings.

I have several of the items below and have been happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Sendit my advice is get the shorter version there is a 99% chance you will never fire your pistol in a self defense situation.
    Thanks! I think thatís sound advice and is pretty much what I was thinking. I just needed to hear it from some other folks. Heck, I never felt underpowered with my Glock 17 or my XDm .40 with just 1 magazine and this P365 setup Iím considering will give me more rounds even with the smallest magazines. If these holsters werenít so pricey I would have jumped earlier; but, since they are, I wanted to toss it around with some others. Thanks you, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post

I didnít say it ďlimitsĒ what mags you use. They offer two different magazine size options just like any company offers options. The difference will be ride heights. If you stick a 10rd magazine into ANYONEíS 15rd holster itís going to sink lower than the the 10 rounder; making it more difficult/awkward to remove. I was hoping to find some forum members that personally use(d) these holsters and could offer some personal, first-hand experience that I could use to make my decision. Unfortunately, it doesnít seem like there are many here using them. Also, these holsters are able to be carried separately although theyíre usually worn as a single unit that flexes - to fit your body, conceal better and be comfortable while providing easy appendix access to both your firearm and your spare magazine.

I may be new to concealed carry but Iím very thorough in my research and, while this setup may not be perfect for every person and situation, I know for certain it is NOT ďjunk.Ē Making a statement that a product you obviously have zero experience or familiarity with is junk, makes about as much sense as me assuming (from that statement) that you donít have anything valid to share. You know what Ďtheyí say about ďassumptions,Ē right? I was referred to these holsters by two instructors and several competitive shooters that use these holsters for EDC - and all of them shot like I can only aspire to. So, Iím pretty confident that, despite my inexperience and your assertions, they are quality products. Thanks for the input though.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    @Sendit6.5 ,

Go to JM Custom Kydex and check out their offerings.

I have several of the items below and have been happy with them.

I will definitely check them out and thanks for your advice! One reason I was drawn to the Tier 1 Elite holsters is the fact that they can be run together OR separated into 2 independent units; giving me the option to try both ways in a single purchase. Plus, as I mentioned above, they were recommended by several folks that Iíve met that really impressed me with their skills and their backgrounds. One of them is a hunting client of mine that is ex-military and now trains LE and private security firms. However, Iím neither of those and have no such aspirations. Lol! Thatís why I wanted to reach out to more people to get a wide array of input.

Any idea whether JMís holsters with the regular holes (i.e. 1.5Ē steel clips) will work with UltiClips? I want to have the newer UltiClips on any holster I buy because they will work both over a belt AND clipping directly to pant fabric. This universal attachment method means I can carry whether Iím in pajamas, church clothes or guiding our hunters on the ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rabbit212 likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendit6.5 View Post
    Thanks! I think thatís sound advice and is pretty much what I was thinking. I just needed to hear it from some other folks. Heck, I never felt underpowered with my Glock 17 or my XDm .40 with just 1 magazine and this P365 setup Iím considering will give me more rounds even with the smallest magazines. If these holsters werenít so pricey I would have jumped earlier; but, since they are, I wanted to toss it around with some others. Thanks you, Sir!

I didnít say it ďlimitsĒ what mags you use. They offer two different magazine size options just like any company offers options. The difference will be ride heights. If you stick a 10rd magazine into ANYONEíS 15rd holster itís going to sink lower than the the 10 rounder; making it more difficult/awkward to remove. I was hoping to find some forum members that personally use(d) these holsters and could offer some personal, first-hand experience that I could use to make my decision. Unfortunately, it doesnít seem like there are many here using them. Also, these holsters are able to be carried separately although theyíre usually worn as a single unit that flexes - to fit your body, conceal better and be comfortable while providing easy appendix access to both your firearm and your spare magazine.

I may be new to concealed carry but Iím very thorough in my research and, while this setup may not be perfect for every person and situation, I know for certain it is NOT ďjunk.Ē Making a statement that a product you obviously have zero experience or familiarity with is junk, makes about as much sense as me assuming (from that statement) that you donít have anything valid to share. You know what Ďtheyí say about ďassumptions,Ē right? I was referred to these holsters by two instructors and several competitive shooters that use these holsters for EDC - and all of them shot like I can only aspire to. So, Iím pretty confident that, despite my inexperience and your assertions, they are quality products. Thanks for the input though.

I will definitely check them out and thanks for your advice! One reason I was drawn to the Tier 1 Elite holsters is the fact that they can be run together OR separated into 2 independent units; giving me the option to try both ways in a single purchase. Plus, as I mentioned above, they were recommended by several folks that Iíve met that really impressed me with their skills and their backgrounds. One of them is a hunting client of mine that is ex-military and now trains LE and private security firms. However, Iím neither of those and have no such aspirations. Lol! Thatís why I wanted to reach out to more people to get a wide array of input.

Any idea whether JMís holsters with the regular holes (i.e. 1.5Ē steel clips) will work with UltiClips? I want to have the newer UltiClips on any holster I buy because they will work both over a belt AND clipping directly to pant fabric. This universal attachment method means I can carry whether Iím in pajamas, church clothes or guiding our hunters on the ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know the AIWB 2.0 can be had with DCC clips which I recomend over the Utilicips.

Bad idea. Requires long, unnatural reach to pull the spare magazine.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipKirkwood View Post
    Not really. Depending on shoulder mobility it can be more preferable than being on the side or behind the hip. I would still prefer it to be further away from the gun it not mirrored to the location of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I know the AIWB 2.0 can be had with DCC clips which I recomend over the Utilicips.

I'm tempted to try the JM holster but they only make ONE model that works for both the P365 and the P365XL; which means I'd be wearing 1" of extra Kydex that I don't need. That kinda defeats the purpose of getting the micro pistol. I bought this little thing to have something really discreet and comfortable. Maybe that 1" isn't enough to work about? I do know that Tier 1 has a different mold for their P365 holster, that's smaller than their P365XL model. However, their XL version will work for the regular P365. Maybe I'll order both and try both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipKirkwood View Post
    Skip to 2:06

Doesn't seem to interfere for this guy. I'm guessing it's more a matter of what you are used to and how much you practice at it. There's probably faster guys and setups but, if I can be this fast some time before I die, I'll be one happy camper. JMO Sure seems like a pretty solid setup that hides well.

JD
    Administrator

Doesn't seem to interfere for this guy. I'm guessing it's more a matter of what you are used to and how much you practice at it. There's probably faster guys and setups but, if I can be this fast some time before I die, I'll be one happy camper. JMO Sure seems like a pretty solid setup that hides well.
    My issue is when the magazine is direct center or inside the the 1st belts loops on either side it is either uncomfortable OR sits too low to get positive access.

JD
    Administrator
    I'm tempted to try the JM holster but they only make ONE model that works for both the P365 and the P365XL; which means I'd be wearing 1" of extra Kydex that I don't need. That kinda defeats the purpose of getting the micro pistol. I bought this little thing to have something really discreet and comfortable. Maybe that 1" isn't enough to work about? I do know that Tier 1 has a different mold for their P365 holster, that's smaller than their P365XL model. However, their XL version will work for the regular P365. Maybe I'll order both and try both of them.
    It shouldn't make a lot of difference. Most people I know will opt for a longer holster when its available.

The short barreled autos tend to he top heavy when holstered and the longer holster helps prevent the gun from "rolling" away from the user.

This is exactly why I suggest that grip panels be smooth!
    First of all, the control areas when shooting a semi-auto are the front strap and the back strap. The grip panels don't do anything useful.
    Second, the grip panels should be smooth so that the pistol can rotate in the hand as easily as possible.
    So this guy is doing a "brand new trick" that I learned about 43 years ago: Rotate the pistol in the strong hand, so that the thumb can more easily push the magazine release button.

However, this guy still isn't doing it as efficiently as possible.
    He lowers the pistol toward his reload, and he looks down in order to see the whole process through.
    That is, he wastes time by moving some of him, and then wastes more time having to recover from that movement.

Keep the pistol at eye height, as if you were still looking through its sights.
    Rotate the pistol and punch the button. (If the magazine doesn't drop, you should've cleaned your pistol, or you have a lousy gunsmith.)
    At the very same time, your weak hand should be going for the reload...without looking for or at it. (You need to practice this trick.)
    Bring the reload up to the pistol. Do not lower the pistol to meet the reload.
    Look at the place where the reload will be entering the pistol, and "look it in." Slam it home with the heel of the weak-hand palm.
    Bring the weak hand to the pistol, and have it aid in rotating the gun back into correct position.
    As soon as you've re-established your grip, shoot.

Now, bear in mind that this whole thing is a competitor's trick.
    Proof: Look at where he's carrying his pistol and his reload. Would you carry concealed like that? (I wouldn't.)
    In real-life concealment, the whole process takes somewhat longer, but it is still much more efficient and sure than any other emergency reload system.

But you gotta practice it.
    Over and over again.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links