Made my pocket holster

Made my pocket holster

This is a discussion on Made my pocket holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a good pocket holster for the new Kahr PM40. For several years I've carried the XDS 45 locally in a Sticky ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By SpringerXD
  • 1 Post By norcalAF
  • 2 Post By G26Raven
  • 1 Post By SpringerXD
  • 1 Post By Cornhusker95
  • 2 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Made my pocket holster

VIP Member

Made my pocket holster

I've been looking for a good pocket holster for the new Kahr PM40. For several years I've carried the XDS 45 locally in a Sticky pocket holster. It's okay, but I'm tired of having zero retention and the whole puffy nylon bag effect. So this time I decided to go with kydex.

I've looked at several of the recommended ones, like the Alabama, Vedder, and others.

The Bad (my opinions only):

The Alabama doesn't fully cover the trigger guard, just "mostly" covers it. That's a pet peeve of mine.

The Vedder is too "fitted" on the outside, that is, it looks like it would print like a gun.

To be honest, I don't care for the prices on these. Not saying they're not worth it, but still....

I hear that the Alabama has a long wait time.

The Good (my opinions only):

They're both good quality.

They both have the rounded hook to adhere to the leg.

The Alabama has a more vague outside profile, i.e. won't print so much as a gun.

So I decided to make my own.

Just so everyone knows, this wasn't my first attempt. I started bending kydex a couple of months ago and this one is the first one I consider acceptable. Still not perfect, but better than previous attempts. It was always something; I trimmed in the wrong place, the hook was too square, etc....

Anyway, here's the one I did tonight. It's hard to make out the slanted hook from a profile view.

The hook looks really rough from this angle. It looks much neater in real life.

It definitely gives me the slimness I'm looking for.

It's not quite finished. I'll do some touch-up, hopefully tomorrow, when I'll have better lighting. Maybe smooth out some edges and such.

I'm debating about making a thumb push-off like others I've seen, but it really doesn't seem to need it. So far I haven't been able to get the holster to come out with the gun no matter how hard I've tried. I'm also debating as to whether I'm going to put a rivet in the hook. But like the thumb push-off, it doesn't really seem to need it since the wings are super-glued.

Next I need to do one for the XDS and ditch the Sticky.
    Old Man, QKShooter and Bad Bob like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Once you get up and running, I'm in for one for my MK40! Forum discount? Lol. It looks pretty darn good, and no one is going to see it but you anyway.
    SpringerXD likes this.

SpringerXD, the reason for the thumb release is so you can pre-release the pistol from the holster before you try to draw it from your pocket. I am not sure how many tenths of a second this may make on your draw, or not, but I like having it on my Vedder pocket holster. And in case you missed my post from last week, no my Sig P365 does not print.
    SpringerXD and 10thmtn like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    SpringerXD, the reason for the thumb release is so you can pre-release the pistol from the holster before you try to draw it from your pocket. I am not sure how many tenths of a second this may make on your draw, or not, but I like having it on my Vedder pocket holster. And in case you missed my post from last week, no my Sig P365 does not print.
    Yeah, I knew that but I'm still debating as to whether or not I'll go with one. If so, it shouldn't be a big deal to fold the top over on the left side.

Decisions, decisions....
    G26Raven likes this.

-miklcolt45

Sweet gun....I could not help myself!
    SpringerXD likes this.

VIP Member
    I forgot this part: the holster, by sheer luck and not because of any "talent" on my part, wound up with the most perfect retention I could imagine. It gives a little resistance both when holstering and drawing, but not enough to cause a problem. I can also hold it upside down and do the shake test and it won't budge. Retention is what was always lacking in the Sticky and DeSantis nylon types.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I forgot this part: the holster, by sheer luck and not because of any "talent" on my part, wound up with the most perfect retention I could imagine. It gives a little resistance both when holstering and drawing, but not enough to cause a problem. I can also hold it upside down and do the shake test and it won't budge. Retention is what was always lacking in the Sticky and DeSantis nylon types.
    Kahr's make every holster work better

Administrator
    Nice neat job.
    I'd put a rivet in the hook.
    SpringerXD and Wavygravy like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links