Question for amateur Kydex holster makers

This is a discussion on Question for amateur Kydex holster makers within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some kydex that I would really love to have one or two holsters made out of. The equipment I work on has covers ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By TN_Mike
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Struckat
  • 1 Post By matthew03
  • 1 Post By dangerranger

Thread: Question for amateur Kydex holster makers

I have some kydex that I would really love to have one or two holsters made out of. The equipment I work on has covers made of kydex. I recently replaced a couple of covers at a site and I have the old ones. I am very interested in finding out of I can have a couple of holsters made from this kydex as this would be very personal to me.

If anyone of our members here who make kydex holsters can respond here or contact me I would appreciate it.
    JD and matthew03 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Hey Mike! Good to hear from you!

I fabricated some covers for equipment and the like, but nothing like a holster. I'll be watching this as well.

Stay safe in these crazy times!
    TN_Mike likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Most holsters are made from .006-.008 kydex--to my knowledge. I've used both, and either has it advantages. Thinner is easier to work with, thicker is stronger, less likely to crack at stress points.

The stuff shrinks when initially heated, so don't go "too small." One nice thing about kydex is it can be reheated and remolded.

I'm far from an expert, having made only a few personal holsters. Some worked out okay, some not so much. There are a few holster makers on the forum who will probably chip in better info.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/holst...9i12uolj547vg0

They also have instructional video. I have not tried to make one, but it looks doable.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

I feel like I posted some tutorials in the Appalachian Concealment threads; would have been 2015 or so if the forum history goes back that far.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

The way to know is cut a 6" square and heat it either in a toaster oven or on a griddle. At about 200 deg it should be pliable. set it over a small object and press it to take that shape. let it cool and it should hold that shape. That simple test will tell! Good Luck. DR
    TN_Mike likes this.

Sponsored Links