Concealed carry on recumbent trike

This is a discussion on Concealed carry on recumbent trike within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sometimes challenged by unrestrained, agressive dogs on my daily ride through residential neighborhoods, through City parks, on bike paths, etc. My ride is a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Concealed carry on recumbent trike

I'm sometimes challenged by unrestrained, agressive dogs on my daily ride through residential neighborhoods, through City parks, on bike paths, etc. My ride is a recumbent trike, so I'm very low to the ground.

Name:  Cruiser.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  7.8 KB

I have a back-of-the-seat pouch to carry a multi-tool, ID, phone, etc., and I could carry my Glock 42 there, but getting to it quickly would be a problem - I've been looking for some kind of concealed carry, upper-chest holster that wouldn't pull down on the back of my neck - any suggestions? Thanks!
    Redbert31 likes this.

VIP Member
    Appendix? Or maybe a fanny pack? Kangaroo carry?
    Redbert31 likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Distinguished Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tnstaafl View Post
    I'm sometimes challenged by unrestrained, agressive dogs on my daily ride through residential neighborhoods, through City parks, on bike paths, etc. My ride is a recumbent trike, so I'm very low to the ground.

I have a back-of-the-seat pouch to carry a multi-tool, ID, phone, etc., and I could carry my Glock 42 there, but getting to it quickly would be a problem - I've been looking for some kind of concealed carry, upper-chest holster that wouldn't pull down on the back of my neck - any suggestions? Thanks!
    What an interesting thing to come up. Someone just gifted me a recumbant, a Sun Sport CX. More of a sit up bike, very long wheelbase. Not at all the same as riding a conventional bike.

In my case, belt holster IWB a 3 o'clock. The same as I normally use.

Or maybe a fanny pack?
    That too. Or keep a few dog treats to toss, to distract them.
    Redbert31 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tnstaafl View Post
    I've been looking for some kind of concealed carry, upper-chest holster that wouldn't pull down on the back of my neck - any suggestions? Thanks!
    https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

As a cyclist, upright, recumbent and trikes, I have tried several ideas. Almost none of them allow quick access and not presenting a problem while riding. On a trike, you might consider mounting a box on the boom so that the box is narrow and upright between your legs.

I am currently using a rotovello, which offers a few more opportunities for positioning stuff. No matter what you decide, in regard to firearm placement, make sure you have some form of foot retention, be it toe clips or clipless.

Here is one of my many informal campsites as I rode from Kansas to Utah. I had a Browning Hi-Power in the saddlebags behind me, as such it was only available in camp.
    Pete63, wmhawth and Redbert31 like this.

VIP Member
    Not sure if CC is your only option. If open carry is OK.
    Perhaps fashion a holster to attach to the side of the seat where you could draw quicker.

I have a DeSantis Sky Cop crossdraw holster. I use that to carry my G26 when I ride my recumbent. This is the best method I've found for carrying on the trike.
    OD* and Redbert31 like this.
    Bill

Something like this mount, but maybe use a small bento bag.

I keep a P3AT in one similar to this on a regular bike.

Shooting someones dog (or at someones dog) is going to cause a $hit storm. If you're only concerned about 4 legged, vicious animals, there is a simple solution. On my trike, I attach a 20" X 3/4" hardwood dowel as a 'dog-knocker' to the seat side tube with rubber bands, it can be grabbed and torn off in an instant. Mind you, I have never had to 'knock' a dog with it. You can use it to fend off a dog and keep him a good distance away. Most dogs recognize that you're armed and back off when they see it in your hand. You always have the whack-to-the-head in reserve.

Save the firearm for two-legged varmints, but you still have to solve the holster problem. And think about the downside of sweating on your weapon when choosing.
    Instymp, Pete63 and Redbert31 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasaf View Post
    As a cyclist, upright, recumbent and trikes, I have tried several ideas. Almost none of them allow quick access and not presenting a problem while riding. On a trike, you might consider mounting a box on the boom so that the box is narrow and upright between your legs.

I am currently using a rotovello, which offers a few more opportunities for positioning stuff. No matter what you decide, in regard to firearm placement, make sure you have some form of foot retention, be it toe clips or clipless.

Here is one of my many informal campsites as I rode from Kansas to Utah. I had a Browning Hi-Power in the saddlebags behind me, as such it was only available in camp.
    Is that a roof, or solar panels on the bike?
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    I ride upright gravel and road bikes. Before I lost weight, I carried IWB at 3:00 when riding, now AIWB.
    Pete63 and Redbert31 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Shooting someones dog (or at someones dog) is going to cause a $hit storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    If you're only concerned about 4 legged, vicious animals, there is a simple solution. On my trike, I attach a 20" X 3/4" hardwood dowel as a 'dog-knocker' to the seat side tube with rubber bands, it can be grabbed and torn off in an instant. Mind you, I have never had to 'knock' a dog with it. You can use it to fend off a dog and keep him a good distance away. Most dogs recognize that you're armed and back off when they see it in your hand. You always have the whack-to-the-head in reserve.

Save the firearm for two-legged varmints, but you still have to solve the holster problem. And think about the downside of sweating on your weapon when choosing.
    My thoughts exactly. There are people in my area that think their dog is no issue running around loose. While I do carry a firearm, I also carry, both a walking stick & "bear spray". I love dogs, and would be saddened if I had to put one down, from "some nitwit's negligence".
    Then there's the legal end of it. My firearm is reserved for "two legged predator's".
    Redbert31 likes this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Not sure if CC is your only option. If open carry is OK.
    Perhaps fashion a holster to attach to the side of the seat where you could draw quicker.
    He lives here. NO REASON not to OC, unless he's not licensed.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    He lives here. NO REASON not to OC, unless he's not licensed.
    Lots of reasons not to OC, licensed or not.
    Pete63 likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    I own two mountain bike's, and when I ride, I pocket carry my XDs. Like I mentioned in earlier post, my position is a firearm is for "upright predator's".
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links