"Man" purse with shoulder strap?

This is a discussion on "Man" purse with shoulder strap? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Occasionally, I've wondered if I could 'pull off' a man purse worn with a shoulder strap. It seems to me that a man would have ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree350Likes

Thread: "Man" purse with shoulder strap?

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar

Occasionally, I've wondered if I could 'pull off' a man purse worn with a shoulder strap. It seems to me that a man would have to look at least sort of funky to make it work: some ink, an earring, pony tail, etc. As of now, I've got pretty short hair and a gray mustache/goatee, but none of the other stuff.

I actually would like something that looked 'manly' enough to carry a gun, a spare mag, a flashlight and my cell phone. If it was sized properly, I might even be able to carry my Glock 23.2 and a spare 13 or 15-round mag.

Has anyone ever found such a bag? How does it look? How does it feel? Do you get a lot of looks from other guys? How does it feel in social situations - having a beer with the neighbors?

I appreciate the input. Pictures and links would be nice also.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

I've got a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. https://www.maxpedition.com/collecti...nt=25898234184

I like it. I usually carry it on hikes or walking my Aussie dogs. Nice velcro to deck it out with some morale patches or such. I'm not really concerned with looking manly, just functionality. It works great for me.
    Still Clingin'

VIP Member
    I have a 1990's Coach bag I use for work. Made back when they were still quality. It's fine for toting stuff to and from the office, but it's a pain in the rear if I want to have a beer with someone or go somewhere where I can't leave it in the car.

I don't carry a lot, though. Knife, key fob, comb, gun, and money clip wallet. That' about it.

Women carry lots of things, men don't. It's just the way we're wired.

I also would never carry a gun in a bag when I can carry it on my person.
    Last edited by PEF; May 13th, 2020 at 09:43 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'd go with some type of messenger bag like this one:

https://www.wish.com/product/56877ab..._BwE&share=web

I am not big into carrying a gun in a bag, but when I have had to, I have gone for something really mundane and unnoticeable: A computer bag. It's a "look" that a guy would not have to "pull off." Computer bags are so commonplace no one even questions them. And there are ones made with built in holsters.

My range bag is also a big computer bag that a company issued me but didn't want back.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

No way I would even consider carrying a purse. I'm a man, purses are for women.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    You just haven't found one that matches your shoes!
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I understand the utility, but is it worth someone revoking your man card?!

Seriously though, I’d be nervous carrying a gun in a bag that could be torn off my shoulder. Same reason I wouldn’t recommend a woman carry one in her purse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    Tell that to a proper Scotsman and see what happens.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Tell that to a proper Scotsman and see what happens.
    Do not ever tell a proper Scott he is wearing a purse, it is a sporran. Totally different.
    Kilts do not have pockets.
    Mine will fit a snubbie

You guys are a riot! Lots of good ideas, despite the side discussion. I'm not thinking of this as an EDC, just something that would allow me to tote my G23 and a spare mag. Who knows? If it seems to work well and I can still attract chicks like I'm used to (ahem), why not make it a regular thing? I've often envied some women's shoulder bags. They look so functional. And, I don't like having my pockets full of bulky things like key rings full of keys … they'd fit perfect in the proper shoulder bag (you see, no longer calling it a purse).

Regarding someone tearing it off my shoulder, I'd wear it cross strapped with a stout strap. If someone tried to run by or even ride by on a scooter, they'd probably dislocate their shoulders (and maybe mine). Not to worry on that count.

I'll check out the links now...gracias mi amigos.
    StripesDude and baren like this.

VIP Member
    Y’all should carry what you want anyway you want.
    As for me, I just can’t bring myself to carry a murse

Jeffrey - that's pretty cool. Definitely masculine, except for all the straps. I'd need something more nondescript than that.

I've also been thinking about my old Land's End canvas attache. It's black and is properly beat up after 30+ years of use. Hmmm.
    surefire7 likes this.

Bentlink - that is truly a work of art. However, a bit pricey and a bit too 'tactical' for me. Do you ever get any feedback when you wear it? What do you carry inside? I can't ever see parting with my wallet: that stays in my left front pocket, always, and it's very minimal with room for about 8-9 cards and a magnetic money clip. I'll take a closer look

Distinguished Member
    Nope. Too easy to carry AIWB to bother with a bag. Easier than slipping a snubby in your pocket.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links