Fitness as part of your training - Page 5

Fitness as part of your training

This is a discussion on Fitness as part of your training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm old, so I don't beat myself to pieces like I did in my 20s and 30s. Tai Chi twice/week. Brisk 3 mile walk 4-5 ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Fitness as part of your training

Fitness as part of your training

I'm old, so I don't beat myself to pieces like I did in my 20s and 30s.

Tai Chi twice/week.

Brisk 3 mile walk 4-5 times/week.

Push-ups & sit-ups occasionally.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

I do a bodyweight workout every morning consisting of pushups, pullups, dips, and chinups, plus kettlebell swings. This is under twenty minutes. If I do not else, I am okay. I am on my feet all day also. I do this first thing in a fasted state.

When I can(60% of the time?), I follow this with either: swimming(public pool 100 yards away), quick jog or sprints, or long distance/low weight farmers carry.

I keep a mostly Paleo diet.
    Bodyweight training works well for me. The ability to increase the resistance is almost endless. For those that claim pushups become to easy and you can't keep progressing with them, try a planche pushup:

No, not me. I can't do one even not on fingertips!
    ccw9mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by VodoundaVinci View Post

Nutritionally I am an intermittent fast aficionado and will go up to 3 days without food at times...I try and do a 24 hour fast once a week and recommend training fasted. Works well for me.
    I think IF is one of the best and most under-utilized health tools available to us. Eating Paleo does make it eaiser for me as my body is more accustomed to burning fat as a primary fuel source rather than burning sugar like on the standard American diet. Fasting just doesn't bother my performance. I guess my body just doesn't care if it burns fat I just ate for energy or stored fat- energy stays consistent.

Besides being an easy way to slim down, IF has tons of health benefits. I also find some other small benefits that were unexpected. I save time on fasted days. I am super productive and focused and often fast on what I think will be my busiest day of the week. I have no problem skipping a meal spontaneously. I do not have to eat junk due to convenience, I'll just wait.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I named my dog "5 Miles" so I can tell people I walk 5 miles every day. just kidding

Actually, I stay fit by getting up at 0430 and exercising (sit ups, push ups, etc)

In the evening I run a couple of miles.

At my age, I feel good because I know I'm in better shape than most women half my age.
    TSiWRX and jem102 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I maintain that if you really want to be in control of your level of personal security/safety, then you need to do that which causes you to be deselected at a higher rate than the average Joe.

Clearly visible physical conditioning is one method to achieve that.
    TSiWRX, MMinSC and jem102 like this.

Some of everything - in cycles that are more related to my ADD than to a logical periodization schedule. Done the endurance thing, Crossfit. Rock climbing. Currently on a powerlifting program and krav maga. Trying to figure out how to keep my cardiovascular conditioning up without being trashed for squat and deadlift days. On a side note for those doing fighting arts for self defense - I've done a few and while I love me some BJJ and Muay Thai, they can't compare with good Krav Maga training for street survival.
    MMinSC likes this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Currently on a powerlifting program and krav maga. Trying to figure out how to keep my cardiovascular conditioning up without being trashed for squat and deadlift days.
    When I was doing Stronglifts 5x5, I would finish up with half an hour of swimming for cardio. It really finishes off the muscles and allowed my off days to be for rest.

My wife and I are both gym rats. We go at least 3 times a week where my wife likes to do Yoga and such and I lift and run on the tread mill. For 60 years old, we are doing ok. Certainly we run into the occasional strains or pulled muscles, but we enjoy it. When we are at our Florida place we ride bikes a lot, generally getting in 15 to 20 miles a day ---- but, that's from bar to bar.

I've been working out regularly since 08. In that time I've went through a lot of changes, from noob messing around to more serious split workouts, to cardio and back to traditional weights and everything in between. Early last year I started focusing on some volume functional stuff with a LOT of running while I trained for my first obstacle course, which was a blast.

After I met that goal I started strength training on stronglifts. I loved the back to basics approach, gained a ton of strength and weight and I found the linear progression to be very motivating - but, after things started getting really heavy I felt like crap a lot of the time and my body took some steps backwards aesthetically. Mainly where I'm at in life right now with a toddler that's a handful and a baby on the way plus working 50+ hours a week, I think I wasn't able to achieve optimum rest and diet to let my body recover.

I went back to 'bro' split stuff with mild cardio five days a week for a while and got bored again, so last week I switched to ice cream fitness which is the basic 5x5 stuff with some well thought out accessory work. I like it a lot so far, but time will tell how I hold up as the strength training stuff becomes very taxing over time.

Trouble with the 5x5s for me is I also find three days a week to be not very stimulating mentally as well as how my body looks after years of more visual focused volume stuff. We shall see I guess, honestly I'm at a point fitness wise where I'm bored and not motivated overall. I've even taken a couple weeks breaks the past year or so to try to recharge and the focus just isn't there like it used to be. I guess getting older doesn't help lol.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Senior Member Array xmanhockey7's Avatar
    I do grappling/judo with a bunch of guys who're bigger than me. I have no need to lift weights. I also referee hockey.

VIP Member
    Till the knee replacement 3 weeks ago my routine was ride recumbent bike an hour 3X per week, do 50 pushups every other day (on the steps, so not honest pushups. after shoulder surgeries doc put me on low pressure higher rep exercises) then do curls with 12 lb hand weights. For 2 months prior to any scuba trips I swim 2 miles 3X per week but again, I use fins, mask and snorkel making it easier (but replicates how I'd be equipped if left behind while diving). That has been my deal for the last 2 yrs. It will take me a while to get it back together. Hope to be able to join my wife mountain biking this summer. I just couldn't get through the pain last summer. The last 2 years I have been getting weaker as the kidneys fail. We will see how the next year sets me up for the rest of my life.
    VodoundaVinci likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

New Member Array derek.diruzza.3's Avatar
    I have a BS in Exercise Physiology and am a personal trainer as well. Fitness is huge to me!

Bike commute 4 days a week, 25 minutes one way, and I do a real mountain bike ride once a week. By that I mean that I ride up and down a mountain. Until I tweeted my shoulder, I was doing 1,000 push ups a week. Usually five sets of 50 (one every hour while at work).

Somehow I am still overweight.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Bike commute 4 days a week, 25 minutes one way, and I do a real mountain bike ride once a week. By that I mean that I ride up and down a mountain. Until I tweeted my shoulder, I was doing 1,000 push ups a week. Usually five sets of 50 (one every hour while at work).

Somehow I am still overweight.
    Weight loss has more to do with diet. The amount of calories you take in has to be less then the amount of calories you burn in a day. You can lose weight without even exercising.
    Dandyone likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    It's easy to laugh at some of the things in this video but, bottom line, they are training.

What did we do today?

ISIS 'training' video:

TSiWRX likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links