Sights?

Sights?

This is a discussion on Sights? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just some food for thought. 1. Does a baseball bat have sights? 2. Does a tennis racquet have sights? 3. Does a hockey stick have ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Sights?

Sights?

Just some food for thought.

1. Does a baseball bat have sights?
    2. Does a tennis racquet have sights?
    3. Does a hockey stick have sights?

All 3 are used to hit moving targets at close range. Small targets too. Think about it before complaining that your sights are preventing you from hitting your target with your handgun at close range.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

I don't think your analogy is valid at all. In all three examples that you cite, you are swinging an object to hit another moving object that is coming at you along a path. You are also hitting them within or just outside the range of your reach. Shooting a handgun is not the same thing at all.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

In a gunfight, you will probably have a moving object coming at you along your path. You will also be a moving object (hopefully) so you will be using a tool, launching a projectile at another moving object. The example is not exactly the same, but my point is hand eye coordination and tons of practice, help athletes perform the above skills. I've proven at the range in training class, that students who practice some of the same fundamentals, can make quality hits, while moving, at close range, without using their sights. Similar skills.

So how much different is shooting a handgun (at very close range?)
    AzQkr and Chicagobill like this.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Stumpkiller's Avatar
    Upstate NY in the highlands of the foothills
    I have a recurve bow with no sights that I have success with when deer hunting (with wood arrows and feather fletching) and can still get the 80 yard NFAA long shot on inanimate targets occasionally. I shoot it better than many of my iron-sighted pistol and revolvers at 20 yards.

BUT, I shoot the bow every day in my basement 20 yard "range" to keep the brain and muscles sharp.

If you practice enough not using the sights and can develop the level of skill then by all means - shoot from the hip. In fact, you should practice a "cramped" hold where you can't use the sights - like a situation where the assailant is too close for you to hold the pistol out. But you'll probably do better and be more consistent keeping that front sight in position.

I never blame my sights. But I change them if they don't suit me. THEN I use them.
    Charlie P.

Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out til too late that he's been playing with two queens all along. -- Terry Pratchett

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    Just some food for thought.

1. Does a baseball bat have sights?
    2. Does a tennis racquet have sights?
    3. Does a hockey stick have sights?

All 3 are used to hit moving targets at close range. Small targets too. Think about it before complaining that your sights are preventing you from hitting your target with your handgun at close range.
    There are people who can't hit the inside of a toilet bowl from point blank range. Reckon a set of Trijicons would help?
    Phaedrus, AzQkr, Ianthin and 11 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Stumpkiller rocked it with his answer.

I shoot trad bow, no sights. But you have to practice every day to stay good enough.
    You can neglect a sighted bow for years, pick it up and still be very close.

Sights on handguns have evolved from the little nubs, thin blades, and barley corn front sights found on the old guns for a reason.
    There are very few instances where one cannot use sights. They work....use them.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Explain to me how to use sights effectively within 0-7 feet? It wouldn't be a good idea to present a bad guy with your pistol at that close range anyway. Extending your arms to full extension when someone is closing in on you at that distance, seems pretty tough to do. Yet I see people shooting a target at 2-3 yards standing still trying to get a perfect sight picture. Sure use your sights if you can, but what if you can't?

Have you practiced this? As good bowhunters and athletes do?
    Chicagobill likes this.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Explain to me how to use sights effectively within 0-7 feet? It wouldn't be a good idea to present a bad guy with your pistol at that close range anyway. Extending your arms to full extension when someone is closing in on you at that distance, seems pretty tough to do. Yet I see people shooting a target at 2-3 yards standing still trying to get a perfect sight picture. Sure use your sights if you can, but what if you can't?

Have you practiced this? As good bowhunters and athletes do?
    Well now the orginal question is evolving in to something totally different isn't it?

In a CQC type attack shooting may not even be feasible. If they are that that close, it is doubtful that you would be able to draw.

Shooting is not always the best response.

But to answer your question, I can draw and shoot from any position and make the hits I want to make at practically any distance.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Next time I shoot something with my ball bat I'll remember this.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
    ClintTo and G26Raven like this.
    When the zombies come I'll carry carry my Colt .357 on an old Sam Browne belt like Rick Grimes Loaded with Black Talons!

Quote Originally Posted by Coty View Post
    Next time I shoot something with my ball bat I'll remember this.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
    Or when I hit baseballs with my Garand...
    Coty and Chicagobill like this.

Explain to me how to use sights effectively within 0-7 feet?
    You've changed the parameters of your question. No, I don't practice the use of sights at contact distance, i.e., as far as I can reach. I was trained by a LEO to draw the pistol, anchor the butt at the bottom of my rib cage, and fire.

Beyond contact distance, out to seven feet, point shooting is probably not a problem. I have made hits with Simunitions at that range. I can't tell you whether I got a sight picture or not. The instructors say I did, but I have no recollections.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

In my original post I said "close range" twice. My 3 examples are presuming "close range." Not sure how I changed the parameters? 0-7 feet is quite close range.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Distinguished Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    You've changed the parameters of your question. No, I don't practice the use of sights at contact distance, i.e., as far as I can reach. I was trained by a LEO to draw the pistol, anchor the butt at the bottom of my rib cage, and fire.

Beyond contact distance, out to seven feet, point shooting is probably not a problem. I have made hits with Simunitions at that range. I can't tell you whether I got a sight picture or not. The instructors say I did, but I have no recollections.
    How did your instructors know that you used your sights?
    AzQkr likes this.

If all my shooting was done at contact distance I wouldn't waste money on sights or RDSs. But most of my shots are at targets beyond arm's length.
    G-man* likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Stumpkiller rocked it with his answer.

I shoot trad bow, no sights. But you have to practice every day to stay good enough.
    You can neglect a sighted bow for years, pick it up and still be very close.

Sights on handguns have evolved from the little nubs, thin blades, and barley corn front sights found on the old guns for a reason.
    There are very few instances where one cannot use sights. They work....use them.
    Please do not confuse instinct archery with close range point shooting.
    The former takes a life time to master and stay sharp.
    The latter takes mere hours.
    Yes, sights work but, since you just admitted there are instances when sights cannot be used ( we will have to agree to disagree on just how rare the need is) why not just practice/master both aimed and threat focused shooting
    Chicagobill likes this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links