Maj. Gen. Mitchell L. WerBell III

This is a discussion on Maj. Gen. Mitchell L. WerBell III within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Per another members request in another recent thread------------------- In the first 4-5 seconds of the above, WerBell is speaking from his den, the same den ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Maj. Gen. Mitchell L. WerBell III

Sponsor

Per another members request in another recent thread-------------------

In the first 4-5 seconds of the above, WerBell is speaking from his den, the same den where this picture was taken of he and I just before 10 of us finished counter terr training at SIONICS in Powder Springs, Ga. in 81. Col Phelps, seen in the vid clip above was there during my stint at the school.

His son's owned Brigade Quartermasters back in those days, people may remember that supply chain. Not sure if they still do or not, it's been decades since then.

He's known for co developing the SIONICS suppressor along with Gordon Ingram, for his "military armament corp made [MAC ]10 he developed and demonstrated in the jungles of Vietnam.

An interview with Mitch in the same year I attended SIONICS here

ERINGER: THE COLUMNS: MITCHELL WERBELL: THE INTERVIEW

Like he mentions in the above interview, I just got lucky being accepted into their training and then afterward being asked to assist Mitch and his cadre of people on assignments OCONUS. No details of those assignments will make it to open forum here though. One of the unique skills we were given was through some secret squirrel doctor he brought in at SIONICS, who trained us on use of dart rifles used for euthanization.

https://army.togetherweserved.com/ar...rson&ID=331457

Mitch died in LA, Dec 01, 1983 while I was on an assignment for him in the mansion district of Beverly Hills, Ca.

Another interview with Mitch, should give the readers a better understanding of Mitch.

http://www.atomiclabrat.com/mac%20pa..._86[1].pdf

RIP Mitch, it was my privilege to have served under your command.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maj. Gen. Mitchell L. WerBell III-1981.jpg  

The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Great post and interesting read, Brownie. Thanks.
    gatorbait51, airslot, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Sponsor
    Welcome, Mitch certainly had a colorful career and wore many hats

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    gatorbait51, airslot and AzQkr like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Your picture reminds me of a lot of good guy warriors that I have known.
    Whenever I was introduced to them I would remind myself that this is someone who you do not want to piss off.
    PS I still have an old Brigade Quartermaster catalog floating around my attic.

Sponsor
    Here's a pic of me and the clients limo, on the last assignment in Beverly Hills. Just a young pup of 32 here and director of security for the mansion having stayed on a few more weeks after Mitch passed while setting up a new security force so I could get back to the mundane of catching BG's back east.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maj. Gen. Mitchell L. WerBell III-limo-me.jpg  

Maj. Gen. Mitchell L. WerBell III-limo2.jpg  

Very nice. Thanks for sharing....
    AzQkr and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

VIP Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I had a close friend who worked, part time, with Mitchell. Billy helped clean and maintain the training facilities in Powder Springs, Ga. Of course, this gave us opportunities for free range time. If Mitchell liked you, he was a very kind hearted person. If not, that's a different story as he became the cold professional who could cut your ego to ribbons with a few words. A bottle of good single malt scotch or some 5 dollar cigars were ways to get on his good side. On thing is for certain, If Mitchell gave advice, on a particular firearm of tactic, you could take it to the bank.

One time, Billy and I were discussing which weapon we would choose in case of a SHTF scenario. I chose a Stoner while Billy chose an M60. Mitchell came back with "You babes are nothing but "Sidewalk Commandos" and are idiots if you think you can carry those weapons for any distance. I will taka a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner. In less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else I need."

That's where my signature line came from. And yes, He could tell some stories.
    OD*, airslot, RickyD and 6 others like this.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other".
    John Adams, October 11, 1798

VIP Member
    Great post. I love reading about the personal relationships some of our members have had with people like this. Thanks for sharing!
    Georgia Carry
    NRA
    SAF

Sponsor
    Those pics with the limo were taken at 365 St. Cloud street, Bel Air East at the garage entrance off gate 3 of Larry Flynt's mansion. LCF7 on the plate, Larry Claxton Flynt 7. We had just returned from Federal Court, downtown LA where Larry was on trial. Each time the limo left the grounds, it was to be taken to be washed/waxed and cleaned inside. God forbid there was anything out of place or not picked up/cleaned in the limo the next time Althea got in to go somewhere.

That house was across the street from Johnny Carson, back of the mansion was Robert Stack, 2 doors down, Jerry Lewis, one up, the old Alfred Hitchcock estate.
    OD*, TSiWRX, WebleyHunter and 7 others like this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    I had a close friend who worked, part time, with Mitchell. Billy helped clean and maintain the training facilities in Powder Springs, Ga. Of course, this gave us opportunities for free range time. If Mitchell liked you, he was a very kind hearted person. If not, that's a different story as he became the cold professional who could cut your ego to ribbons with a few words. A bottle of good single malt scotch or some 5 dollar cigars were ways to get on his good side. On thing is for certain, If Mitchell gave advice, on a particular firearm of tactic, you could take it to the bank.

One time, Billy and I were discussing which weapon we would choose in case of a SHTF scenario. I chose a Stoner while Billy chose an M60. Mitchell came back with "You babes are nothing but "Sidewalk Commandos" and are idiots if you think you can carry those weapons for any distance. I will taka a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner. In less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else I need."

That's where my signature line came from. And yes, He could tell some stories.
    Thanks for sharing, yes, Mitch was not one to trifle with. Nice that you were privy to entering the grounds and checking the place out. Did he have the 3 guard dogs at the time you were visiting?
    airslot and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Per another members request in another recent thread-------------------

In the first 4-5 seconds of the above, WerBell is speaking from his den, the same den where this picture was taken of he and I just before 10 of us finished counter terr training at SIONICS in Powder Springs, Ga. in 81. Col Phelps, seen in the vid clip above was there during my stint at the school.

His son's owned Brigade Quartermasters back in those days, people may remember that supply chain. Not sure if they still do or not, it's been decades since then.

He's known for co developing the SIONICS suppressor along with Gordon Ingram, for his "military armament corp made [MAC ]10 he developed and demonstrated in the jungles of Vietnam.

An interview with Mitch in the same year I attended SIONICS here

ERINGER: THE COLUMNS: MITCHELL WERBELL: THE INTERVIEW

Like he mentions in the above interview, I just got lucky being accepted into their training and then afterward being asked to assist Mitch and his cadre of people on assignments OCONUS. No details of those assignments will make it to open forum here though. One of the unique skills we were given was through some secret squirrel doctor he brought in at SIONICS, who trained us on use of dart rifles used for euthanization.

https://army.togetherweserved.com/ar...rson&ID=331457

Mitch died in LA, Dec 01, 1983 while I was on an assignment for him in the mansion district of Beverly Hills, Ca.

Another interview with Mitch, should give the readers a better understanding of Mitch.

http://www.atomiclabrat.com/mac%20pa..._86[1].pdf

RIP Mitch, it was my privilege to have served under your command.
    My grandfather served with him in the OSS.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

VIP Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Thanks for sharing, yes, Mitch was not one to trifle with. Nice that you were privy to entering the grounds and checking the place out. Did he have the 3 guard dogs at the time you were visiting?
    I cant, rightly, say about the number of dogs. There was an old Shepherd dog, of some type, in one of the buildings and sounded like quite a few more locked up elsewhere. The 2 guard dogs that I remember were the ones walking about with Macs. They were of medium height, zero body fat, skin like leather and spoke with a heavy, South Af-rik-kan accent. Evidently my buddy, Billy and Mitchell went back a few years. I was around 30 at the time and Billy was my age. I can assure you, if it were not for Billy, the $2500 training fee would be my only way of gaining entrance. Common sense would dictate not asking stupid questions or making insinuations. Other than that, after a shot of Chevas or Glenlivit, he would start with the "First rule is survival" philosophy. Billy asked Mitchell, before the Macs, what was you favorite sub gun. Mitchell went into another room and brought out a suppressed Sten.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other".
    John Adams, October 11, 1798

VIP Member
    Wow look at that hair! Pretty cool throw back picture. You remind me of every plain cloths detective in every clint Eastwoot Dirty Harry Calahan movie.

Here's a pic of me and the clients limo, on the last assignment in Beverly Hills. Just a young pup of 32 here and director of security for the mansion having stayed on a few more weeks after Mitch passed while setting up a new security force so I could get back to the mundane of catching BG's back east.
    I have to ask, what gun(s) were you packing in this picture?

That limo in that time frame and setting puts me in mind of the end of 'Good Guys Wear Black'. The limo scenes...

Or Scarface.
    When the zombies come I'll carry carry my Colt .357 on an old Sam Browne belt like Rick Grimes Loaded with Black Talons!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links