Point shooting at 15 feet - Page 2

Point shooting at 15 feet

This is a discussion on Point shooting at 15 feet within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rjinga My only question would be, are you developing your muscle memory to shoot about a foot low on the average male ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Point shooting at 15 feet

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rjinga View Post
    My only question would be, are you developing your muscle memory to shoot about a foot low on the average male assailant? That would put your head shoots in the upper chest (which isn't necessarily bad). And then, when you add (subtract) that foot to the low center mass X on the B-27 target, are those shots ending up in the pelvic/crotch area (again, not necessarily bad)? Good shooting by the way.
    This was done with live ammunition on a static target. It was a test of my practice with the laser cartridge and picking random targets.
    My goal is to be proficient from any direction of approach or shooting position out to at least 15 yards. Which is what I am with the snub. I think that is what upset me the most. My first COM double tap was four inches below where I intended it to be. This from a square on standing position. I'm not where I want to be.

I'm going to keep working on it. With current events I've come to believe that the day where a five shot 38 being enough may be gone.
    Bandit99 and rjinga like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Good shooting. I would take that target any day. I practice with my handguns at about 10 yards and closer. Gets out to 25 yds or so, I am probably doing my best to vacate the situation
    AzQkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    Point shooting is not to get bullseyes(or you'd use the sights instead) normally just to get rounds on target ASAP which saves you aim time.. then if needed you would transition to sights ASAP when practical.. for getting rounds on target id say looks good . For the way I was taught at the Military School I went to thats good point shooting you did.
    For me, point shooting is about being able to hit my target at close range. I cannot see my front sight without reading glasses, and I believe it is very unlikely I will have them on should I suddenly find myself in a SD situation. My sight is good beyond about 5'. If only my arms were a little longer.
    AzQkr likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fallsrider View Post
    For me, point shooting is about being able to hit my target at close range. I cannot see my front sight without reading glasses, and I believe it is very unlikely I will have them on should I suddenly find myself in a SD situation. My sight is good beyond about 5'. If only my arms were a little longer.
    For the point shooting I was taught you dont use the sights at all not even the front. Your gun isnt even at sight level(eye level) when you shoot. its all from practice/training/muscle memory. but transition to them ASAP. So thats correct all your trying to do at a closer range is get your shots on target faster then the bad guy gets his on you.
    AzQkr likes this.

TS,

I think you're putting the rounds pretty much in the area where you want them to go, based on the targets shown. I'd not worry too much about the few errant rounds that are still on threat. If you can shoot where you're looking like these targets demonstrate, at the distances mentioned without use of sights, you're on the correct path for what you're trying to accomplish.

Good shooting sir, I don't see where many could argue with these results shown, even using the sights.
    jumperj, Mike1956 and TSKnight like this.

Distinguished Member Array Gaius's Avatar
    Ya did fine. Keep it up.
    CBennett likes this.
    --Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up." --Wyatt Earp

--If youíre carrying a gun for self-defense, donít practice like a target shooter. Practice like a gunfighter.

--Always be nice until it's time not to be nice.

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumperj View Post
    If SHTF and you need to defend yourself, doubtful you'd had time to use sights anyway
    What do you base this theory off of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post

My "theory" is based on, if someone is coming at me with a knife or attacking me at close range, it will probably be fractions of seconds to react..That to me is when SHTF. I'm not going to take the time to line up my sights to stop the threat. I'll be trying to get out of the way or firing until the threat has stopped. Agreed, If there's time to use sights, I will.
    I practice point shooting while moving at least weekly. Sometimes more. If I need to hit something that close without my sights, I believe I'm able to. Correct me if I'm wrong to think this way..

I don't practice any low hold and no sight point shooting more than a little practice at arm reach distance's . I do a different type shooting drills called Flash Sight Picture Shooting for around 24 years now and add some backing up and side stepping to move away from a BG . You might find you can shoot like in the video below out to 10 to 15 yards over time .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I don't practice any low hold and no sight point shooting more than a little practice at arm reach distance's . I do a different type shooting drills called Flash Sight Picture Shooting for around 24 years now and add some backing up and side stepping to move away from a BG . You might find you can shoot like in the video below out to 10 to 15 yards over time .
    Threat-focused shooting is easy to teach, easy to learn and very effective out to distances past those you have mentioned.

This target is a TDI silhouette. The gun used was a Glock 19 with front sight post removed. The numbers on each bullet hole indicate the distance from the target, with five quick rounds fired from distances of 10, 15, and 20 yards, not feet. I'm not sure why I had the one flyer.

Point shooting at 15 feet-glock-10-15-20-002.jpg
    TSKnight, jumperj and AzQkr like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.Ē― Friedrich Nietzsche

Distinguished Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post

Maybe you can, maybe you cannot.
    Who cares--just train for both.
    Mike1956, jumperj and AzQkr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    TS,

I think you're putting the rounds pretty much in the area where you want them to go, based on the targets shown. I'd not worry too much about the few errant rounds that are still on threat. If you can shoot where you're looking like these targets demonstrate, at the distances mentioned without use of sights, you're on the correct path for what you're trying to accomplish.

Good shooting sir, I don't see where many could argue with these results shown, even using the sights.
    Thanks,
    This was the best target of the day. The ten yard target looked like a shot gun from 30 yards.
    15 yards is not even close to adequate. In fact, I had one round clear the berm at 15 yards and never touched paper.
    I've got the fundamentals down. This pistol just points differently than the snub or the Blackhawk. I shot a P89DC for years, but never did much with point shooting, so didn't have a previous reference to start from.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Democracy:
    Freedom:

Distinguished Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Thanks,
    This was the best target of the day. The ten yard target looked like a shot gun from 30 yards.
    15 yards is not even close to adequate. In fact, I had one round clear the berm at 15 yards and never touched paper.
    I've got the fundamentals down. This pistol just points differently than the snub or the Blackhawk. I shot a P89DC for years, but never did much with point shooting, so didn't have a previous reference to start from.
    Hip shooting much past 6-10 feet is kind of contraindicated.
    Point shooting much past 7 yards is likewise not very practical from a self defense perspective.
    15 yards is for two handed shooting, be it aimed or point shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    Hip shooting much past 6-10 feet is kind of contraindicated.
    Point shooting much past 7 yards is likewise not very practical from a self defense perspective.
    15 yards is for two handed shooting, be it aimed or point shoulder.
    This ^^^^^^^^, it's just about where my decisions [ for distances ] to transitioning are.
    CBennett likes this.

Yep, I shift to point shoulder at 7 yards and beyond except I do most of my practice with one hand. The other hand is occupied with my cane.
    If I have the time, I'm going to use the sights. It just makes sense to me to take every advantage I can to come out on top.
    Democracy:
    Freedom:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links