To skip or not to skip Coffee the morning of my shooting test - Page 3

To skip or not to skip Coffee the morning of my shooting test

This is a discussion on To skip or not to skip Coffee the morning of my shooting test within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my test after drinking coffee all day.. And it was 13 degrees in the dead of winter. Talk about having the shakes.. Still ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: To skip or not to skip Coffee the morning of my shooting test

I took my test after drinking coffee all day.. And it was 13 degrees in the dead of winter. Talk about having the shakes.. Still passed with no worries... Congrats on passing yours.. Welcome to the club

Quote Originally Posted by marshallman View Post
    Well I skipped the coffee, and shot the test this afternoon. Hit all 50 shots, and passed the qualification for the enhanced endorsement!
    Congrats! That's awesome!
    Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen. - Jeff Cooper

I thought this was a test to determine, for you, if having coffee or skipping it would have any affect on your shooting. Would be an interesting experiment. Back to the regularly scheduled comments.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I always:

1. Make sure I have my coffee (maybe 2)
    2. Take my S&W 586 .357 6" barrel and shoot low powered sub sonic .38spl. wad cutter range ammo (680fps). (if you miss with that combo you are in trouble)

I want to hear more about the "enhanced" version of your carry permit. If you shoot "better" (score higher?) you're allowed to carry in situations/locales that lesser-skilled shooters are disqualified? IM(very)HO, it's not always about one's marksmanship. Sometimes, it's more about one's level-headedness and... sound judgement.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I would do what you do every morning.
    ma6907 likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Distinguished Member Array marshallman's Avatar
    In my State, we've got two levels of licensure. Basic and Enhanced Carry. The Basic carry does not require a range test, and allows you to carry in places that aren't prohibited by signage, but no government buildings, schools, etc... With the enhanced carry, as far as I understand it, the only three places that you can't carry are Federal buildings, Courtrooms when court is in session, and Police Stations, jails, etc. You are allowed to carry everywhere else, but if on private property if asked to leave, you must or face a trespassing charge. The enhanced course I took was 8 hours long and taught by Law Enforcement and had classroom instruction and a 50 round qualification. With mine there were strings of fire from the 3 and 7 yard line, including what he called the Stop drill which was 2 shots center mass and a head shot to the target, and 2 missed shots were a disqualification, but you were allowed a second try.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I want to hear more about the "enhanced" version of your carry permit. If you shoot "better" (score higher?) you're allowed to carry in situations/locales that lesser-skilled shooters are disqualified? IM(very)HO, it's not always about one's marksmanship. Sometimes, it's more about one's level-headedness and... sound judgement.
    "Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid."- John Wayne

Thanks for the clarification marshallman. The shooting part doesn't sound too complicated. Yet I'd wager the legalese to assemble the program put braces on several... lawyers' kid's teeth.
    marshallman likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My NRA class was 8 hours classroom and 2 hours range shooting 150 rounds. The USM course I got in college in the 1970's was 5 days. 4 days in the class room and 1 day on the US postal inspectors indoor range with their instructor. It covered everything.

follow your routine

Quote Originally Posted by jumperj View Post
    I took my test after drinking coffee all day.. And it was 13 degrees in the dead of winter. Talk about having the shakes.. Still passed with no worries... Congrats on passing yours.. Welcome to the club
    I am a physician. I have taken "tests" under nearly every conceivable scenario (including shooting). I would STRONGLY recommend that you follow your usual routine as much as possible. do NOT drink more caffeine on the morning of your test, and do not drink less.

Quote Originally Posted by ma6907 View Post
    I am a physician. I have taken "tests" under nearly every conceivable scenario (including shooting). I would STRONGLY recommend that you follow your usual routine as much as possible. do NOT drink more caffeine on the morning of your test, and do not drink less.
    My drinking coffee all day was no more then a thermos full spread throughout the day.. That's MY usual... And my doctor says I'm very fit for a young 58 year old. Maybe not the best for me. But better then drinking Mt Dew or some other carbonated, sugar filled drink all day. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by marshallman View Post
    It affects my state. It allows me to carry in places that the basic concealed carriers and the constitutional carriers cannot.
    So essentially I was right. It gives you extra privileges.

Funny how a right turned into a privilege.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I, personally, would skip the coffee because I don't (normally) drink coffee.
    A Starbucks foo-foo coffee 2-3 cups a year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array marshallman's Avatar
    My State treats non resident permits as the basic permit and will honor it, but will not allow you to have the enhanced endorsement.
    Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    Can non residents get the enhanced version? Looks like the reciprocity is much better with the enhanced permit. I realize that a non resident will NOT be accepted in Oregon unless you live in an adjoining state so don't let the map fool you. It assumes you live in Idaho.
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    "Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid."- John Wayne

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links