IDPA or USPSA - Page 3

IDPA or USPSA

This is a discussion on IDPA or USPSA within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [QUOTE=Spark456;5267298]I have went and watch a few IDPA matches, And none that I have went to was like this one check it out It's not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 39 of 39
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: IDPA or USPSA

  1. #31
    Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    1,503
    [QUOTE=Spark456;5267298]I have went and watch a few IDPA matches, And none that I have went to was like this one check it out


    It's not quite as elaborate as a National championship match but this is a video from the local club that I'm a member at. Summer months the matches are a little shorter because of the heat but fall through spring they can get pretty elaborate!

    Spark456 likes this.

  2. #32
    Member Array spiritfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    475
    I belong to USPSA mainly because Steel Challenge is part of USPSA. And Steel Challenge is my first try at competitive shooting with monthly matches at my club. Will probably give a USPSA Match a try down the road. Then maybe 3-Gun. Haven't really given any thought to IDPA at this time. Really enjoy Steel Challenge.
    Bob
    -------
    Retired USAF CMSgt (1971-2001)


  3. #33
    Member Array Cruel Hand Luke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    431
    I shoot IDPA for the more "real world" practice (like use of cover and shooting with gear concealed) but also largely because it is local to me. The closest USPSA club is 2 hours away. The closest IDPA club is 15-20 minutes. USPSA does not pretend to be "real"...it is a sport. IDPA tries to keep it a little more realistic but again...it is a sport.

    Both will help make you a better shooter but neither is "training". They are both simply a test of your skills under time and peer pressure. Neither will "get you killed in the street" like some people say (mostly said by people who have no first hand knowledge of either the street or competition) and it beats the heck out of spending a Saturday watching golf on TV....or arguing on the internet.
    Chuck R., darbo and Blue Thunder like this.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    IDPA Master class SSP, ESP, CDP, CCP, BUG

    TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NE, KS
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    With the latest IDPA rule book, there is even less difference between the two.
    Even with the new rules you managed to put on a very good stage yesterday!

    Just for the record, I don't mind the "fault lines", and I think the 4" Zero points down better replicates an ocular cavity shot, but am moderately ticked that my little SIG230 is no longer a BUG due to .1" of barrel.

    Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

  6. #35
    Senior Member Array raytracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Even with the new rules you managed to put on a very good stage yesterday!

    Just for the record, I don't mind the "fault lines", and I think the 4" Zero points down better replicates an ocular cavity shot, but am moderately ticked that my little SIG230 is no longer a BUG due to .1" of barrel.

    Chuck
    Thanks! It was great shooting with you again!

    I bought two guns specifically for the "new" divisions, per the rulebook: a Springfield RO Champion for CCP and a 3" GP100 for BUG. Both are not legal under the new rules. I haven't heard anything back from IDPA HQ about a "buyback" program to compensate those of us with orphaned guns...
    Chuck R. likes this.

  7. #36
    VIP Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NE, KS
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Thanks! It was great shooting with you again!

    I bought two guns specifically for the "new" divisions, per the rulebook: a Springfield RO Champion for CCP and a 3" GP100 for BUG. Both are not legal under the new rules. I haven't heard anything back from IDPA HQ about a "buyback" program to compensate those of us with orphaned guns...
    Same here!!

    "Technically", you can still shoot them but in a higher class, so I doubt you're going to get any compensation........besides had you not blabbed about your 4" hole saw "legacy" IDPA target modification trick, you probably could have patented the idea, then sold the rights to clubs with an abundance of old targets and made enough money for a couple new guns that met the division rules.......

    Which is why I don't buy anything for any specific division, unless of course it's some Wilson Combat form of a 1911, for some reason they always seem to fit in somewhere.........

    See ya next month, and say "hi! to the "other" Joe when you see him up north.

    Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

  8. #37
    Lead Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,964
    I just wish the IDPA would join modern times and create divisions for optical / unconventional sights and lasers.

    These have a legitimate place on defensive pistols nowadays, and the focus is supposed to be on defensive applications.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

    Learning to shoot again : Starting Over

  9. #38
    VIP Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NE, KS
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    I just wish the IDPA would join modern times and create divisions for optical / unconventional sights and lasers.

    These have a legitimate place on defensive pistols nowadays, and the focus is supposed to be on defensive applications.
    Matt,

    Talk to your match director, IAW the 2017 rule book:

    8.2.10 Specialty Divisions (SPD)
    A. IDPA encourages shooters to practice their gun handling skills with commonly carried firearms. Many everyday
    carry firearms do not fit into the 6 competition handgun divisions.
    B. IDPA allows clubs to add “Specialty Divisions” for scoring. This division allows cartridges smaller than 9 mm,
    carry optics, activated lasers, mounted lights, and other firearms which do not fit into the other competition
    divisions to participate in matches.
    C. All other IDPA equipment rules apply for holsters and loading device holders as well as their placement on the
    body. Match Directors also have the option to allow junior shooters with .22 rimfire firearms to begin strings at
    low ready in lieu of requiring a holster.
    D. All IDPA membership rules apply.
    E. Specialty Division classifications are based on the shooters highest classification of regular IPDA divisions.
    F. Clubs are not required to implement this provision, and Match Directors are allowed discretion with
    implementation so that match quality remains high.
    I imagine if you got a couple guys together with optics they'd try to accommodate. After all none of us is getting any younger........

    I'm hoping that locally we get to shoot PCCs in a few matches. ( Joe that's a hint)

    Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

  10. #39
    Member Array spiritfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruel Hand Luke View Post
    I shoot IDPA for the more "real world" practice (like use of cover and shooting with gear concealed) but also largely because it is local to me. The closest USPSA club is 2 hours away. The closest IDPA club is 15-20 minutes. USPSA does not pretend to be "real"...it is a sport. IDPA tries to keep it a little more realistic but again...it is a sport.

    Both will help make you a better shooter but neither is "training". They are both simply a test of your skills under time and peer pressure. Neither will "get you killed in the street" like some people say (mostly said by people who have no first hand knowledge of either the street or competition) and it beats the heck out of spending a Saturday watching golf on TV....or arguing on the internet.
    Very true. I have both IDPA and USPSA at my club. So far I've only done Steel Challenge. But as you said, whatever the spin it is a sport with little real world application. But fun and worth the effort and it certainly can improve your accuracy.
    Chuck R. likes this.
    Bob
    -------
    Retired USAF CMSgt (1971-2001)


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •