How to create a distraction during armed robbery? - Page 4

How to create a distraction during armed robbery?

This is a discussion on How to create a distraction during armed robbery? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Your shoes are untied" Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: How to create a distraction during armed robbery?

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    "Your shoes are untied"

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    OD* and graydude like this.

If I didn't think that I could defend myself with the gun I wouldn't be carry it.

In EVERY scenario?

IMO, far too many people think all they need is a gun and they can solve every problem by being guncentric.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    If I didn't think that I could defend myself with the gun I wouldn't be carry it.

In EVERY scenario?

IMO, far too many people think all they need is a gun and they can solve every problem by being guncentric.
    That, combined with Dunning-Kruger is a recipe for disaster.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.― Friedrich Nietzsche

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar

In EVERY scenario?

Yes! and some people think that they are the only ones who know anything about guns or anything else. I read a bunch of your lame replies further up the page so you really don't impress me a lot with your B.S either. You don't impress me with your stupid vocabulary or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Yes! and some people think that they are the only ones who know anything about guns or anything else. I read a bunch of your lame replies further up the page so you really don't impress me a lot with your B.S either. You don't impress me with your stupid vocabulary or anything else.
    Opinions vary,
    molleur likes this.

I was driving down a parking lot going to the car wash, when a BIG tricked out big-wheel Jeep (like the Bigfoot Truck) came around the corner of the lot and started toward me. I was about 200 yards from them. Then the guy gunned it and his wheels wobbled. He was racing another guy in such a giant-tired truck from Home Depot to the intersection. But when he gunned it the tires wobbled and it looked like he was about to 'roll it' and it would have rolled into me. I did NOTHING. Just stared at it.

Now, had I been ALONE, i'd have done a quick right angle or just veered through the parking spaces which were pretty clear but I had the girl-friend in the car and she'd have started screaming like a banshee.

But it would have been a real 'death-event' for me/us.

If I'd had a dash-cam, I'd have gone to the cops.

The key here is that there are times when all the tactical know-how evades you. If it's not internal 'roadblocking', or cultural blocking, or situational blocking it's 'deer-in-the-headlights' time, it's something else you could not have anticipated (maybe a little kid standing in the way).

All those who think they'll 'Bruce Lee' the BG, and there are some who might be able to pull it off half the time, the others might be deluding themselves. I'll tell you this. If you're over THIRTY years old, forget it. You are slow as molasses and just don't know it. In fact I'll say over 25. That's when the synapses start degrading.

The truth is, you're ambushed and 95% of the time you die. The other 5% you think you died but miraculous things happened. So posting videos about 'planning' might work for a tiny, tiny fraction, even a tiny fraction of those with Usain Bolt reflexes.

The 'way' is to not be there. The 'way' is to gain time, distance and cover.

...and of course, always wear tactical 'anti-girlfriend-shrieking' ear plugs 24/7.
    molleur, Sportymonk and 9MMare like this.

If some nervous junky is standing there with a gun in my face, I don't think it would wise to make any quick moves. Unless he gives me some indication that he plans on killing witnesses, I'm just going to give him my wallet and be a good witness. Most bad guys just want the money and don't want to risk a first degree murder conviction for $100. If they have any experience at all, they're not going to get within arms length.
    Sportymonk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    If this were a forum about home security I would be making comments about home security. But somebody would think that my only means of protection would be security systems. So if I give my opinion on here about how I feel about carrying a gun then I would think that it would be respected for what it is. Take it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    If some nervous junky is standing there with a gun in my face, I don't think it would wise to make any quick moves. Unless he gives me some indication that he plans on killing witnesses, I'm just going to give him my wallet and be a good witness. Most bad guys just want the money and don't want to risk a first degree murder conviction for $100. If they have any experience at all, they're not going to get within arms length.
    Though I respect your comments, Rhino, I don't think any of us know what the modern BG wants. The makers of oxy and meth have taken care of that paradigm. BGs do not fear consequences. Recidivism rates show that punishment is not a deterrent. The true NPD, Psychopathic criminal does not believe they will ever get caught. Those with 'NPD-tendencies' are cowards and just talk big. Too bad they don't come with labels.

The key is to have some skill, to have some experience, to work internal and external training and then you will have at least some hope. It's not in the intricate specifics, it's in the broad sweeping things. 'SD advice' that does not work for your 18 year old daughter is worthless' (the 'first be Bruce Lee' conundrum).

FWIW.
    AzQkr, Mike1956 and molleur like this.

I'm in more danger letting the nervous junkie muzzle me [ due to the very real possibility it goes off unintentionally ] than taking it from him if it's within reach. As BBob mentioned, it requires very good hand speed and coordination. The more of both, the better.

Others would likely be in more danger attempting to take it from the nervous junkie.
    Mike1956 and molleur like this.

Senior Member Array firefighterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post

The truth is, you're ambushed and 95% of the time you die. The other 5% you think you died but miraculous things happened. :
    Any proof/links/data to back this statement up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Which replies are you referring to?
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Though I respect your comments, Rhino, I don't think any of us know what the modern BG wants. The makers of oxy and meth have taken care of that paradigm. BGs do not fear consequences. Recidivism rates show that punishment is not a deterrent. The true NPD, Psychopathic criminal does not believe they will ever get caught. Those with 'NPD-tendencies' are cowards and just talk big. Too bad they don't come with labels.

The key is to have some skill, to have some experience, to work internal and external training and then you will have at least some hope. It's not in the intricate specifics, it's in the broad sweeping things. 'SD advice' that does not work for your 18 year old daughter is worthless' (the 'first be Bruce Lee' conundrum).

FWIW.
    I've had some training in disarming someone, but it's been many years since I practiced.

As I said, you have to assess each situation. If the guy appears to be unstable and if he's within reach, you might be able to disarm him. It's worth a try if you think you're going to get shot anyway.

I watched forensic show yesterday where a bad guy walked into a convenience store at 4:00 a.m. and robbed it. The clerk cooperated and didn't look directly at him during the robbery. When she got the $450 from the cash register and handed it to him, he took a step back and shot her in the head and killed her. He almost got away with it until they matched his weapon to one used in an earlier robbery.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

I've had some training in disarming someone, but it's been many years since I practiced.

As I said, you have to assess each situation. If the guy appears to be unstable and if he's within reach, you might be able to disarm him. It's worth a try if you think you're going to get shot anyway.

I watched forensic show yesterday where a bad guy walked into a convenience store at 4:00 a.m. and robbed it. The clerk cooperated and didn't look directly at him during the robbery. When she got the $450 from the cash register and handed it to him, he took a step back and shot her in the head and killed her. He almost got away with it until they matched his weapon to one used in an earlier robbery.
    That's the nightmare we face, if we relent to their demands and don't take charge of our own destinies.
    molleur likes this.

a lot of times they hold the gun in retention and use their other hand to grab loot, pat you down, and keep you at distance.

Please explain how, if one is patting you down, in anyone's imagination, they are "at distance"? Unless you mean touching distance. Touching distance is inner circle, enter mine at your own risks if you are threatening my life in any way.
    There is a good 3 feet of distance between sticking your gun out in your strong hand vs using your off-hand and keeping the gun tucked in by your ribs. If you've ever done any boxing or had any kind of martial arts training, you should realize that's quite a big difference.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links