How to create a distraction during armed robbery? - Page 7

How to create a distraction during armed robbery?

This is a discussion on How to create a distraction during armed robbery? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this off duty cop distracted robbers by handing them his wallet. and then some....

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: How to create a distraction during armed robbery?

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    this off duty cop distracted robbers by handing them his wallet. and then some.

Sponsor
    This was just in training exercises and may just get me shoot faster but I have acted as tho I am deaf and dint understand what was going on in an attempt to draw the bg in closer for a disarm.
    It has worked well in training as it seems the bg wants to be sure I see the gun and that he means business (brings him and the gun closer to me) I disarm them.

My not work worth a thing in the real world as it may just get me shot faster. This has been in training with actors not real bad guys, all of them has said they feel a need to be sure I see the gun when I acted confused and deaf and is what drew them closer. They was demanding my money, wallet or what ever in a robbery type thing.
    Again not real bad guys so I dont know.
    AzQkr and molleur like this.

clutch my chest and fall down
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Well, I realize that there ARE criminal masterminds ('cuz I watch Blacklist) . Yet viewing the news and reading some of the featured threads here at DC, I'm confident that we're smarter than...MOST of 'em!
    Predators are not stupid and they pick the time, place, and method. They have most of the advantages.

If that is how they survive...no, I dont necessarily think they are stupid at all. Not at what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    Any proof/links/data to back this statement up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I find it a very solid statement. For civilians, cops, soldiers.

The predator picks the time and place to their advantage.

Not sure how to overcome an attack you dont see or hear until it happens....that's why we rely on...primarily IMO...situational awareness as THE best preventative, period.
    molleur and Rock and Glock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    Well, I agree with Brownie's statement. Reaction times also slow with age, this must be accounted for. Training to disarm, and PRACTICE if so inclined.
    Distractions and opportunities are very dynamic. No one has yet mentioned moving off the line during the distraction. May be handy. Remember, dynamic situation!
    The safest way is not the same for everyone. Real experience may change your mindset.
    Moving is my number one 'go-to' and I do practice it and I'm fairly confident I will be able to do so. What I hear in my head, is "MOVE!"
    molleur likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougb View Post
    Pull your wallet from its' pocket slowly. Using the other hand, slowly remove the cash and drop it on the ground (cash, not wallet). Turn and run, yelling "FIRE" or "RAPE" or anything you think will draw a crowd. Yelling "GUN" probably wont help.

You are covered. Any move you make is a risk. The BG wants the money, it's on the ground, and the wind is moving it away. Get distance and use your phone.

I watched Rowdy on Raw Hide I think it was explain how you can draw and kill a man in the blink of an eye. You both read the script first, and edit the film.

A lot of these thugs will have age or weight or strength on you, and a lot of them grow up fighting every day. Some are even trained combat veterans. Unless you train and practice a lot, and are good, just give up the money. It's cheaper than the trip to the emergency room.
    If I was mugging you, I'd be so pissed at your disrespectful (in their eyes) actions that I'd shoot you and then pick up my money. It will only take one more second. Or crack my gun down on the back of your head when you turned to go....quieter.
    Mike1956 and AzQkr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    10:00PM, Walmart parking lot.
    Well there's yer first mistake.
    molleur likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Predators are not stupid and they pick the time, place, and method. They have most of the advantages.

If that is how they survive...no, I dont necessarily think they are stupid at all. Not at what they're doing.
    Maybe it's geographic? You're criminals are smarter than...my criminals,
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post

As with all things in life, there will be idiots and there'll be others who aren't going to fall for a distraction.
    Rock and Glock and molleur like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    As with all things in life, there will be idiots and there'll be others who aren't going to fall for a distraction.
    And I'm not going in overconfident and underestimating them.
    AzQkr and molleur like this.

act like a liberal that just shot a gun and imedently got a case of ptsd. and drop to the floor in a fetal shape, screaming like a baby girl.

Distinguished Member Array Gaius's Avatar
    i liked the story about Wild Bill Hickok who, when the bad guy had the drop on him, Wild Bill looked past the bad guy and said, "Hey! Don't shoot that man in the back!" at which time the BG turned to see who was there and Bill drew, fired and killed him. Or so goes the story.
    CommonCents likes this.
    --Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up." --Wyatt Earp

--If you’re carrying a gun for self-defense, don’t practice like a target shooter. Practice like a gunfighter.

--Always be nice until it's time not to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The distraction is, now you have it, now you don't. Blink and it's no longer yours.

OOOk ,,, I probably wouldn't try this.... .... Ummm no. If your opponent has any clue of how to use a snub, or any revolver, none of this will work. I may be straying from the gist of the thread... But if your getting robbed, you may just want to give up the cash and coat. The trick to self defense is IMO to not get into the situation, and/or be prepared for the event.
    AzQkr likes this.

A blinding flash of light works in any scenario day or night, but how to incorporate it at a moments notice is a key question. I've been blinded by the sudden flash of light from a flash camera. You'd have the upper hand for what, a good 30 seconds?
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links