How to create a distraction during armed robbery? - Page 8

How to create a distraction during armed robbery?

This is a discussion on How to create a distraction during armed robbery? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by searx A blinding flash of light works in any scenario day or night, but how to incorporate it at a moments notice ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: How to create a distraction during armed robbery?

Quote Originally Posted by searx View Post
    A blinding flash of light works in any scenario day or night, but how to incorporate it at a moments notice is a key question. I've been blinded by the sudden flash of light from a flash camera. You'd have the upper hand for what, a good 30 seconds?
    Exactly, I like the HI handheld lights, but I don't walk around with one in my hand. Great options when they can be used, but at the point of a muzzle while being robbed? I won't be thinking about the light that would work if it were in my hand, as it's not.
    molleur likes this.

I'm kind of surprised more LEO'S don't use that approach when they are telling the guy to drop his weapon, just point and FLASH!
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

I'm kind of surprised more LEO'S don't use that approach when they are telling the guy to drop his weapon, just point and FLASH!
    From the last few posts...are we sure it's an advantage to shine that light? The criminal has no concerns about backstop or bystanders...how do we know they wont just shoot anyway?

I know that I'd feel very threatened if someone blinded me and left me partially or totally defenseless.

Even moving might not be enough to do it safely if they decide to "pray and spray."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Does anyone but me remember the Kodak "Magic Cube"? It was a small, disposable, self-powered, four-shot, flash for the Kodak Instamatic camera. In later travels in Central & South America, I discovered them still popular among "professional" kidnappers to temporarily blind the victim to make subsequent perp identification more difficult. Saddest part? The LEOs were usually...the KIDNAPPERS!
    AzQkr and molleur like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Lets pretend: Flash goes off bad guy blinks tries to shake it off 2 seconds have passed that's 2 seconds to draw your weapon 3rd second you are on target bad guy starts to shoot he might get one wild shot off but by that time its been 4 seconds and you've placed a round on the bulls eye.

Just thinkin
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

Lets pretend: Flash goes off bad guy blinks tries to shake it off 2 seconds have passed that's 2 seconds to draw your weapon 3rd second you are on target bad guy starts to shoot he might get one wild shot off but by that time its been 4 seconds and you've placed a round on the bulls eye.

Just thinkin
    3 seconds to first shot? 2 seconds to first shot? Too slow in about any scenario one cares to come up with where the threat of death is imminent.
    molleur likes this.

i guess that's when having the right holster comes into play, might shave off a second, as well as having the right mind set, don't forget the blind guy can't see and I'm only pretending at this point.

― Jim Elliot

Just thinkin
    2 seconds! Wow, 2 seconds is a very long time. Lots of damage can be done that fast. Just look at the Tueller drill.

If they have a firearm within reach, they can draw and start firing quickly. Dont people here practice that all the time?

At least most cops would already have their guns out...most civilians walking thru a parking lot, etc? No.
    Sportymonk likes this.

Any distraction that buys me so much as an eye-blink, is an eye-blink's time that I might not otherwise...HAVE. I'll TAKE it!
    Sportymonk likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    A "flashed" armed BG would probably start firing at you as soon as he was flashed, no thanks!
    9MMare and AzQkr like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I never (even) suggested attempting ANY distraction and then just...standing there waiting for something to happen next.

The whole concept of "distraction" (if I understand it properly) is an effort to create an attention-breaking diversion in immediate preparation for doing something ELSE!

Senior Moderator
    I still think it is a very bad idea.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

All of my life I've never seen this one fail: look up at something, it can even get comical if you keep looking up.

― Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy42 View Post
    How bout if I poop my pants? I bet the stink would distract them
    Would that be considered an "unintentional discharge"?
    Sportymonk likes this.

I'm going to distract him with the flaming flash of my new .357 magnum snubby roaring out of my coat pocket towards him.

It will give him pause...one way or another.

He should be blind and deaf, if not dead, shortly.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links