Trade off between speed of presentation and ammo capacity

This is a discussion on Trade off between speed of presentation and ammo capacity within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where speed of presentation=what and where it's carried Thoughts?...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Trade off between speed of presentation and ammo capacity

Where speed of presentation=what and where it's carried

Thoughts?
    forester58 likes this.

I don't think it gets much faster than appendix carry. For me of late that happens with a 9mm XDS but is possible with various other guns as well.

Well, I have carried a snub AIWB or in a jacket pocket and it would be hard to get faster, at least for this old guy. This has been debated by myself for years. I have tried lots of carry modes with various guns like most here and still think that shrouded hammer snub is hard to beat for speed of bullets on target. Does the speed matter? Well, it can't hurt. Quicker to grab that grip shape as well I think.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I don't think it gets much faster than appendix carry. For me of late that happens with a 9mm XDS but is possible with various other guns as well.
    But do you believe it's more important than number of rounds in the gun?

Deleted my first post because somehow I misinterpreted your post when I read it the first time. I agree that appendix is the fastest, however I have trouble carrying that way depending on what Im wearing.
    AzQkr and baren like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I don't see it as either or so much but to answer the question, for an average guy like me it probably has the edge in importance over capacity. If someone puts holes in my head before I can get my hi cap Glock into service I'm dead as 6 pounds of dead flounder.
    AzQkr, G-man*, forester58 and 1 others like this.

I lean towards it being more important, simply because having say, 16 rounds instead of 7 doesnt matter if Im unable to put rounds on target quickly enough.
    AzQkr, BuckJM53 and BBMike like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Personally I don't think the average bad guy takes into consideration what particular weapon has what capacity.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy42 View Post
    Personally I don't think the average bad guy takes into consideration what particular weapon has what capacity.
    We're not interested in what BG/s think, we're interested in what ccw'er who carry concealed believe, where trade offs are discussed between speed of presentation and ammo capacity

That was fast!

IMHO, it's a far more important consideration than capacity or caliber, and even more so for civilian CC'ers than for police. If I ever have to shoot someone out in public, it will only happen because I'm reacting to a lethal threat that they're already presenting. I'm necessarily behind the curve, and would need to catch up.

Since the goal is not to kill the attacker, but rather to avoid receiving a grievous wound myself, I'd suggest that it's better to carry whatever one can draw and hit with the most quickly, even if it's low capacity or small caliber. It's said that a hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .45. I'd also say that a hit with a .22 a quarter-second before getting shot, beats a hit with a .45 a quarter-second after, even if that's followed by 12 more hits with a .45.
    wmhawth, AzQkr, molleur and 8 others like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    It seems to me, that if you don't get your first rounds on target quickly enough, you may not get any rounds on target.
    AzQkr, molleur, G26Raven and 9 others like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    That was fast!

IMHO, it's a far more important consideration than capacity or caliber, and even more so for civilian CC'ers than for police. If I ever have to shoot someone out in public, it will only happen because I'm reacting to a lethal threat that they're already presenting. I'm necessarily behind the curve, and would need to catch up.

Since the goal is not to kill the attacker, but rather to avoid receiving a grievous wound myself, I'd suggest that it's better to carry whatever one can draw and hit with the most quickly, even if it's low capacity or small caliber. It's said that a hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .45. I'd also say that a hit with a .22 a quarter-second before getting shot, beats a hit with a .45 a quarter-second after, even if that's followed by 12 more hits with a .45.
    Exactly why I've got the NAA PUG 22mag "palmed" when moving through parking lots.

More & more I find the simplicity of having my LCP in my pocket the only "MUST".

I carry a 24/7 Pro C 45 acp (w11 rounds), AIWB as my primary. But truth be told, whenever I'm out and about in public I find keeping my hand resting in my pocket on the grip of the LCP is my "natural" state of being.

I think firearm in which you can continue looking/acting "natural" is one of the keys to a faster/smoother presentation. (Fast is smooth/Smooth is fast)

I believe round capacity is a secondary consideration for the most part because: It doesn't matter if you carry 5 rounds or 15 rounds if you can't be smooth, quick and accurate getting rounds on "YOUR" target before the BG gets rounds on HIS. Being able to get two rounds of 380 from your pocket pistol into the BG first is better than carrying 20 rounds of anything else that you can't get on target before a BG shoots you.

-
    AzQkr, G-man*, Bolt_308 and 2 others like this.

I'm with everybody else, if you can't hit what you're aiming at then it doesn't matter if you have Jerry Miculek-like speed or even have a boatload of bullets on you. However, to actually answer the question, I believe that getting the gun out fast is more important than round count. If I can get to the J-Frame in my pocket quicker than I can get to my Glock work cross-draw on my side, then the J-Frame is more likely to get me home safe tonight should something go wrong.

No. What matters is that I have a gun with me! DR
    Dave909 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links