Okay, Now What? - Page 2

Okay, Now What?

This is a discussion on Okay, Now What? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dont ever feel intimidated. If a trainer makes you feel like that then he's the wrong choice anyways. The good ones simply want to take ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Okay, Now What?

Dont ever feel intimidated. If a trainer makes you feel like that then he's the wrong choice anyways. The good ones simply want to take what shows up and have them leave as better shooters more able to defend themselves and their familys. Use some vacation time and take a 2 or 3 day course and then build on it. Training is a life long commitment. You do what you can and what you can afford.
    msgt/ret, maxwell97 and Cpt_Quail like this.
    A Man's house is his castle

Often my vacation time is spent on a range or in a class. I too am in sales, I'll pick up a class here and there at the local range after work, every few months when they have someone interesting coming through.

I've even trained with GMan, (member here), you'll find plenty of reference material and knowledge right here, as we have several accomplished trainers who are members; some even operate in your area.
    Kinzei and Cpt_Quail like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt_Quail View Post
    Something along those lines of that, a book coupled with instructional videos, sounds like a perfect start. I'm gonna go ahead and check out that material along with seeing what else is out there. I want to get started as soon as I can.

That form of training coupled with 1-on-1 application with some instructors would be perfect. I've already looked at a few local guys down here and they seem really promising.

Thanks @jackrock , and good luck out there. Like the signature!
    If you're looking for a book, IMHO this one is very good to start with. Massad Ayoob is a well-respected trainer and covers a lot in one book.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/p/gun-d...clickid=3x3038
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I can only offer what I decided to do when I first began carrying.

I wanted qualified instruction about the use of force laws and carriage/possession of weapons in my State
    I wanted to get a very firm grasp of basic gun handling, safe operation, care and storage of my weapon
    I wanted to receive competent tactical instruction where I could learn armed fighting techniques, ground fighting, weapon retention and armed force on force.

Take your time and enjoy the process. The hard part is already behind you, all the rest is just cake. How much cake is only limited by time and money
    Cpt_Quail likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Quote Originally Posted by jackrock View Post
    Cpt_Quail,

That book I was telling you about, turns out he's just extended the 71% off deadline through tonight, due to some technical difficulties on his end. If interested, you get all three of his Defensive books (training, drills and logbook), plus access to a bunch of videos. Head here to check it out.

(No, I'm not affiliated with Mike Seeklander, Shooting-performance.com, or his podcast in any way - except as a customer and a listener. I doubt the guy even knows I exist. :) )
    I'm just now getting done with work so I was lucky enough to miss that MASSIVE discount, but that doesn't at all dissuade me from buying into it anyways!
    "Now, we must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most and that is the indifference of good men!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kinzei View Post
    You can practice drawing from concealment, focusing on your front sight and target acquisition, and magazine changes without ever leaving your house. It's no substitute for actual live fire training and recoil mitigation, but it's an invaluable training tool. I would look to the local gun ranges in the area and see what type of fundamental classes are offered. At the very least, it may allow you to draw and fire from concealment. I would also look to see if any ranges in your area host guest instructors. A lot of the reputable, big name industry instructors travel to teach.
    I'm only able to get through all of the comments right now, but I had seen that someone else mentioning reputable instructors coming out to the range for some one-on-one and you better believe I'll take advantage of it. I also just did a few drawing from concealment drills and I think i figured out why some are not fans of the finger grooves on Gen 3/Gen 4 Glocks. I love my 19, but I found it difficult to rapidly get a steady grip, to their credit this is my first time practicing that maneuver.

Hope you and your family are safe, @Kinzei . Texas has been in my prayers.
    Kinzei likes this.
    "Now, we must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most and that is the indifference of good men!"

Quote Originally Posted by BackcountryGuy View Post
    Practice practice and practice. Do dry fire practice, lots of it. Preferably find a room as far away from your wife as possible, because the click from you pulling the trigger and the sound of the slide constantly racking will drive her nuts! Put on your belt, holster, and g19. Make damn sure you do not have ANY live ammo anywhere near you. Now draw and fire. I prefer to have a TV in front of me to have a moving target to aim at and fire. Rack the slide and reholster.

Go slow for quite a while, and often, to perfect your muscle memory to keep your finger OUT of the trigger guard until you are driving the pistol out and away from your body. Once you feel confident, find a range or a country road and practice with live ammo. Again, make sure you go slow so you don't accidentally do something stupid. And when you reholster. Go extra damn slow and watch it as you reholster. There's no reason why anyone needs to reholster as fast as they possibly can. That is when mistakes are most likely to happen.
    I just ran through that drill a few times here in the guest room. It's about 1:56AM over here so my wife had the luxury of sleeping through my practice so far haha. That's really good advice for focusing on a moving target and will certainly do that (with my blinds closed because of my apartment complex).

I will ABSOLUTELY take my ever loving time re-holstering when drilling with live ammo. The last thing I want is to pop one off while carrying appendix.
    matthew03 and BackcountryGuy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Often my vacation time is spent on a range or in a class. I too am in sales, I'll pick up a class here and there at the local range after work, every few months when they have someone interesting coming through.

I've even trained with GMan, (member here), you'll find plenty of reference material and knowledge right here, as we have several accomplished trainers who are members; some even operate in your area.
    I've seen a few of GMan's posts and comments around here already! Man, I'd love to put in some range time with a few on this forum. I'm thankful for the wealth of knowledge and experience on here as well.

Sales is quite the job, I'm getting off now and will be back in the office around 6. "Always be closing" doesn't have time restraints.
    matthew03 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    If you're looking for a book, IMHO this one is very good to start with. Massad Ayoob is a well-respected trainer and covers a lot in one book.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/p/gun-d...clickid=3x3038

I saw this post a little earlier but didn't have time to check the book out before getting off of work.

I've seen Massad Ayoob's name being thrown around here and there on the forum, and for 4 bucks I don't think I could go wrong. *Adds to cart*
    Last edited by Cpt_Quail; August 31st, 2017 at 10:55 AM.
    maxwell97 likes this.

@Fizban those are pretty wise footsteps to follow in for someone like myself just getting started, thank you for sharing!

As for the cake...well, I really love cake. I think I might put a little bit of extra money away for dessert here and there.

I saw this post a little earlier but didn't have time to check the book out before getting off of work.

I've seen Massad Akoob's name being thrown around here and there on the forum, and for 4 bucks I don't think I could go wrong. *Adds to cart*
    I didn't see that - only four bucks? I hope I didn't link the wrong thing, the paper version is usually like $20. If I did, I apologize.

The title is Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

@maxwell97 , I believe it was a used paperback version! I actually read the reviews regarding the B&N used book sales and decided it might be a little quicker to go the Amazon route.
    maxwell97 likes this.

Somebody brought up Ayoob. There's another book I highly recommend. Here's my review of Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense. It has almost nothing to do with gunfighting, but everything to do with the legal fight after the shoot. Fantastic information in there for civilian concealed and open carriers.
    JackRock
    https://www.ryancash.co
    My EDC: PPQ M2 9mm in a Long's Shadow Antero IWB Holster, A custom mag/Leatherman/Flashlight carrier, and a folding knife. Also, my cell phone, and some fully-functional gray matter between my ears.

I'm just now getting done with work so I was lucky enough to miss that MASSIVE discount, but that doesn't at all dissuade me from buying into it anyways!
    DANGIT!! Glad to hear you'll still get it.
    JackRock
    https://www.ryancash.co
    My EDC: PPQ M2 9mm in a Long's Shadow Antero IWB Holster, A custom mag/Leatherman/Flashlight carrier, and a folding knife. Also, my cell phone, and some fully-functional gray matter between my ears.

I just ran through that drill a few times here in the guest room. It's about 1:56AM over here so my wife had the luxury of sleeping through my practice so far haha. That's really good advice for focusing on a moving target and will certainly do that (with my blinds closed because of my apartment complex).

I will ABSOLUTELY take my ever loving time re-holstering when drilling with live ammo. The last thing I want is to pop one off while carrying appendix.
    While we ensure the gun is empty prior to dry fire drills always drill like it's real ammo. The way you practice is the way you perform under stress.

Another tip, don't use random objects as targets. Pick one room, garage etc. to be used as a training dry fire room. If at all possible aim, (dry fire) in a safe direction.

Also get a large piece of cardboard, put a target on it. This is the only object you will train, dry fire at.

The concept here is to clearly define a practice area, target, and conditions where you will draw and fire your weapon. If you practice in any and all rooms aiming randomly at various household items, TV, etc and pulling the trigger this activity then becomes normal. This could set up a scenario where you draw your loaded weapon aim at random item and fire reflexively / negligently just like you have been practicing.

I hope I have explained this well.
    Cpt_Quail likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links