Okay, Now What? - Page 3

Okay, Now What?

This is a discussion on Okay, Now What? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You mentioned church, I have actually started going to a new church because I like shooting with their Mens group. They alternate between Target shooting, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Okay, Now What?

You mentioned church, I have actually started going to a new church because I like shooting with their Mens group. They alternate between Target shooting, Trap, CCW, and SD. They bring in instructors, And I have yet to not learn something new! DR

Quote Originally Posted by NewSam View Post
    Another tip, don't use random objects as targets. Pick one room, garage etc. to be used as a training dry fire room. If at all possible aim, (dry fire) in a safe direction.

Also get a large piece of cardboard, put a target on it. This is the only object you will train, dry fire at.
    This is the target I use. It's scaled for an 8" circle at various ranges. If you stand four yards from the target, the #7 circle represents an 8" circle at seven yards. The #10 circle represents an 8" circle at 10 yards and so forth.
    JackRock
    https://www.ryancash.co
    My EDC: PPQ M2 9mm in a Long's Shadow Antero IWB Holster, A custom mag/Leatherman/Flashlight carrier, and a folding knife. Also, my cell phone, and some fully-functional gray matter between my ears.

Now you accumulate more guns like the rest of us.
    Cpt_Quail likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    You mentioned church, I have actually started going to a new church because I like shooting with their Mens group. They alternate between Target shooting, Trap, CCW, and SD. They bring in instructors, And I have yet to not learn something new! DR
    That's pretty darn awesome! I love shooting/hunting with the guys down at my church.

Those that CC and practice regularly (ladies included) comprise our security team during services. We have active shooter every so often, and constantly have our skills checked/maintained by the LEOs that are a part of the team! Definitely love the environment my church family provides.
    dangerranger likes this.
    "Now, we must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most and that is the indifference of good men!"

Quote Originally Posted by jackrock View Post
    This is the target I use. It's scaled for an 8" circle at various ranges. If you stand four yards from the target, the #7 circle represents an 8" circle at seven yards. The #10 circle represents an 8" circle at 10 yards and so forth.
    Wow! thanks Jack. That's pretty cool that it's provided for free like that. Being a part of this forum has been really great, and I'm grateful for all the help I've gotten.
    jackrock likes this.
    "Now, we must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most and that is the indifference of good men!"

@NewSam , you absolutely did. I've got a decent amount of cardboard from my recent move. I think I'll set up something this weekend and continue that training regimen in a safe, controlled environment where I can develop effective habits/responses.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Now you accumulate more guns like the rest of us.
    I've got a few so far, and I'm only growing my list of what I want.

Please send help while there's still time for me.

Distinguished Member Array BkCo1's Avatar
    Just go to a range and put some rounds down range. That is a good starting point to learn how to load and empty the gun. You learn how the gun handles then you get to take it apart and clean it. Learn to hit the target then advance at your speed. I dare say most of us here started with baby steps. Not becoming fighters out of the gate.
    Cpt_Quail likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt_Quail View Post
    That's pretty darn awesome! I love shooting/hunting with the guys down at my church.

Those that CC and practice regularly (ladies included) comprise our security team during services. We have active shooter every so often, and constantly have our skills checked/maintained by the LEOs that are a part of the team! Definitely love the environment my church family provides.
    Thats about the best idea Ive heard in awhile. Your way ahead of the pack already if your thinking along these lines.
    Cpt_Quail likes this.
    A Man's house is his castle

I think it's very wise to have formal instruction. There are a lot of people out there that have defended and will defend their lives without a single other person training them, but you're never going to be harmed by having someone there watching you and looking out for mistakes to correct and tweaks to make that you would never even think of. Train for every day situations first, IMHO, and then if you want to, train for the less common things as your skill gets better and time goes on. Don't complicate things yet, have someone help you with the fundamentals of shooting first and foremost. Once you have that down, then start getting into scenarios. You can't prepare for an armed robber if you have the mental skills down but can't hit the broad side of a barn.
    Cpt_Quail likes this.

Okay, Now What?

Time to get another Glock 19!
    Cpt_Quail likes this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

I've been seeing IDPA stuff the more I look into supplemental training resources. It seems pretty intense, but something I want to attend and even get into.
    Start by going to the IDPA website and read up on the organization, what they're trying to accomplish and the rules. Then, if I were you, I would try to go to at least a couple, if not three, IDPA matches hosted by different people. The reason I say this is that some match hosts stick closer to the intent of IDPA than others. Also, some hosts will have nights that are oriented more to new shooters and others that are more complex. Ask when they might be holding qualifiers and matches for newcomers. If I ever went to a match where a stage had you shooting at 6-10 people, I would move on to another club because, IMO, that host has moved more into gamesmanship, which is far from the intent of IDPA.

Quote Originally Posted by tnsoldier4fun View Post
    Start by going to the IDPA website and read up on the organization, what they're trying to accomplish and the rules. Then, if I were you, I would try to go to at least a couple, if not three, IDPA matches hosted by different people. The reason I say this is that some match hosts stick closer to the intent of IDPA than others. Also, some hosts will have nights that are oriented more to new shooters and others that are more complex. Ask when they might be holding qualifiers and matches for newcomers. If I ever went to a match where a stage had you shooting at 6-10 people, I would move on to another club because, IMO, that host has moved more into gamesmanship, which is far from the intent of IDPA.
    I know, I know. I should be working right now but I'm not only on the forum, I'm checking out the website as well! I think I'm going to do just that because I really like what I see. I think that would be really great to get into, and especially at least check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertywheel View Post
    Time to get another Glock 19!
    Call me a fanboy, but those gen 5's are looking mighty fine! Especially if said gen 5 19 was in an an FDE configuration.
    Libertywheel likes this.

I've got my gun belt. I've got my kydex AIWB holster in the mail. I'm looking for a solid OWB holster for the range, and first and foremost, I've got my G19.

This begs me to ask the question, "Now what?"

I know that it is important for my peace of mind to carry, for both me and my wife's saftey. However, I have no formal firearms training besides my fair share of range time.
    I suggest that a new shooter (or at least a new carrier) mixed with a striker fired weapon and an AIWB holster is simply a recipe for disaster. I'm not discouraging you from carrying by any means, but I would suggest you look at a strong side IWB holster as you learn to carry. In that configuration, the gun is naturally pointed away from your body when drawing and holstering. Well, mostly. In AIWB, which I am seriously considering myself, the gun is naturally pointed at you during these critical times, and quite often just while sitting.

Develop some real comfort with your weapon before you add something as complex as AIWB.

Just my $.02, and worth what you paid for it.
    ckisgen and Cpt_Quail like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links