Eyes closed

Eyes closed

This is a discussion on Eyes closed within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have a problem. As I squeeze the trigger I close my eyes. It's a nasty habit that I need to correct. Any ideas ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Eyes closed

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar

Eyes closed

Ok, I have a problem. As I squeeze the trigger I close my eyes. It's a nasty habit that I need to correct. Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit? I'm not a bad shot, but this is driving me crazy!

Are you reacting to perceived recoil, or muzzle blast possibly? Try dry firing and see if you still close your eyes. Might point you in the direction you need to move. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Ok, I have a problem. As I squeeze the trigger I close my eyes. It's a nasty habit that I need to correct. Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit? I'm not a bad shot, but this is driving me crazy!
    Don't anticipate the shot. Get into that "bubble" and concentrate either on the sights or the threat.
    BCC73, airslot, GpTom and 4 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ex Member
    What caliber handgun do you train with. If you have access to a 22 cal handgun, try loading one round at a time. Then fire one shot followed by one dry fire. This helped my daughter significantly with both flinching and anticipating the shot.
    maxwell97 and GpTom like this.

Good question. I exclusively shoot the "snappy " 40 S&W, and have no problems with recoil anticipation. I mind set that there will be no recoil. Years ago, I was herky gerky with my trigger finger.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Iíve never heard of this. Out of curiosity, do you wear eye protection?
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Iíve never heard of this. Out of curiosity, do you wear eye protection?
    Movie actors do it all the time even when firing blanks. Keanu Reeves, almost all of the NCIS agents etc. I tape those movies/shows and you can slow motion and stop the movie/show at any stage. I find them doing that all the time, where you miss it in real time.

It's well known that people blink/close their eyes when they fire a shot. They aren't concentrating enough on the threat or sights and getting into that bubble where the distractions of noise/recoil/outside forces are allowing this to happen. They haven't learned to how to get into the "bubble". More people do it than don't actually.

I'm surprised you've never heard of this, it's a common problem.
    Bad Bob, Jaeger, GpTom and 3 others like this.

Administrator
    Grab yourself a pair of high quality shooting/safety glasses that you know that you can really trust your eyesight to.

Subliminally....just doing that really helps.

It is human nature for the brain to act to protect the eyes.

Once it "clicks" in your mind that your eyes are truly safe, you can lose the auto-reaction for your eyelids to close.

You might have to work at it a bit though.

Also....if your spent brass is ejecting toward your face you will need to have a gunsmith correct that.

Anytime any physical object is coming toward your face, a protective action of closing the eyes is decently inevitable.
    AzQkr, blitzburgh, GpTom and 1 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Addition.

You might also want to shoot standard velocity .22 LR initially while you work on that issue.

With concentration it is an obstacle that can be overcome.
    GpTom and Hatchee like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Movie actors do it all the time even when firing blanks. Keanu Reeves, almost all of the NCIS agents etc. I tape those movies/shows and you can slow motion and stop the movie/show at any stage. I find them doing that all the time, where you miss it in real time.

It's well known that people blink/close their eyes when they fire a shot. They aren't concentrating enough on the threat or sights and getting into that bubble where the distractions of noise/recoil/outside forces are allowing this to happen. They haven't learned to how to get into the "bubble". More people do it than don't actually.

There is a difference between blinking eyes and closed eyes. I have seen a couple of people so afraid of the recoil and subsequent blast, they have their eyes screwed shut..

Blinking is a different matter. Everyone blinks when they shoot whether they realize it or not. Even Jerry Miculek blinks! Bob Munden blinked too. I'll be willing to bet the Duke (John Wayne) blinked.
    AzQkr, GpTom, Rabbit212 and 1 others like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Thatís weird. I guess now that I think about it, Iím not usually in position to see peopleís eyes when they are shooting, so the only way I would know is if they said so, Iíve just never seen it brought up. And I donít pay close enough attention in movies.
    AzQkr likes this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    There is a difference between blinking eyes and closed eyes. I have seen a couple of people so afraid of the recoil and subsequent blast, they have their eyes screwed shut..

A blink is 300-400 milliseconds. The OP said he's closing his eyes when the gun discharges. It suggests more than a blink

Blinking is a different matter. Everyone blinks when they shoot whether they realize it or not. Even Jerry Miculek blinks! Bob Munden blinked too. I'll be willing to bet the Duke (John Wayne) blinked.
    Well, that makes sense, we blink up to 30K times a day, about 30 minutes a day or 5 years in a lifetime

Ex Member
    I'll be willing to bet the Duke (John Wayne) blinked.

I can't believe the Mods allow sacrilegious statements like that!!! ;)

I need to learn how to get in this bubble.
    AzQkr likes this.
    "The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principle upon which it was founded."

Try point shoot drills. No aiming. First start by drawing your empty hand with no gun. Point your index finger at the target and repeat this 5 times. Now RELAX and draw your loaded firearm and point it at the target without looking at the sights. Squeeze off 5 rapid shots without looking at the sights. Continue until you stop anticipating the individual shots. So, instead of ready, draw, aim, fire you are doing ready, draw, fire multiple shots. Look at the target as you are firing.
    AzQkr likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links