Pleasant Outcome of Disrupted Range Day

This is a discussion on Pleasant Outcome of Disrupted Range Day within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The temperature reached the upper sixties today in South Central Missouri, a full 70 degrees warmer than it had been mid-week. I had several handguns ...

Like Tree35Likes
  • 13 Post By Old Man
  • 2 Post By G26Raven
  • 4 Post By Old Man
  • 3 Post By G26Raven
  • 4 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 4 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By Old Man
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 2 Post By CG11

Thread: Pleasant Outcome of Disrupted Range Day

Distinguished Member

The temperature reached the upper sixties today in South Central Missouri, a full 70 degrees warmer than it had been mid-week. I had several handguns I wanted to shoot, including my new Glock G48, so after church I headed to one of the local members only ranges. The access road was turning into a quagmire with the thaw. I was glad I had four wheel drive as one of the hills was a muddy mess. Apparently there were many other persons who had also decided to come out from the weather forced range sabbatical as I noticed lots of people shooting while driving to the traditional pistol range.

At the pistol range two women were shooting when I arrived at the 25 yard gong. After I had an opportunity to set a target at 25 yards during a break in their shooting I started shooting a .22 pistol I have been working with and then went to the new Glock G48. I was planning on firing several hundred rounds with it, primarily reloads. I promptly had a failure to completely chamber a round on the second 10 round mag. It was really a doozy, jammed tight, the extractor slipped the shell casing extractor groove and I couldn't get it to chamber or extract nor could I move the slide to field strip the pistol. I removed the magazine and placed the handgun in my range bag. (Later disassembled at home. Bad reloaded cartridge, shell casing too long and I hadn't trimmed cases. Checked 250 others and found three similar. I spot check cases and don't trim my 9mm every time. I don't use reloads for SD, but perhaps I should start plunk testing them just to minimize my frustrations.)

In talking to the women I found out that they both had their conceal carry permits for about a year and was impressed with their commitment not to be victims and protect themselves and children. One had a Glock G42 .380 and the other a G43 9mm. Both mothers in their late thirties to early forties, I think. Hey, I'm old and almost any woman looks young to me! Over the course of several hours we talked about a lot of things. I suggested some groups where they could obtain shooting instruction from women instructors. And also suggested they move up to 3 - 7 yards to the my targets and shoot them. I explained the concept of aiming for center of mass and demonstrated by standing in front of the targets that they had shot and asking them "What would you have hit if you had been shooting at a person my size?" We talked about likely distances for encounters and I was really moved by one of them telling about the fear she had experienced while under lock down for an intruder in a public school when she had been a teacher. She now travels around auditing different schools. She told me she refused to "hide" when there were other alternatives available and would prefer to "fight", especially if she had a firearm to fight back! She told me of seeing a local private school which had a sign posted at the driveway entrance "This campus under video surveillance and protected by teachers who conceal carry firearms". Wow, I hadn't heard about that!

I finished up after the women packed up by shooting my Shield .45 until I drew attention from someone I see often and who always wants to engage me in conversation. He's an old guy, too, and doesn't get many people to talk to him I guess, but I was talked out by this time and managed to excuse myself and head home to look at the G48.

Sounds like a good day!
    QKShooter and Old Man like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Sounds like a good day!
    It certainly was. Real bonus running into these two fine young women. Probably the only chance I'll get to shoot for a few weeks, as rain is in the forecast Monday thru Thursday and then the wife and I are headed to South Alabama / Florida panhandle for a little time to rejuvenate from the cold.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    It certainly was. Real bonus running into these two fine young women. Probably the only chance I'll get to shoot for a few weeks, as rain is in the forecast Monday thru Thursday and then the wife and I are headed to South Alabama / Florida panhandle for a little time to rejuvenate from the cold.
    We're supposed to have very windy, wet, and cold weather here for the next week, too, which pretty much eliminates our outdoor range. My new Sig is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Tuesday we will probably head for the closest indoor range (45 minutes away) to get a bit of time shooting in.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

VIP Member
    Glad you had a great day, Old Man, even with the ammo problem messing up your planned Glock time.

Shooting is great fun, but even more so when you get to talk to other shooters and offer them helpful advice. At least that's how I feel. It gives me a good feeling to help others, and for some unknown reason I also shoot better when folks like that are watching.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Moderator
    OM -

It was really a doozy, jammed tight, the extractor slipped the shell casing extractor groove and I couldn't get it to chamber or extract nor could I move the slide to field strip the pistol. I removed the magazine and placed the handgun in my range bag. (Later disassembled at home. Bad reloaded cartridge, shell casing too long and I hadn't trimmed cases. Checked 250 others and found three similar. I spot check cases and don't trim my 9mm every time.
    I think I've reloaded 5000 or more 9mm rounds using range brass since I started using 9mm for the steel matches. I have never needed to trim brass! The only problem I've run into is a few case separations with Freedom Munitions brass. This company puts a reduced diameter "step" inside the case about halfway between case mouth and flash hole. I don't run hot loads; 124 gr at about 1050 ft/sec (130 power factor) which does not challenge the strength of any other brass I use. But the Freedom cases which separated did so right at that step. Was your bad round perhaps from Freedom Munitions? Headstamp is FM.

When I started loading 9mm, along with dies I also got a Wilson case gage, which has paid for itself many times over for .45 ACP. But the tapered case of the 9mm confounds the use of the case gage, and you actually need to use your gun's chamber for a useful check. You want the back face of the cartridge between flush with the barrel hood to maybe 0.020" forward of the hood. If the back face is proud of the barrel hood, something's wrong. If you have a decent caliper, you might check the depth of the chamber and compare it to SAAMI specs. Glock chambers typically have generous tolerances, but you might have caught one on the tight side.

I sincerely doubt you need to start trimming 9mm brass unless you get it from someone who's been shooting Open class with 9mm loaded to Major power factor! Those cases are pretty obvious by their flattened primers.
    G26Raven, rocky, Old Man and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    OM -

I think I've reloaded 5000 or more 9mm rounds using range brass since I started using 9mm for the steel matches. I have never needed to trim brass! The only problem I've run into is a few case separations with Freedom Munitions brass. This company puts a reduced diameter "step" inside the case about halfway between case mouth and flash hole. I don't run hot loads; 124 gr at about 1050 ft/sec (130 power factor) which does not challenge the strength of any other brass I use. But the Freedom cases which separated did so right at that step. Was your bad round perhaps from Freedom Munitions? Headstamp is FM.

When I started loading 9mm, along with dies I also got a Wilson case gage, which has paid for itself many times over for .45 ACP. But the tapered case of the 9mm confounds the use of the case gage, and you actually need to use your gun's chamber for a useful check. You want the back face of the cartridge between flush with the barrel hood to maybe 0.020" forward of the hood. If the back face is proud of the barrel hood, something's wrong. If you have a decent caliper, you might check the depth of the chamber and compare it to SAAMI specs. Glock chambers typically have generous tolerances, but you might have caught one on the tight side.

I sincerely doubt you need to start trimming 9mm brass unless you get it from someone who's been shooting Open class with 9mm loaded to Major power factor! Those cases are pretty obvious by their flattened primers.
    Thanks for the suggestions @gasmitty . I've never had to trim 9mm either. I will do some more digging on this and post anything I find out. I do have calipers with a depth gauge.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    We're supposed to have very windy, wet, and cold weather here for the next week, too, which pretty much eliminates our outdoor range. My new Sig is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Tuesday we will probably head for the closest indoor range (45 minutes away) to get a bit of time shooting in.
    Good luck on having some decent weather to get the Sig out to test drive it G26Raven. It should be a dandy and I know you're anxious to fire it.
    G26Raven and QKShooter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Good luck on having some decent weather to get the Sig out to test drive it G26Raven. It should be a dandy and I know you're anxious to fire it.
    Thank you!
    QKShooter likes this.

VIP Member
    As uplifting as it was to read about your encounter with these capable and determined young women, I'm sure it was even better in person. Glad your range times was so fulfilling, sir.
    Old Man and QKShooter like this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Sponsored Links