DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

Draw practice from concealed at 12 feet, 2 threats, front sight focus

Thread: Draw practice from concealed at 12 feet, 2 threats, front sight focus

Tags:
  1. Mike1956's Avatar

    Mike1956 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Drawing one hand or pulling the shirt with the off hand? No timer but I can draw 5 times from under my Tshirt hip or AIWB...one-handed...four are smooth and perfect...the fifth, I'm standin' there with a handful of shirt. Just happens. I'd hate to be either of those paper plates, personally.
    Practice, practice, practice...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill
     
  2. Snub44's Avatar

    Snub44 said:
    Just can't seem to get around that part of the deal, can I?!!!
     
  3. TSKnight's Avatar

    TSKnight said:
    Nice shooting GM!

    My draw times have consistently gotten longer as the feeling in my hands has gotten worse. The last time I checked, my average was close to 2 seconds. Half a second doesn't seem like much until it might be the difference between going home or not.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.
     
  4. PhaedrusIV's Avatar

    PhaedrusIV said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Just can't seem to get around that part of the deal, can I?!!!
    There are worse things than standing there with a handful of shirt, if you get my drift...

    Just sayin'...
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -
     
  5. xXxHeavy's Avatar

    xXxHeavy said:
    Very good times ......did you move off the "X" or just stand stationary.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.
     
  6. AzQkr's Avatar

    AzQkr said:
    Lag time from the buzzer likely .30-35 seconds, means the physical times would be roughly

    1)1.54 to 1.50
    2)1.24 to 1.29
    3)1.11 to 1.16
    4).81 to .86
    5)1.30 to 1.35

    Was the draw from AIWB [ you usually carry there IIRC ] or strong side?
    The mind is the limiting factor

    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

    Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor
     
  7. glockman10mm's Avatar

    glockman10mm said:
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Very good times ......did you move off the "X" or just stand stationary.
    No, it was stand and deliver, with goal being to see if I could draw from concealment, and land accurate hits in a decent time without fumbling the draw.

    As as it turns out, I did fumble a few times, by getting caught up in the cover garment, but, the clothing is representative of what I wear daily, as well as the carry gun, and holster.

    I don’t buy in to the philosophy of getting off the x, especially as an answer to every scenario, and believe it’s one of those overplayed and over rated training techniques that are used to make the training more dynamic and exciting for the money.

    ....but that’s another conversation:)

    I can improve on the times and accuracy, but “ shoot’em in the face” accuracy is what I was desiring.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss
     
  8. glockman10mm's Avatar

    glockman10mm said:
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Lag time from the buzzer likely .30-35 seconds, means the physical times would be roughly

    1)1.54 to 1.50
    2)1.24 to 1.29
    3)1.11 to 1.16
    4).81 to .86
    5)1.30 to 1.35

    Was the draw from AIWB [ you usually carry there IIRC ] or strong side?
    Yes, AIWB.
    The short grip on the G26 adds a little challenge to it also.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss
     
  9. xXxHeavy's Avatar

    xXxHeavy said:
    I don’t buy in to the philosophy of getting off the x, especially as an answer to every scenario, and believe it’s one of those overplayed and over rated training techniques that are used to make the training more dynamic and exciting for the money.

    ....but that’s another conversation:)


    "Stand and deliver can quickly turn into stand and receive"....omo.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.
     
  10. glockman10mm's Avatar

    glockman10mm said:
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    I don’t buy in to the philosophy of getting off the x, especially as an answer to every scenario, and believe it’s one of those overplayed and over rated training techniques that are used to make the training more dynamic and exciting for the money.

    ....but that’s another conversation:)


    "Stand and deliver can quickly turn into stand and receive"....omo.
    I have done both, and the answer is; it depends.

    One can also run around like a monkey, step’in and fetch’in and run in to a bullet.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss
     
  11. redmc's Avatar

    redmc said:
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Has been a long time since I have done this but it was something I had been wanting to do for a while, and today was the day.

    Ill share my set up, method and even my times with no excuses, ha ha!

    I set two targets out to 12 feet, and put them about 5 to six feet apart. The cardboard was 15x16 inches, which I felt was way to big ( my chest is only about 12-13 inches from armpit to armpit).

    So, I placed paper plates on each one to make the target area closer to reality.
    Attachment 294262

    My wife assisted with an electronic timer ( to tell you the truth, I think she cheated me a little:).

    On go, I drew the G26 with flush fitting mag from concealment and fired one hand one shot on each target, for a total of 5 efforts, and 10 shots total.

    All shots were fired using a sight picture.

    My times were;
    1) 1.84
    2)1.54
    3)1.41
    4)1.11
    5)1.60

    I wasn’t trying to break the speed record or shoot myself in the groin, so there was some judicious use of safety involved, and, I screwed up a few draws when my shirt caught the gun on its way out of the holster, just as I was about to transition the barrel down range.

    The after pics of the targets;
    Attachment 294264Attachment 294266Attachment 294268

    As you you can see, the shots all stayed in a pretty tight on the plate, except for one that I pulled high, but they would have all been in the thoracic cavity where they should be.

    Hopefully, when I get my timer, I can do some video work and post this in real time.
    very good. That is what, when between a rock and a hard place look to your front sight for a way out means.
     
  12. Bad Bob's Avatar

    Bad Bob said:
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    No, it was stand and deliver, with goal being to see if I could draw from concealment, and land accurate hits in a decent time without fumbling the draw.

    As as it turns out, I did fumble a few times, by getting caught up in the cover garment, but, the clothing is representative of what I wear daily, as well as the carry gun, and holster.

    I don’t buy in to the philosophy of getting off the x, especially as an answer to every scenario, and believe it’s one of those overplayed and over rated training techniques that are used to make the training more dynamic and exciting for the money.

    ....but that’s another conversation:)

    I can improve on the times and accuracy, but “ shoot’em in the face” accuracy is what I was desiring.
    Hopefully, if I am moving I am moving to cover. If I can hit them once or twice before I get to cover so much the better.
    A man has got to know his limitations.
     
  13. xXxHeavy's Avatar

    xXxHeavy said:
    Right on......movin' and headin' for cover.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.
     
  14. glockman10mm's Avatar

    glockman10mm said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Hopefully, if I am moving I am moving to cover. If I can hit them once or twice before I get to cover so much the better.
    Yep, all things done with purpose.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss
     
  15. matthew03's Avatar

    matthew03 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    How would things have looked if those two threats had been returning fire? :)

    rx7sig
    I've done some ride alongs with G. They would have never had the opportunity. His Ninja game is on point.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.