Draw practice from concealed at 12 feet, 2 threats, front sight focus

This is a discussion on Draw practice from concealed at 12 feet, 2 threats, front sight focus within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has been a long time since I have done this but it was something I had been wanting to do for a while, and today ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: Draw practice from concealed at 12 feet, 2 threats, front sight focus

Has been a long time since I have done this but it was something I had been wanting to do for a while, and today was the day.

Ill share my set up, method and even my times with no excuses, ha ha!

I set two targets out to 12 feet, and put them about 5 to six feet apart. The cardboard was 15x16 inches, which I felt was way to big ( my chest is only about 12-13 inches from armpit to armpit).

So, I placed paper plates on each one to make the target area closer to reality.
    Draw practice from concealed at 12 feet, 2 threats, front sight focus-153a3a14-e46a-48c8-ac19-9efec69865b3.jpeg

My wife assisted with an electronic timer ( to tell you the truth, I think she cheated me a little:).

On go, I drew the G26 with flush fitting mag from concealment and fired one hand one shot on each target, for a total of 5 efforts, and 10 shots total.

All shots were fired using a sight picture.

My times were;
    1) 1.84
    2)1.54
    3)1.41
    4)1.11
    5)1.60

I wasn’t trying to break the speed record or shoot myself in the groin, so there was some judicious use of safety involved, and, I screwed up a few draws when my shirt caught the gun on its way out of the holster, just as I was about to transition the barrel down range.

The after pics of the targets;
    Draw practice from concealed at 12 feet, 2 threats, front sight focus-56cff7a4-f6cf-4a3d-9636-4986c18020a3.jpegDraw practice from concealed at 12 feet, 2 threats, front sight focus-ee7a3513-429c-478f-87d7-b8dd93e32c1d.jpegDraw practice from concealed at 12 feet, 2 threats, front sight focus-566f9ed6-4e2f-49d2-acaa-ffd2f9b20091.jpeg

As you you can see, the shots all stayed in a pretty tight on the plate, except for one that I pulled high, but they would have all been in the thoracic cavity where they should be.

Hopefully, when I get my timer, I can do some video work and post this in real time.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Seems effective to me. I have to build a second stand and try my hand. My stand holds multiple targets just too close together I feel. Even going for speed I am always conscience of my draw from AIWB and where my trigger finger is throughout the presentation.
    glockman10mm and matthew03 like this.

How would things have looked if those two threats had been returning fire? :)

rx7sig

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Very nice, but I'm a bit confused. The title says ten yards, but you state twelve feet in the post.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post

rx7sig
    Depends on their time to first shots...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Very nice, but I'm a bit confused. The title says ten yards, but you state twelve feet in the post.
    Typo, it was 12 feet.
    Mike1956, OD* and matthew03 like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

rx7sig
    Yeah, you are right. Practice is useless.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Just to clarify, it was 12 feet. I took a pic of the measurement but didn’t post it in the OP to show the distance, and the tape can be seen between the targets on the ground in the OP when I was documenting the details.

Sorry about the confusion. I was thinking ahead while I was posting this thread, and was thinking of doing some videos in the future, and recording times and accuracy at 10 yards, so I suppose 10 yards is stuck in my head since that’s my normal starting distance.
    Draw practice from concealed at 12 feet, 2 threats, front sight focus-f08662e2-836e-4c7d-8757-e779e080a5df.jpeg
    Mike1956, OD*, Pete63 and 3 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Distinguished Member

rx7sig
    No way to know that. Maybe faster. We who have been shot at know that Adrenalin can contribute to speed of reaction. More important is to know that @glockman10mm was a 2nd Ben Recon Marine. We should all wish that at out fastest we could equal the reAction time of a Recon Marine. Know why they are so good. Practice, Practice, Practice.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    No way to know that. Maybe faster. We who have been shot at know that Adrenalin can contribute to speed of reaction. More important is to know that @glockman10mm was a 2nd Ben Recon Marine. We should all wish that at out fastest we could equal the reAction time of a Recon Marine. Know why they are so good. Practice, Practice, Practice.
    But he is also from Kentucky, so it evens out.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    But he is also from Kentucky, so it evens out.
    Evens out or adds to it?
    1942bull likes this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    No way to know that. Maybe faster. We who have been shot at...
    I don't think one needs to have been shot at to appreciate my intended humor. I think @glockman10mm got it alright...

Lead Moderator
    Good to practice, a handful of shirt occasionally does remind us it may seem easy till you screw up.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Evens out or adds to it?
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

VIP Member
    Drawing one hand or pulling the shirt with the off hand? No timer but I can draw 5 times from under my Tshirt hip or AIWB...one-handed...four are smooth and perfect...the fifth, I'm standin' there with a handful of shirt. Just happens. I'd hate to be either of those paper plates, personally.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links