Why don't you train? - Page 5

Why don't you train?

This is a discussion on Why don't you train? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by G26Raven Allahu snackbar! I think my Avatar is best....GBR BABY!!!...

View Poll Results: Why haven't you taken formal firearms training?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know everything about firearms and need no additional training.

    3 6.52%
  • Training is cost prohibitive.

    15 32.61%
  • Training takes too much time.

    4 8.70%
  • There is no training close to where I live.

    8 17.39%
  • My ego doesn't let me do this.

    1 2.17%
  • I don't want to embarrass myself by my lack of skill.

    1 2.17%
  • I don't know what to expect in a class.

    1 2.17%
  • The 2A does not require training.

    4 8.70%
  • Other

    25 54.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 134
Like Tree324Likes

Thread: Why don't you train?

  1. #61
    VIP Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,495
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Allahu snackbar!
    I think my Avatar is best....GBR BABY!!!

  2. #62
    VIP Member Array G26Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    7,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I think my Avatar is best....GBR BABY!!!
    GBR?
    Great Britain
    Great Barrier Reef
    Guide Bone Regeneration
    Glass Bead Rating
    Geotechnical Baseline Report
    Guaranteed Bit Rate
    Greater Baton Rouge
    Global Broadband Roaming
    Go Big Red
    Gun Booster Rocket
    Geodesic Binary Reconstruction
    ???????
    You are your own first responder.

  3. #63
    VIP Member Array G26Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    7,919
    I think the other big issue about training, for me, is that no one instructor has all the answers or knows every technique. It's why I have, and have read, multiple books on deer hunting, photography, or diving. There are usually snippets of information I find in each book (or course) that make sense and are useful in ways no one else has presented.
    AzQkr, OD*, airslot and 2 others like this.
    You are your own first responder.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #64
    VIP Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NE, KS
    Posts
    2,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post

    As great as it would be to training every month or every other month and be an absolute beast with my pistol and rifle should the need ever arise, I have to ask myself whats a better use of my money? Saving up for a down payment on my first house? Or a week getting tactical training for the end of the world? What am I more likely to use?
    IMHO, this probably the most important question to answer.

    I actually had an instructor suggest this to a class I was in. He (Rob Pincus) stated, the majority of his students would be better off with some 1st aid training and a gym membership. Statistically he was 100% correct. I generally take a couple classes a year, practice often (own range) and shoot a couple IDPA matches a month along with 3Gun. Based on my age, lifestyle etc. the odds of me aver having to use a gun in self defense are slim and none at this point.

    The odds that some failure or lack of training having a negative impact IF I have to use a gun are probably even more remote than that. Seems like completely untrained folks are more often than not successful when it comes to SD with a firearm.

    I like training, I like taking classes, but the reality is I'd make better use of a 1st aid class and a gym membership.
    homo homini lupus est

  6. #65
    Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,790
    Which is worse for the bad guy, being shot by someone trained or untrained?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    G-man* likes this.

  7. #66
    VIP Member Array G-man*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    18,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post

    I like training, I like taking classes, but the reality is I'd make better use of a 1st aid class and a gym membership.
    Ive had a lot of training in the past, and if I decide to do it again it will be strictly for fun and hanging out with like minded people having fun doing some shooting, not because I feel I need it.

    And it will be from an accredited school with widely accepted doctrine with a proven track record over time, because anything less is just a waste of time and money.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

    ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

  8. #67
    Distinguished Member
    Array Wavygravy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,625
    I haven't taken "classes." Right now I practice by myself on a IDPA defensive course when it's not in use, and also practice just shooting from different distances.
    I had training years ago in the military. I hope that, beyond that initial training, the actual time I spent in combat (in the s#*t, it was called) has left me with the mindset I need if ever called upon again by dire circumstances. I don't know -- I might be too old. If so, I'm fooling myself and should take some courses.
    G26Raven, G-man* and matthew03 like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

  9. #68
    VIP Member Array G26Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    7,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    I haven't taken "classes." Right now I practice by myself on a IDPA defensive course when it's not in use, and also practice just shooting from different distances.
    I had training years ago in the military. I hope that, beyond that initial training, the actual time I spent in combat (in the s#*t, it was called) has left me with the mindset I need if ever called upon again by dire circumstances. I don't know -- I might be too old. If so, I'm fooling myself and should take some courses.
    You have training and experience I can only envy. Thank you for service.
    OD*, AzQkr, Wavygravy and 2 others like this.
    You are your own first responder.

  10. #69
    Senior Member Array Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Too close to Saginaw Mi.
    Posts
    1,002
    I'm going to be Captain Obvious .....

    Whether ordinary folks are aware of what it is called or not they use a risk assessment when they decide whether to carry a gun or not. Some folks carry all the time regardless of the perceived level of risk while other folks decide the risk is low enough not to be burdened/inconvenienced with carrying while mowing the lawn, doing a quick run to the local store for some milk, or visiting some friends. Some folks might decide not to carry because they think carrying to Mom's house is kinda paranoid.

    I think folks also do a risk assessment in regards to how much training they believe they might need or have use for. And they balance the risk to their checkbook and time available vs the amount of physical risk of being attacked. Someone who lives in a really bad part of town might have a different perspective on the need for training, or the amount of training needed, than someone who lives out in the country 5 miles away from the nearest (small) town.

    Kinda like the difference between the amount of training needed by the average person to address the risks in their average daily life and the training needed for a special ops team to address the risks during a mission.

    So how much training is needed? Again comes the answer no one likes to hear....

    It depends.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

  11. #70
    VIP Member Array LimaCharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Oregon
    Posts
    14,846
    I have been carrying handguns since 1963 in civilian life. In 1967, I dropped my girlfriend off at her home and took a shortcut through a ghetto area in a big city around 3:00 am headed back to the military base. I had to draw my gun, but not use it in an attempted carjacking. I never took a shortcut through a ghetto area again. Experience is the best training.

    That is my only use of a handgun in fifty-six years of carrying in civilian life. So far, so good.

    But, I still carry two handguns and spare reloads when I am dressed just in case. I depend on my mindset, situational awareness, and twenty-two years of military training and experience.

    Training is great. I am pushing 73 with arthritis, bad knees, and bad hips. Training to be an operator at my point in life has zero cost-benefit.
    PhaedrusIV, OD*, Bikenut and 5 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

  12. #71
    Senior Member Array Gunnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,158
    I myself train regularly which wasnít an option. Though most of my training is done just myself coming up with drills and setting up a range. Donít attend formal courses because of the time constraints with work and the funding. Though the funding could be worked around by not adding another gun. Time constraint simply cannot be fixed at this time. I suppose I could call mine formal since Iím teaching myself and am an instructor lol.
    OD*, AzQkr, matthew03 and 2 others like this.

  13. #72
    VIP Member Array Chuck808's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    IMHO, this probably the most important question to answer.

    I actually had an instructor suggest this to a class I was in. He (Rob Pincus) stated, the majority of his students would be better off with some 1st aid training and a gym membership. Statistically he was 100% correct. I generally take a couple classes a year, practice often (own range) and shoot a couple IDPA matches a month along with 3Gun. Based on my age, lifestyle etc. the odds of me aver having to use a gun in self defense are slim and none at this point.

    The odds that some failure or lack of training having a negative impact IF I have to use a gun are probably even more remote than that. Seems like completely untrained folks are more often than not successful when it comes to SD with a firearm.

    I like training, I like taking classes, but the reality is I'd make better use of a 1st aid class and a gym membership.
    100%. Over the past few years Iíve our my funds towards lasik eye surgery and a weight loss surgery. Both out of pocket, but both were investments in myself and my future. What gets me is you see people at the range and on YouTube who are in full tactical gear who are 5í8Ē and 350lbs, and between drills do nothing but drink Mountain Dew and smoke cigarettes. Someone needs to tell them their insane EDC of a FDE shirt, 5.11 pants, full size handgun, spare mag, backup gun, spare backup gun mag, clinchpick, folding knife, combat flashlight, utility flashlight, pocket trauma kit, two tourniquets, etc isnít going to save him from heart disease or lung cancer.

    Now if people are worried about about preserving life they should eat less, exercise more, stop smoking, and pay attention on the road. We are fortunate to live in a super safe country in the safest time in human history. Now if I lived in Venezuela, eastern Ukraine, Syria, Afghanistan, or some other place being torn apart by war, the likelihood of carrying a firearm being the number one life preservation act would be different.
    Chuck R., G-man* and matthew03 like this.

  14. #73
    VIP Member Array G-man*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    18,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    100%. Over the past few years Iíve our my funds towards lasik eye surgery and a weight loss surgery. Both out of pocket, but both were investments in myself and my future. What gets me is you see people at the range and on YouTube who are in full tactical gear who are 5í8Ē and 350lbs, and between drills do nothing but drink Mountain Dew and smoke cigarettes. Someone needs to tell them their insane EDC of a FDE shirt, 5.11 pants, full size handgun, spare mag, backup gun, spare backup gun mag, clinchpick, folding knife, combat flashlight, utility flashlight, pocket trauma kit, two tourniquets, etc isnít going to save him from heart disease or lung cancer.

    Now if people are worried about about preserving life they should eat less, exercise more, stop smoking, and pay attention on the road. We are fortunate to live in a super safe country in the safest time in human history. Now if I lived in Venezuela, eastern Ukraine, Syria, Afghanistan, or some other place being torn apart by war, the likelihood of carrying a firearm being the number one life preservation act would be different.
    Chuck808 and airslot like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

    ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

  15. #74
    DG
    DG is offline
    Senior Member Array DG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Southeast
    Posts
    966
    What if something unfortunate happened? The district attorney presents his evidence. "Look your honor. He trained to kill. His online posts are offered as evidence."

    I've never trained. Well, there was that Army stuff, but who remembers that?

  16. #75
    Ex Member Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,639
    Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    What if something unfortunate happened? The district attorney presents his evidence. "Look your honor. He trained to kill. His online posts are offered as evidence."

    I've never trained. Well, there was that Army stuff, but who remembers that?
    That's a baseless opinion stated as fact with no supporting evidence that's what was being taught. It would be objected to and sustained. A DA can make any claim he wants to, he has to provide basis of fact to support the statements made however.

    The evidence would support the fact that the defendant was defending himself from grave bodily harm or death based on a reasonable man test. Please don't tell me that's the excuse you're using to not train,
    OD*, airslot and matthew03 like this.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •