Why don't you train? - Page 9

Why don't you train?

This is a discussion on Why don't you train? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Snub44 Thanks...never had the experience. They have a boot camp there or just a range? After Diego, I never left LeJeune...very boring ...

View Poll Results: Why haven't you taken formal firearms training?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know everything about firearms and need no additional training.

3 6.52%
  • Training is cost prohibitive.

15 32.61%
  • Training takes too much time.

4 8.70%
  • There is no training close to where I live.

8 17.39%
  • My ego doesn't let me do this.

1 2.17%
  • I don't want to embarrass myself by my lack of skill.

1 2.17%
  • I don't know what to expect in a class.

1 2.17%
  • The 2A does not require training.

4 8.70%
  • Other

25 54.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
Like Tree324Likes

Thread: Why don't you train?

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Thanks...never had the experience. They have a boot camp there or just a range? After Diego, I never left LeJeune...very boring enlistment.
    You missed out on one of the greatest ports of liberty in the world there in the Philippines.

The Olongapo woman were legendary, and you could get loaded and have a big night for 10 bucks.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Well, I've heard a few of those legends...but I was happily/hopefully engaged the whole time I was in the Corps...saved my nickels for on leave...and didn't even drink back then...I was no fun at all.
    PhaedrusIV and Struckat like this.

other than military AR and pistol course in the Army I've had no formal training but at 47 years old I have been shooting pistols, rifles , and shot guns since I was around 5 years old with my dad and both grandfathers making sure I understood the basics of firearm handling and safety, a .30 Blackhawk and a Remington .22 auto rifle along with a spanish double barrel .410 started me out to the wonderful smell of gunsmoke

I have my own private range now and can set it up for static target practice and teaching friends and faimly the basics or I can lay it out with barrels, pallets, and low walls to do a moving course of fire when I want a challenge so yeah I do train but I do it my way, not only do I do the dynamic 3,5,&,7 self defense distances but I regularly will engage silhouette targets and 6,8,10,& 12" plates all the way out to 50 yards just so I know I can make that shot when I have to.
    I taught my boys and nieces and nephews to shoot and handle guns when they where little so they where at least able to use one and not be afraid of it. Now my youngest son has really started to take an interest in shooting as a defensive/ fun thing and I'm looking forward to seeing him really learn , we were shooting his new pistol yesterday and he asked how do you make so much smaller groups than me and us both shooting the same gun, same distance, and it's new to both of us? I just smiledat him and said you are doing great son but I have 40 years of trigger time and practice on you
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I did not vote on this because I do train. Rather than not train, I wished I trained more. For me it is mostly a time issue.
    Last edited by ColoradoDiablo; May 11th, 2019 at 01:59 PM.
    AzQkr, Mike1956 and G26Raven like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Imperative varies by situation, for sure. What was the cost, just out of curiosity?
    $300 for the package, and that was:

Two, 2-3 hr classroom sessions and 3 range days, one of which included low-light.

It really was a bargain.
    G-man*, Mike1956 and matthew03 like this.
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    $300 for the package, and that was:

Two, 2-3 hr classroom sessions and 3 range days, one of which included low-light.

It really was a bargain.
    Quite reasonable. Too bad that interest has waned.
    G26Raven likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

No doubt, there is specialized training from uniquely qualified instructors/practitioners that is worth the premium, yours being a case in point. You guys are few and far between, in my opinion, and in my experience.
    Thanks Mike,
    Mike1956 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Well, I've heard a few of those legends...but I was happily/hopefully engaged the whole time I was in the Corps...saved my nickels for on leave...and didn't even drink back then...I was no fun at all.
    That was then, and this is now, and you're still no fun, @Snub44 . Well, maybe a LITTLE...
    Snub44, OD* and matthew03 like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Time, availability, and cost are big factors. I had a fairly good base from the Army way back in the 70s and 80s, and since becoming one of those "CCW warriors" about 10 years ago, I take advantage of what's locally available and feasible within the time I have to take part in it. Basic CHCL course... community first aid... use of OC spray... some basic empty hand and verbal judo workshops... a more extended training course for the state's new "enhanced" carry license early last year... some workshops on active shooter response, new state carry provisions, "stop the bleed"... plus formal range practice and qualification the same as local police are required to complete... and I try to spend at least one afternoon a month at the range working on marksmanship. I read a lot on the applicable literature, and some of the experiences shared on this and other forums. One of the Rangemaster courses is coming to town late this summer, and I'm signed up for that.

All fairly low key, but I try to keep up with things.

All fairly
    OD*, G26Raven, AnthonyC and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    For those who voted training is too expensive, how many of you have kids?

Kids are expensive, to the tune of 230K from birth to 17. If you've got kids, you certainly could have afforded training for a lifetime of you'd just not had that last one little rugrat.

Lets see, 1500.00 all inclusive per course maybe, means one kid costs 153 courses in 17 years or 9 courses a year. Have a kid or another kid, then complain you can't afford training?

Like I've always said, it's about priorities, not the money.
    Four kids, all about 2 years apart. Sending all of them to private schools here in NY. Every year my wife have the discussion in January-March about whether we can afford to send all four to private schools. We sacrafice A LOT of luxuries in order to do so: vacations, new cars, dining out, new clothes, and new gadgets of all sorts. For me its new firearms and training courses. I only really became interested in politics, self-protection and Constitutionally protected rights after I started havoing kids. They made me more aware of my responsibilities to myself and my family. So I try to got to the range once per month at least.
    However, the option of sending them to the local public schools is a nonstarter. We would home-school instead. Long story short, the vast majority of PS are one-size-fits all, and if you are a square peg they expect you to fit in a round hole. If you are the least bit trouble, the school sends you to the doc for medication. Seen it with nieces and nephews.
    AzQkr, Mike1956, OD* and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
    Four kids, all about 2 years apart. Sending all of them to private schools here in NY. Every year my wife have the discussion in January-March about whether we can afford to send all four to private schools. We sacrafice A LOT of luxuries in order to do so: vacations, new cars, dining out, new clothes, and new gadgets of all sorts. For me its new firearms and training courses. I only really became interested in politics, self-protection and Constitutionally protected rights after I started havoing kids. They made me more aware of my responsibilities to myself and my family. So I try to got to the range once per month at least.
    However, the option of sending them to the local public schools is a nonstarter. We would home-school instead. Long story short, the vast majority of PS are one-size-fits all, and if you are a square peg they expect you to fit in a round hole. If you are the least bit trouble, the school sends you to the doc for medication. Seen it with nieces and nephews.
    My oldest son got put on Ritalin against my wishes courtesy of his kool-ade swiggin' mom and the Social Studies teacher at his junior high school. Everybody, him included, quickly figured out that they preferred the non-medicated version of him. Unfortunately, many never come to similar realizations. Twenty years later, he is a successful, well-adjusted husband, father and civil engineer.
    AzQkr, OD*, graydude and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Personally, I feel that 300 a day is a deal for the level and quality of training that you receive st places like Gunsite, TR, Tactical Response or Valor Ridge.
    And remember, they grew to what they are by offering what has been recognized nationally as some of the best training there is using the proven technique based on variations of the MT.

There are some smaller guys out there that are doing very well teaching the same things for a little lesser money, and I would rather spend my money being grounded in good solid fundamental teachings that cover every facet of skill that I can use and build on than some made up, fly by night training that has been made up and developed to attract people who “ don’t know what they don’t know”. And it seems like there has been plenty of this going around.

These facilities are mainstream and their methods are widely widely accepted and adopted by professionals for a very good reason.
    Personally, I don't typically recommend or criticize schools or trainers that I haven't personally trained with.
    AzQkr likes this.

Personally, I don't typically recommend or criticize schools or trainers that I haven't personally trained with.
    We make choices based on what we know by reputation, or their own demonstrations.
    One doesn’t need to spend money first to know if the training is in agreement with one’s own beliefs, experience, or desire to learn.

We do do it every day in our decision making process. And we express our opinions on the same.
    Havok likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Enough with this damned FSP vs TF crap, it's old, it tiresome. If you guys can't grow up, you'll be gone permanently, we have warned you enough, you've even been given time-outs like children. We are tired of repeating ourselves and cleaning up after your messes. AND do not start yet another thread on this nonsense because you didn't get the last word in.
    Mike1956, G-man*, AzQkr and 3 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Sponsored Links