Do you practice with .22s rather than your normal carry gun? - Page 3

Do you practice with .22s rather than your normal carry gun?

This is a discussion on Do you practice with .22s rather than your normal carry gun? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Though not for "carry", the 22lr "AR" I have is a great way for beginners to learn the platform with less intimidation and cost. For ...

View Poll Results: Do you practice with .22s rather than your normal carry caliber?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I primarily practice with a .22 pistol.

2 2.44%
  • Yes, I primarily practice with a .22 conversion for my carry pistol.

1 1.22%
  • No, I primarily practice with my carry caliber pistol.

62 75.61%
  • Other

17 20.73%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Do you practice with .22s rather than your normal carry gun?

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Though not for "carry", the 22lr "AR" I have is a great way for beginners to learn the platform with less intimidation and cost.
    For the more experienced, it's really fun to shoot.
    Upside down pic is the rimfire

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a nasty habit of flipping the muzzle after working on double and triple taps. So, at the end of my practice sessions, I use a .22lr to remove recoil from the equation and leave on a good note and make sure Iím not reinforcing bad habits. Seems to be helping well as my groups at all calibers are getting tighter.
    G26Raven, Nmuskier and airslot like this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I train with a .22lr because I sometimes carry it. I wouldn't train with a .22lr because I have carry a version of the pistol in a different caliber, or a kit to change the caliber. It's not the same thing, no matter how much you want it to be. I practice with the guns I carry, in their carry caliber. The single exception to this is my range doesn't allow magnum rounds, so I usually practice with 38spl instead of .357. I do practice with .357 when I am able to.
    G26Raven likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I shoot .22 for fun. All other shooting is with my carry guns.
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I only shoot what I carry. I've got 15 different guns that can be used in my carry rotation and none of them are 22 caliber.

When I was a Firefighter, before I retired, we would do alot of training, and we always used that old saying, " practice like you play. " I can't get that 357 magnum recoil, flash, and blast with a 22.

So to me, it's just not realistic enough.
    Professional shooters, who even use dry fire as part of their training regime, would disagree. Getting recoil and flash from your magnum only teaches recoil management and getting excited about muzzle flash. Those things are more likely to hide or even create bad habits. All of the fundamentals can be practiced with a .22.

Sub caliber or even dry fire practice are important pieces to add to anyone's training plan.

I dry fire practice almost daily, with whatever my carry gun happens to be that day. I practice drawing from concealment and fsp, as well as point shooting (with a laser) and save a butt load of money on ammo.

I'm only able to get to the range once a week, so my guns get dry fired 7:1 , and another benefit is I don't have to spend any money on trigger jobs on any of my revolvers. Lol
    G26Raven and Nmuskier like this.

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    People should always practice w/ what they will use. And practice should always be harder than reality, which means no .22cal guns in place of the larger calibers that will be carried.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    I bought a Ruger SR-22 a couple of years back, just because I didn't have a .22 pistol. I shoot it just for fun occasionally. One reason that I used to justify buying it, is the scenario where I might have a new shooter who could use it to get used to the fundamentals before moving up to a centerfire weapon. Haven't actually had the chance to do that yet, unfortunately.
    G26Raven, Bikenut and airslot like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

I practice with both. I picked up the habit of the 22 from my shooting buddy who is a master class shooter.
    Bikenut, airslot, OD* and 2 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

I really enjoy my 22s, but I don't "practice" with them. They're plinkers and fun guns at the range. Years ago, I hunted small game with a 22lr.
    OD*, G26Raven and Chuck R. like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    People should always practice w/ what they will use. And practice should always be harder than reality, which means no .22cal guns in place of the larger calibers that will be carried.
    Professional shooters disagree. Evidence supports both sub caliber and dryfire practice are beneficial. What's your evidence that they have no place?
    Psalm 144:1

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Primarily practice with my carry pistols.
    G26Raven likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    I work both the 22s and center-fire equally. Fundamentals and technique transfer directly from the 22s, adapted for the increased recoil of the center-fires.
    OD*, G26Raven, bmcgilvray and 1 others like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Lead Moderator
    I practice or train with both , however primarily with my actual carry guns. I forgot what a soft shooter my Ruger single six was till the other day I got it and a few other 22's out just for fun.
    airslot, G26Raven, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    I really enjoy my 22s, but I don't "practice" with them. They're plinkers and fun guns at the range. Years ago, I hunted small game with a 22lr.
    This is pretty much my take on it. I've got a couple .22LRs, but my defensive/match practice is primarily with 9mm. I used a .22LR insert in my AR for a while, but finally broke down and bought an AR in 9mm. I've got a Dillon 650 set up to load 9mm exclusively, so a couple hrs results in 1500 rds or so. Buy in bulk and it's about .10 a round compared to decent .22LR at about .06-.08 a round.
    Texas Red, G26Raven and OD* like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    I practice with many things besides my actual firearms.
    .22ís, Airsoft, Pellet/BB guns, SIRT as well as Blue Guns.
    All have their place.
    Last edited by Matthew Temkin; May 21st, 2019 at 03:27 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links