Do you practice with .22s rather than your normal carry gun? - Page 4

Do you practice with .22s rather than your normal carry gun?

This is a discussion on Do you practice with .22s rather than your normal carry gun? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted “other”. No safe queens in our home, everybody gets to go out and play...

View Poll Results: Do you practice with .22s rather than your normal carry caliber?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I primarily practice with a .22 pistol.

2 2.44%
  • Yes, I primarily practice with a .22 conversion for my carry pistol.

1 1.22%
  • No, I primarily practice with my carry caliber pistol.

62 75.61%
  • Other

17 20.73%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Do you practice with .22s rather than your normal carry gun?

I voted “other”. No safe queens in our home, everybody gets to go out and play
    G26Raven and bmcgilvray like this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Professional shooters disagree. Evidence supports both sub caliber and dryfire practice are beneficial. What's your evidence that they have no place?
    The same as yours: anecdotal.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    The same as yours: anecdotal.
    My evidence is results based across professional shooters. Not feelings of one individual. Those are not the same.
    Psalm 144:1

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I don't yet but I've considered getting one for the additional live fire practice that cheap ammo affords. I mostly shoot SIGs, so I've been considering an ATI GSG Firefly. Does anyone have any opinions on that gun, or would you reco something different?
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chcole1 View Post
    I don't yet but I've considered getting one for the additional live fire practice that cheap ammo affords. I mostly shoot SIGs, so I've been considering an ATI GSG Firefly. Does anyone have any opinions on that gun, or would you reco something different?
    Here's a review...
    https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/ati...#axzz5on9tjEGl
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

My evidence is results based across professional shooters. Not feelings of one individual. Those are not the same.
    Unfortunately, they are still opinions, and anecdotal on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    Unfortunately, they are still opinions, and anecdotal on your part.
    anecdote- a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.

Evidence (examples)- expert opinion from top professionals in the field. Scores empirically assessing skill.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by chcole1 View Post
    The Sig Mosquito/GSG Firefly, exact same gun, seem to get a bad wrap. Seems you either love it or hate it. Of course the bad reviews seem to be the most abundant. I think the good ones don't get reported as much and the people who like them are chided for defending a "junk" gun.

My hands on /ownership experience has been good. Purchased mine used with an unknown total round count. Reportedly low rounds by the second owner. Was stated, First owner bought it and used it only to qualify for her CCW.

I have used Aguila Super Extra 40 gr. HV CPRN (1255), Ci 40 gr CPRN HV (1250), Remington Thunderbolts RN (1255), and CCI 40 gr. Mini Mag HV (1235) ammo. In the multiple bricks, 3-3500 rounds, I have had maybe a handful of failures. I believe those failures to be ammo related and not the gun. My Skeeter came with 2 recoil springs. 1 for standard velocity, 1 for high velocity ammo. I use the HV spring. I run mine "wet" and use Lucas Gun Oil.
    I did replace the slide with a GSG Firefly slide due to damage to the Sig slide and Sig no longer warranties the Mosquito or has available slides.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/ati...#axzz5on9tjEGl
    Quote from the review link ......"I think I understand why Sig canceled their contract with GSG to build the Mosquito".....Sig stopped exporting guns due to an export ban. Nothing about production:
    https://modernrifleman.net/2014/07/1...xports-banned/

I think it is an economical way to get into a .22LR handgun. It isn't used as a training weapon but I do want to get a centerfire Sig eventually, P226.

G26Raven and OD* like this.

Thank you for the info. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabill View Post
    If I have the 22 out I’ll practice with it. I usually practice with my carry pistol.
    Ditto.
    G26Raven likes this.

anecdote- a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.

Evidence (examples)- expert opinion from top professionals in the field. Scores empirically assessing skill.
    I have seen your anecdotal "evidence", but missed your message with the empirical data that proves your anecdote. Please refer me to that message number so I can be enlightened.

VIP Member

Memoroial Day super sale on S"&W .22 compact - grab it quick!

I put a separate thread on about this sale, but thought I'd toss it in here also since the thread is SUPPOSED to be about whether you practice more with a .22 or with your carry gun.

IF you are even thinking of buying a totally trouble free, non ammo picky .22 that fits almost all hands comfortably, here is the link to the thread about my favorite one of the 3 brands that I have........but it's on sale for over $100 less than I paid for mine. MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND ONLY SALE

https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...right-now.html
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I voted the second option - Yes, I primarily practice with a .22 conversion for my carry pistol.
    I carry a S&W 638 J frame 38 Special.
    I practice with a S&W 34 J frame 22.
    They basically function the same.
    At times I'll shoot several hundred rounds of 22 per week.
    I can't shoot that much 38 Special ammo out of that light weight J frame. It would hurt my hand. I'm getting older.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Peace

I practice with my carry guns a lot. The 22 LR is for fun. Nothing wrong with using it.

I prefer to shoot my carry guns using a timer.

Ruger Mark IV Target with T&J Tactical Integral Suppressor

I have my backyard range, and I only shoot Suppressed these days. I shoot my 22 LR at distances beyond what is for self defense because it helps me with control. The room for error is much lower.

I’ll use suppressors on other calibers, though, too. I can’t use a shot timer, though, reliably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    G26Raven and OD* like this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links