Deteriorating Eye Sight - Where Do You Focus - Page 2

Deteriorating Eye Sight - Where Do You Focus

This is a discussion on Deteriorating Eye Sight - Where Do You Focus within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Struckat Mmm, bigger gun, more capacity. ^^^ This was my choice to the same problem along with practicing point shooting. My eyesite ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Deteriorating Eye Sight - Where Do You Focus

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Mmm, bigger gun, more capacity.
    ^^^ This was my choice to the same problem along with practicing point shooting. My eyesite changes almost hourly do to a weird collagen condition and I get the double vision a bunch. Did get shooting glasses for that but your right the BG isn’t going to wait for you to put your glasses on!

Changed from a .38 LCR Smith to a .357 colt revolver and it did take my confidence level up a few notches 😉
    Struckat likes this.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Try focusing at any distance with a cataract.
    OldVet.

3 yrs ago, cataract surgery on the left eye, a few months ago, right eye. 20/20 vision both eyes. And now as my master eye is my right one, the sights have come in dead clear. So draw and fire, front sight the clearest it has ever been. Even tho we have only Medicare, it is not that expensive. TRuGlo night sights 3 green dots. Perfect poor light or sunlight. Sitting in our local Pancake House, (First Watch) there are two stop signs in view, in the parking lot, 50M or so away. They are very clear! Reading glasses required for reading.
    OldVet likes this.

Sponsor
    Deteriorating Eye Sight - Where Do You Focus

On the threat, if one needs corrective lenses to see past one's nose, that's all that's necessary to make extremely accurate hits well past normal SD ranges.

A gun with NO sights on it, it's not the gun that's accurate, it's the shooters ability to use a skill few have in their bag of tricks.

PhaedrusIV and TSKnight like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Edit

My eyesight is a real struggle for me and shooting. I have one eye and am legally blind in it. Combine that with the nerve damage from my injuries, and I'm really having to work on things with these subcompact CC pistols. I don't really know how to proceed. At this point I'm just sighting on the threat (target) and trying to point shoot without really concentrating on the blurry sights. The target is blurry enough. Heheh. I'd post a pic of my pathetic attempts at the range today, but am embarrassed to.
    I'm hitting the target -- let's just leave it at that....
    AzQkr and TSKnight like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    My eyesight is a real struggle for me and shooting. I have one eye and am legally blind in it. Combine that with the nerve damage from my injuries, and I'm really having to work on things with these subcompact CC pistols. I don't really know how to proceed. At this point I'm just sighting on the threat (target) and trying to point shoot without really concentrating on the blurry sights. The target is blurry enough. Heheh. I'd post a pic of my pathetic attempts at the range today, but am embarrassed to.
    I'm hitting the target -- let's just leave it at that....
    So you are literally a one-eyed blind man? At least you have an excuse. I shoot like a one-eyed blind man with both eyes open. Combat accurate for me is not shooting myself!
    Wavygravy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OK, I don't care. I'll put up my results today. 15 yards, less than 1 second between shots. 7 and 8 round mags each less than 5 seconds per mag. I'm kind of all over the place. No "ragged holes in the bull" for me.

AzQkr, OldVet and TSKnight like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

OK, I don't care. I'll put up my results today. 15 yards, less than 1 second between shots. 7 and 8 round mags each less than 5 seconds per mag. I'm kind of all over the place. No "ragged holes in the bull" for me.

Ain't nothing wrong with that. If that was a bg, he'd be a dead bg.😵
    AzQkr and Wavygravy like this.

Sponsor

That's perfectly fine for SD purposes
    Wavygravy and graydude like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Rather than repeat myself, more on this topic can be found at this forum thread with 45 posts on the topic: https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...-old-eyes.html
    graydude likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

We refer to that as “minute of bad guy” rather than MOA. and, between the screaming, crying, and commotion sure to accompany an SD situation (plus anything originating from witnesses and targets), that’ll get the job done.

Heck, I can do that good all the way out to seven yards!
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar

Point shooting at 15 yards? I wouldn't complain too much about that target. Think I'm pretty safe saying that a BG would be looking for a safer place to ply his trade!
    AzQkr likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Heck, I can do that good all the way out to seven yards!
    My 5 and 7 yard targets aren't any different....
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Try focusing at any distance with a cataract.
    I was "fortunate" to have rapidly developing posterior cataracts in my right (dominant) eye. But, prior to having surgery I went through every combination of iron sight (fibers, white dots, orange dots, ... and every color Project Rudy lens) just to see both the sights and steel targets. Then I tried using my left eye. After surgery I'm 20/20 and 1.5 diopter readers are all I need to see the front sight clearly. One year+ after surgery I final had the sense to get rid of the rear sight dots (long story there) and I'm on a path to get back to where I was 2 years ago. I can't really do much with a bullseye target past 15 yards, but that's not the sport I'm about and my defensive shooting is fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links