Deteriorating Eye Sight - Where Do You Focus

This is a discussion on Deteriorating Eye Sight - Where Do You Focus within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently require 300 readers and in the last couple of years, my distance vision has deteriorated slightly (but not too bad). Since I don't ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Deteriorating Eye Sight - Where Do You Focus

I currently require 300 readers and in the last couple of years, my distance vision has deteriorated slightly (but not too bad). Since I don't think a BG will give me time to don my glasses, I have been practicing with non-corrected safety glasses only. If I focus on the target, my sights are a blur. When focusing on my sights, I have trouble picking up the target.

For those in the same situation, which do you focus on and do you have any tricks/techniques that you have found effective?
    .................................................. ............
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ii; Wife's: Sig P238, LCP ii, Remington 11-87 20G

Distinguished Member
    I have 77 years old eyes. I focus on the front sight. I have bifocal lenses with the closeup part set so I have a sharp sight when it is about 15 inches from my eye. Using the top paper of the lens I can see the target clearly. Shifting between the two parts is effortless. I employ the Center Axis Relock shooting system which does not extend the gun as far from the eyes as Weaver and Isosceles stances.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Mmm, bigger gun, more capacity.
    Sister likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I have 77 years old eyes. I focus on the front sight. I have bifocal lenses with the closeup part set so I have a sharp sight when it is about 15 inches from my eye. Using the top paper of the lens I can see the target clearly. Shifting between the two parts is effortless. I employ the Center Axis Relock shooting system which does not extend the gun as far from the eyes as Weaver and Isosceles stances.
    But what do you do if your glasses are knocked off. That is my issue and I want to have a technique that puts me on target without glasses. I will check out the Center Axis Relock . thanks
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ii; Wife's: Sig P238, LCP ii, Remington 11-87 20G

From my experience and the discussions I've had, for very short range, learn target focused shooting, sometimes called point shooting, although there are some people here who will say I have my terminology is wrong on that. Whatever. For likely defensive shooting ranges, it is not hard to learn.

I think a laser can help at that range also. Lasers can also be good at longer ranges, but they really takes some practice. As that dot gets out farther, it tends to jump around and there is a tendency to "chase the dot" slowing down your shots. I gave up on lasers, but then I can still see my front sight clearly without glasses. I think they may be useful for a defense gun for someone in your situation.

For medium range, like out to 15 yards, a hi-viz front sight seems ideal, like a Truglo tritium fiber optic (TFO) or an XS Big Dot. Out farther, a red dot seems best for old eyes. I have not used red dots, but I hear good things about them from older shooters. The problem seems to be that it can be hard to pick up the dot quickly and that can slow your shots down. I friend of mine who is an IDPA shooter in his 60's, has competition guns both with red dots and without. He said the red dots slow him down, but his distance accuracy is better. So he chooses his sighting system based on the course of fire.

Personally, I use either the TFO or the XS. My strategy is to point shoot close in and use the hi-viz at medium range, with or without glasses. But my vision situation is different.

Linked below is Part 1 of an article on aging vision and shooting. It is from Chris Sajnog's site. He is a former SEAL sniper and the article is written by one of his students who is an optician.

https://chrissajnog.com/vision-shooting-aging-part-1/
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I try to point shoot as much as possible. My eyes are good at distance, not so much for reading ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    If I focus on the target, my sights are a blur. When focusing on my sights, I have trouble picking up the target.
    Actually this is the way it is supposed to be. Your eye can only clearly focus on one distance at a time.

If you are using Front sight press, your front sight should appear clear, against a blurry or out of focus background.

For threat focused or point shooting, the target should be clear, and the front sight ( if it is extended to where the eyes peripheral can pick it up, will be blurry and out of focus, but can still be used as a reference point to adjust from.

I Practice both. Threat focused at very close distances where it is most likely to be beneficial, is easy to learn with a little practice, and may be what you need to practice.
    OldVet, Hatchee, Risasi and 4 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I gave up bulls eye shooting about 3 years ago. That's when my eyesight started going bad. Since then I've been using flash sight picture for all of my shooting from 3-10 yards. Inside 3 yards, I point shoot. Outside 10 yards, I just try to get a normal sight picture. With my glasses on, it's pretty tough to do, and without my glasses, it's impossible.

I'm pretty much a revolver guy and believe it or not, I much prefer the sights on my 442 over any other sights. I like the black trough and bright orange painted blade. It makes fsp so much easier and faster for me.

For point shooting practice, I put my crimson trace laser grips on, load up my revolver with snap caps and dry fire from holster. I'll use light switches, lampshades, or whatever as targets. When done with practice, I put my carry grips back on.

So that's what I do. I wish you luck finding something that works for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deteriorating Eye Sight - Where Do You Focus-screenshot_20190613-082235_gallery_1560432310832.jpg  

glockman10mm, Hatchee and Sister like this.

Try focusing at any distance with a cataract.
    glockman10mm, Hatchee and Sister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Great suggestions...thanks.

Anything under 10', I'm already practicing threat/point shooting. But can't see squat at longer distances. I'm heading out side to give the Center Axis Relock style a try. Dry firing inside does seem to help. I will report back.

One of the things I really like about my new P365 is that I can easily pickup the front sight.
    Sister likes this.

Tried the Center Axis Relock technique and feel that it really helps having the sights closer.
    All these shots were at 6 yds, drawing from pocket, 2 rapid shots then reholster. Top two on the board were using right eye and focusing on the sight. Bottom was using the left eye focused on sights. The top R not on board is right eye focused on target....much tighter group. Unfortunately, it started to rain. But it was evident that focusing on the target/threat yielded better results.
    Attachment 296464

ETA: Holes in the board are NOT from today

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I gave up bulls eye shooting about 3 years ago. That's when my eyesight started going bad. Since then I've been using flash sight picture for all of my shooting from 3-10 yards. Inside 3 yards, I point shoot. Outside 10 yards, I just try to get a normal sight picture. With my glasses on, it's pretty tough to do, and without my glasses, it's impossible.

I'm pretty much a revolver guy and believe it or not, I much prefer the sights on my 442 over any other sights. I like the black trough and bright orange painted blade. It makes fsp so much easier and faster for me.

For point shooting practice, I put my crimson trace laser grips on, load up my revolver with snap caps and dry fire from holster. I'll use light switches, lampshades, or whatever as targets. When done with practice, I put my carry grips back on.

So that's what I do. I wish you luck finding something that works for you.
    This may not be what you've experienced, but I find my point shooting "aim" is different with different grips. So if I practice point shooting with my CT Laser grips, I am going to carry with my CT laser grips, even if the laser is off. I actually like the smaller CT gips for carry anyway.

As far as black, fixed front sights, I found a nice combination: Rust Oleum Florescent sign paint, using Rust Oleum white primer as a first coat. The primer is not necessary for the paint, although it helps with adherence, but the white undercoat makes the florescent color "pop." You can either mask off the sights to apply, or spray a "puddle" onto cardboard and apply with an artist's brush or even a Q-tip. I did green, but they make orange also.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    But what do you do if your glasses are knocked off. That is my issue and I want to have a technique that puts me on target without glasses. I will check out the Center Axis Relock . thanks
    C.A.R. allows me to shoot without glasses because arms are not extended. All I have to do is pusu the gun at a distance from my eye that I can focus on the front sight. My distance vision is pretty good so I can see the target without problems. By the way my reading glasses are 2.75. Rxperiment with the C.A.R. method. It might be good for you.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    C.A.R. allows me to shoot without glasses because arms are not extended. All I have to do is pusu the gun at a distance from my eye that I can focus on the front sight. My distance vision is pretty good so I can see the target without problems. By the way my reading glasses are 2.75. Rxperiment with the C.A.R. method. It might be good for you.
    Great suggestion!! My sight seems to be similar yours. I only got in 70 rounds before the rain started, but I can already tell that this technique will work better for me. Thanks again.
    1942bull likes this.

I have a similar issue. I'm a serious competitor in pistol and have glasses with a prescription that has the focus set at 24.5" for best FS pix.
    But for EDC I don't worry about it as at 10 yards and under, unless you are trying a tight shot, a target focus will produce only slightly larger groups than a FS focus.
    For instance using my competition glasses I can easily shoot 1 ragged hole at 10 yards with a FS focus, if I focus on the target the group will open but still stays well under 2" and all at the same speed. With my everyday glasses a FS focus may double that group but the target focus stays at less than 2" still.
    The key is to be smooth and don't jerk your shots around.
    Hatchee and DaGunny like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links