Are you as proficient with your handgun as you would like to be?

This is a discussion on Are you as proficient with your handgun as you would like to be? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been shooting now for a bit over ten years and despite having taken many courses and hours of instruction, I still feel like I ...

View Poll Results: Are you as proficient with your handgun as you would like to be?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I am a rank beginner.

0 0%
  • No, I am an intermediate.

5 5.81%
  • No, I feel like I can always improve.

62 72.09%
  • Yes, I should as well as I would like to.

7 8.14%
  • Yes, I shoot at the expert level.

5 5.81%
  • Other?

7 8.14%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Are you as proficient with your handgun as you would like to be?

I've been shooting now for a bit over ten years and despite having taken many courses and hours of instruction, I still feel like I can aways learn something new. I am reasonably proficient with a handgun but by no means consider myself to be an "expert."

When I shoot in a class I am usually about in the middle of the group or the upper half of the class. I am by no means the worst, but I certainly am not the best.

How do you rate your skills?
    DZUS, matthew03, TSKnight and 3 others like this.
    You are your own first responder.

I am not fast nor am I slow. My skills are half fast.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    NOPE...never will be.
    G26Raven and forester58 like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Depends on what you are measuring. Back before all the emphasis on tactical skills, house clearing, attacking a fortified position, etc., I used to win old fashioned marksmanship competitions regularly. I still shoot X ring at 10 yards rapid fire with my carry weapon on a daily basis. I have no interest in learning squad tactics for clearing a house as I am not with SWAT or the Corps. If it was practical self-defense not taught by a steroid abusing tactical ninja I am interested to hear what they have to offer. All too often my experience has been that classes to improve my shooting are actually like the moronic ones NRAs now defunct carry insurance was peddling - no thanks.
    G26Raven likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I wish I could practice more live fire, but I can't. Once a week just keeps one average. I've been searching for decent dry fire exercises and haven't found much.
    G26Raven likes this.

VIP Member
    I am comfortable with my current proficiency, but not content with it.

I fired a total of five rounds this morning, off-hand from one of my .45 Shields at seventy yards. When those misses tighten up by the few required inches needed to achieve contentment, I will no doubt back up another five yards, and attempt once again to achieve contentment.

Are you as proficient with your handgun as you would like to be?-dsc04606.jpg
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

I voted other. I have done well at the range, hunting, and in the military shooting guns over the last sixty-seven years. I will let you know how proficient I am if I survive a life-or-death situation now.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Been at it a while. Good with my hand guns or rifles. Not as good as I once was but better than many. Good enough for minute of man or beast. I am will to devote the time a money to get back to where I was in the past. No
    G26Raven and duane_wade like this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

DG
    Until I can shoot like Keanu Reeves in a "John Wick" film, I feel there's always room for improvement.

Who is......?
    duane_wade likes this.

Every time I reach a goal, I look beyond and strive to reach the next hurdle. Unlikely I'll ever feel "good enough."

VIP Member
    I feel I have reached a plateau with my skills as I physically age and can no longer perform them as well as I once did. Eyesight, arthritis, loss of muscle, and loss of fine motor skills have all taken a toll. But I still strive to retard the loss of skill through as much practice as I can find the time and place for.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I shoot at a high level, train very frequently, and take a whole bunch of classes each year, but I will never be where I want to; student for life/zero days off.
    G26Raven, simonp67 and AzQkr like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Ex Member
    I chose "as well as I would like to" because my goal is to be as good as I can be, and I think I have achieved that mark. I dd not chose expert because there were no qualifications for being considered an expert. I merited expert badges for both rifle and pistol in the Corps, but that was determined by a point score not a self evaluation.
    G26Raven and duane_wade like this.

Distinguished Member Array DZUS's Avatar
    Every time I have taken some live-fire training, I've learned some useful things, and I've gained much from good, constructive feedback.

I'm a pretty fair shot at a harmless, paper target. As with others above, there are better shots and I would always like to improve. Usually, I can eat the center out of a target at 10 yards with my carry pieces. I've seen some shooters do better, and I've seen wayyyy too many handgun shooters spray the target, even at close range. (As an aside, I suspect that they're all flinching, holding the piece wrong, pulling the trigger wrong, and sighting wrong. Oh, and standing wrong. Training would do such wonders for these shooters.)

Back to the topic, room for improvement?

Always, and always a worthy goal.

TSKnight, G26Raven and duane_wade like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links