Great common sense article of general carry

This is a discussion on Great common sense article of general carry within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/whe...eid=7c3dc37f23 A little bit of reality (in my view) to mix in with all the "have to" commentary....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Great common sense article of general carry

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/whe...eid=7c3dc37f23

A little bit of reality (in my view) to mix in with all the "have to" commentary.

Nice article, thanks for posting it.
    OldChap and forester58 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Well, I have said some of this here, before, and it has been met with incredulous responses...but I am not dissuaded from whole heartily agreeing with what he said.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Good article. Thanks for the link.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

JWM
    Read back through the “Armed Citizen” columns of the NRA magazine from the 1960-70’s. Lots of accounts from widowed World War 2 veterans, who brought back a Luger from the war and kept it stashed in the bedroom night stand. They pass away and the day comes when the “un-trained/never fired a gun” widow now grabs the Luger in the middle of the night and successfully repels an intruder. I remember reading several of those accounts years ago.
    msgt/ret, G26Raven and OldChap like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Nononono...
    "Must" have MMA, FoF, CQB training with certification to prove it!
    <sarcasm>

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    G-man* and OldChap like this.

It's not that you need all that training (because as the old saying goes "Even a blind hog can find a acorn once in awhile") But the more advantages you have the better you are at finding them.

I see guns and training being the same. Buy a gun, do you need training? NO! But training will make your odds better if you ever need it. So how much training do you need? Only you can answer that question.

Anyone can buy woodworking tools and cut a board and cobble things together but with some training and betterment of skills you can make Master Pieces
    Dial1911 likes this.

Good article that gets down to the gist of it. I like the recognition (paraphrasing) that a bullet doesn't care who fired it. While it's intended to be a recognition of the ability of otherwise helpless people to defend themselves, I also see it as a great reminder of practicing gun safety - your gun is not loyal to you and will shoot you too if you misuse it.
    forester58 likes this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

I think we see dramatic change in the meaning and nature of what it takes to use a gun in self defense which has created a lot of this nonsense.

And, I have been in this thing long enough to notice trends over the years, and the big call for training didn’t start until the heights of the CC popularity.

There was a time when being good with a gun meant being able to hit what you aimed at..... but now it means something else, and the market has controlled that narrative, as to what it means.
    I will concede that the advent of concealed carry has brought about some things that require a learning curb beyond home defense, like the basics of, how to conceal, drawing from a holster, reloads and reloading , etc.......

However, the basic premise of shooting itself has never really changed; hit what you are aiming for.

Truth be told, anyone who can read instructions and observe videos of demonstration can learn to perform things like FSP, firing from retention point shooting, moving and shooting, and pretty much anything that Sam or Suzy Citizen needs to be doing without the need of spending money on formal training. All that is required is a place to and time.

If you don’t have the time and place to practice these things, then it is a moot point to learn it anyway, as any skill you develop will deteriorate in short order.

Nothing wrong with taking formal training. Shooting with like minded people is fun, and, if you are new to the modern defensive carry scene, it would surely be informative.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I put more stock into these common sense articles regarding self defense training than I do the guys advocating or "demanding" that everyone be trained like they are going to be in the special forces.

I don't have the time, money, or interest to take these intensive SD classes. I'm not a fighter, live in a great neighborhood and live a pretty safe life by not visiting stupid places with stupid people doing stupid things. My daily risks are pretty low and a 5 shot revolver in my pocket puts me ahead of the vast majority of the public. I can shoot well but have no interest in learning to shoot well while rolling around on the ground or doing tactical back flips!
    OldChap and forester58 like this.

This quote from the article covers a good bit of the gist:

CARRYING A GUN IS NOT ENOUGH.

TRAIN EVERY DAY.

WHY YOU NEED TO PRACTICE BJJ.

FITNESS FOR SHEEPDOGS: INCORPORATING CROSSFIT INTO YOUR RANGE TIME.

WHY YOU NEED TO TAKE A CQB COURSE.

THIS MAN IS TRAINING EVERY DAY TO KILL YOU (accompanied by a menacing picture)

What these things have in common is that a very large percentage of them are messages from people or organizations trying to sell you things. Because their businesses and their livelihoods depend on selling their product, they will do their best to convince you that the product is necessary.
    Which if you think back started about the time the defensive training "industry" came about.
    G-man*, OldChap and matthew03 like this.
    homo homini lupus est

I am going to be a little contrarian here. While I generally agree with the notion that there is state of training that is "good enough", we have define what is the minimum. On one end of the spectrum we have a family friend that purchased a LCR, shot it the day of the purchase, and has never practiced with it since. That was three years ago. Too me, that is not acceptable and I have offered numerous times to take the friend to the range to practice. Can lead a horse to water .....

In my opinion, if you purchase a gun, the minimum training should include safety instruction or class, complete understanding of how to operate and clean your gun (ie read the manual several times), and occasional practice sessions at the range to build muscle memory on how to operate, re-load, clear a jam and develop comfort with handling your gun. If you choose to carry, learn the law, and develop a basic plan of how you're going to carry (owb, iwb, purse, off-body carry, etc.).

This to me is the minimum to say "good enough".

Thoughts, comments, and criticisms?
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

VIP Member
    The guy Brad Pitt gave the Glock to in World War Z definitely needed more training...
    matthew03 likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Just carrying a gun, as long as someone has the mindset to use it, provides a huge increase in a person's defensive capability over not carrying. Further investment in better equipment and training adds capability, but there are diminishing returns for each additional investment beyond a basic carry gun.

It's a personal decision at what point the capabilities gained by spending more time and money on it no longer provides enough ROI.

To pass the time while waiting for another computer system to upgrade, reboot, and come online I sketched this on a graph; purely conceptual.
    Great common sense article of general carry-defense-preparation.gif
    OldChap, forester58 and AzQkr like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I have experienced training that is far beyond what average people experience.

I have faced a couple of situations totally defenseless (weapon and armor wise) that many people do not survive. I'm not good, just lucky, and have Someone watching over me.

But I am reasonably intelligent and I have realized a few truths about self defense.

1) The object is to SURVIVE.
    2) There are no points awarded for style, skill, viciousness, swiftness of action, draw speed, or shot groupings.
    3) There are no points awarded for utilizing the least or most effective weapons or defenses.
    4) Points ARE awarded when you go home safely to your family.
    5) The only important thing is to SURVIVE.

Training is wonderful, assuming you can afford the time, money, and are physically able to do so. Unfortunately, there WILL come a day when those resources become scarce.

There will also be a day in which one realizes that, having SURVIVED, investing your life, and the time you have to live, in the lives of your family and loved ones is much more important than anything else.

On a lighter note. If I had it all to do over again, I would wish for more skill in recognizing when someone was trying to get me to part with my hard-earned money and invest in beach property in Arizona.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links