Pistol SD gun mag changes - Page 3

Pistol SD gun mag changes

This is a discussion on Pistol SD gun mag changes within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems some people don't know, others don't care to know, some feel it's irrelevant and still others don't carry a spare mag/reloader....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Pistol SD gun mag changes

Sponsor
    It seems some people don't know, others don't care to know, some feel it's irrelevant and still others don't carry a spare mag/reloader.
    Bad Bob and SatCong like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I tried this exercise at the range this morning. It's been a few years since I've done it and honestly don't remember what my times were back then.

I timed it,10 times, from last shot to first shot. Average was 4.315 seconds. 442 pro with moonclips. (The moonclip was in the moonclip holder each time) The Pachmayr compac grip slowed me down a bit. Times would have been a tad faster with my wood grip and my Safariland comp 1 speed loaders I think.

I don't forsee myself ever having to reload in an actual gunfight, and if so, I'm sure it wouldn't be any where near the times I put up today under perfect conditions and the target not shooting back at me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pistol SD gun mag changes-screenshot_20190808-092149_gallery_1565276567908.jpg  

dennis40x, Bad Bob and AzQkr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    You don't carry a spare mag? This thread wasn't meant for you.
    Careful, there. Remarks like that will get you taken off of his Christmas Card list!
    AzQkr likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    You could say that about almost anything. There was a gun writer I used to follow years ago. I can't remember his name offhand. He was Vietnam vet. He was a big fan of snubbies and he got asked, "What would you really want to have if you got in gunfight?"

He said, "An M-60 with 300 rounds and a walkie talkie that I could direct artillery with. But that isn't all that practical here in the city, so I carry my snubby."

Grant Cunningham likes to say, "A platoon of N. Korean paratroopers could land on your front lawn." Then whatever you have will be irrelevant.
    My best friend, who was a Vietnam Vet said once that...”The worst feeling in the world was when you reached for that extra magazine and found there wasn’t another one there!”
    AzQkr and Bad Bob like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

There is a drill I practice where I draw, shoot one round, reload from slidelock, and shoot one round. I can accomplish it in about 4 seconds start to finish. This is from open carry.

I have not timed myself from concealment.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    To me, reload times are not something I would ever worry about.
    Same here, I only practice them for the purpose of having to get the gun running after a problem.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Same here, I only practice them for the purpose of having to get the gun running after a problem.
    Well getting shot at, is a problem.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Well getting shot at, is a problem.
    Well, you practice it all you want...I prefer to only practice for mag/feeding problems.

Is that simple enough for you?
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

My father and uncles (both sides) were all combat veterans from WWII & Korea. When I announced that I was going to join the Corps (during Nam), at least one of them had me shooting once or twice a week. They had me shooting a variety of weapons from a 1911 to a M1 and a M14 (at the time I didn't know it was illegal to own). Each imparted the shooting skills they thought I needed to survive. One of the tenants they taught was to never, absolutely never, let an empty magazine be a surprise. The round count drills were merciless. At any given moment I had to know my exact round count. Being wrong was painful. For the 1911 the drills progressed to me drawing a magazine when I had 2-4 rounds remaining while still shooting. At slide lock, I drop the empty & load the next a spit second after the empty cleared the grip. From slide lock to the next round firing was sub-second. The result of my loving & cruel family's training followed my own relentless drills (in the Corps to today) I've never been surprised by any weapon slide locking on an empty magazine. In combat or at the range I never had to consciously count my rounds...I just know when to reach for a magazine before it runs out.

Like many of the families of the day, we had relatives come home under a flag. My father and uncles vowed that they would do whatever it takes to help the next generation of our family's warriors come home alive. So far, it has worked.
    AzQkr likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Well, you practice it all you want...I prefer to only practice for mag/feeding problems.

Is that simple enough for you?
    The simple one for you is just slide lock, no ammo.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links